BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #89
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
A lot of people (myself included) don't like drilling holes into the front of their bumper. I personally think front plates are pointless to have regardless not where you live. The majority of cars don't even consider the front plate mounting until everything has been designed fully. Of course there's a a way to mount them as an afterthought which is my point. Cars don't go through the window tunnel with a front plate mount meaning they don't account for the additional drag, noise etc. These are minimal things yet they bother me which is why I never keep one mounted. I had an offset mount of my X3 M40i which screwed in under the bumper and had a removable section for your plate ie I never had mine mounted. When I'd get pulled over I usually said I forgot to remount the plate after way the car. So far I haven't gotten a ticket only warnings.
Fully agreed - I'm in the 'hate it' camp on front plates. Quoting myself in multiple conversations with esteemed revenue enforcement agents in the great state of New Jersey - "What, like I'm really going to flee a crime scene in Reverse?"

It is, however, a great mulligan for potential moving violation citations, so yin/yang IMO.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #90
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Fully agreed - I'm in the 'hate it' camp on front plates. Quoting myself in multiple conversations with esteemed revenue enforcement agents in the great state of New Jersey - "What, like I'm really going to flee a crime scene in Reverse?"

It is, however, a great mulligan for potential moving violation citations, so yin/yang IMO.
I resentfully have mine installed via an offset bracket that secures via the mesh area between the ACC sensor and side intake
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #91
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I resentfully have mine installed via an offset bracket that secures via the mesh area between the ACC sensor and side intake
Are you referring to the "slybracket" as detailed in post #69 of this thread?

I'm likely to be ordering/using that one once my G05 arrives here. Will be the first car I've run a front plate on in quite some time most likely.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:56 PM   #92
MovingMetal
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Retrofitting US miss tow hitch plate holder

After weeks in the making I got a machine shop to retro fit the US mill to work on my G05 X5 M50i. after installing it I realized it triggers the parking sensors and is supper annoying. Considering having the shaft shortened hopefully if I bring it closer to bumper it should work well. Here is what it looks like
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #93
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Anybody running this setup?
https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-plat...mw-x5-m-sport/
It's sold out on their website, seems popular but can't find pics.
My friend with an M5 has this bracket and works well, no sensor went off after small adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #94
foodiewithacorgi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' X5 40i; 18' X3m40i

Used the Sly Bracket on mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #95
rtadams1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

I bought the slybracket but decided to do a standard front plate instead. If anyone’s interested, make me an offer. Rather sell here than on the “bay”.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #96
goofytek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X5 40i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodiewithacorgi View Post
I noticed that everyone's Sly Bracket is installed on a angle, pitched forward to the ground. You think there is a way to straighten it to be parallel to the bumper? Angled spacers? Maybe a 3d printed bracket? Anyone have more photos from the front straight on? My plates just came in and CA requires front plates. I have OEM mount in the trunk if all else fails.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #97
nycboy
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 coupe, 2013 X5, 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadams1 View Post
I bought the slybracket but decided to do a standard front plate instead. If anyone’s interested, make me an offer. Rather sell here than on the “bay”.
Will this fit 2013 x5?
      05-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #98
nycboy
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 coupe, 2013 X5, 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I finally got around to installing the Skene bracket (extra short size). It pays to spend some time tweaking the bracket for proper angle and level when mounted and do some dry runs before mounting. I use a smaller drill bit than what they send for the pilot holes...the screws bite harder into the underside that way. With the 3M tape and secured with the screws it's mounted tight. I like the clean look it provides and saves the face of the bumper from drilled holes.

Is this drilled in the plastic bumper? How is it holding up after a year? Thanks.
      05-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #99
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycboy View Post
Is this drilled in the plastic bumper? How is it holding up after a year? Thanks.
It's drilled into the bumper from the bottom, out of site. The 2 screws combined with the 3M tape does the trick. I've used the Skene on a few cars and never had an issue with it. It's holding up fine.

https://skenebrackets.com/pages/installation
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #100
ottohunter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Thanks for the details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbischoff View Post
I pulled the trigger on the mesh Sly Bracket. For reference, I have MSport, ACC, Park Assist. Essentially all the options on the front end that limit the location of the license plate.

https://www.slybrackets.com/store/#!...617/category=0

I spent about 30 minutes trying a few positions until I found one that is working really well so far. No proximity warnings, ACC working as expected. Here are a few pics of the process.

1. I used the second honeycomb row from the bottom as I didn't want the bottom bar touching the bottom trim. I also slid the bottom bar as far to the left as possible, about 1/8" from the trim to get it as far away from the ACC sensor as possible.
Attachment 2007349

2. The first time I went through the process I didn't use spacers, then had to take it apart and do it again. The second time, I used the small spacers that came with the kit. This allowed the final assembly to protrude past the trim enough so I could slide the license plate as far to the left as possible. For reference, I used the middle of the three machine screw holes on the bracket to attach to the mesh grill.
Attachment 2007357
Attachment 2007356

3. Next, I attached the final frame piece that is used to attach the license plate. You can tell by the screws at the right and left which screw holes I used. This allows for the license plate to be positioned just below the left parking sensor and not too low to protrude from the bottom of the bumper.
Attachment 2007358

4. Final assembly after attaching the license plate.
Attachment 2007360
Attachment 2007359

You can tell from this profile photo that the license plate doesn't protrude too far from the bumper, but also isn't so close that you risk scratching it at the same time.
Attachment 2007361

Hope this helps someone else. I'm only about 4 hours into usage but no complaints so far.
We just picked up our 2020 X5 with M Sport Package and ACC and I've been doing a ton of research to try and find a decent front license plate bracket. (Also in VA) Your thorough post helped guide me to a mesh Sly Bracket. Just ordered - really helpful post!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:38 AM   #101
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Just purchased this as well.

Just wondering, though, if this affects the overall cooling capability of the car since a license plate now blocks what looks like the main or auxiliary radiator.

Anyone notice any temperature differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodiewithacorgi View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #102
screwstonspeedster
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Not sure if people are still looking for easily removable front plate solutions for non m sport bumpers, but I think I found a solution for the 2019 xLine x40i. If your order the offset mount platypus bracket from Cravenspeed for a "2019 x5 m sport" it clears the front sensors on my xLine x40i x5.

Link:
https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-plat...mw-x5-m-sport/

Think I've got every driver assistance package you could get on a 2019, and the sensors all seem to work fine with the plate installed.

Someone who seems to be in the same situation as me had the same idea, and their review on the Cravenspeed site comes to the same conclusion that the m sport plate kit works well on a non m sport x5.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #103
xdriv3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
Hello everyone,

Its my first post, I use this easy solution that I had for many of my cars (Two way sticker)

This is extremely strong yet easy to remove, and the residue can be removed without damaging the paint or the body. You just have to find a flat area and use long pieces (Two is good, but three would be extremely strong).

I am installing a ceramic coating on it now and haven't figured out where would the best location to put it on. Will probably share it next week
Cloudy, have you found a spot?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:38 AM   #104
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Feel sorry for you guys who have to put a front plate...It's an eyesore doesn't matter what kind of bracket you get... Just my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #105
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I saw this on a Tesla over the weekend. It's a vinyl sticker. Only legal in California at the moment and costs $70. The G05 front bumper doesn't have enough room vertically for a good installation but it is an interesting idea.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/
Attached Images

Last edited by robby818; 09-08-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #106
nesrock@gmail.com
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5M Comp

Has anyone tried the Tego Automotive License plate retractor?

https://tegoautoproducts.com/product...ate-retractor/

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #107
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesrock@gmail.com View Post
Has anyone tried the Tego Automotive License plate retractor?

https://tegoautoproducts.com/product...ate-retractor/

That's pretty cool and $350 is only slightly disturbed and not totally insane. But be careful, the iOS app hasn't been updated in 3 years — Apple's Bluetooth handling definitely changed in that timeframe so that lack of update may mean it's abandoned. However, just downloaded and tried it and it seems to work and detects all the other Bluetooth devices around me, so maybe ok.

I've now scanned through the entire website and watched all the videos. I have to say, as an engineer, that at least mechanically, this appears to be a very well engineered product, not the fly-by-night hobby hacks you tend to see for stuff like this. I am tempted to try this just to support good engineering for a change, as crazy an overkill as this is (but they don't ship to Canada).

Seems like it would also be cool to attach some Frikin Lasers™ to that in addition to the plate.
      10-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #108
wifesbimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i, E92 M3, '16 F150

I must say the only benefit of living in Alberta, Canada is that we are required to have only the rear plate on our vehicles. I gotta thank the previous conservative government's effort in saving money. Our vehicles look spectacular without the plates in the front.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #109
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

My solution. I've been using this method for my last 4 BMW's and none of them flew off even traveling triple digit speeds (in mexico )

I put two vertical strips of the dual lock tape right next to each other on the side of the plate. Wind pushes the plate into the velcro so its not going anywhere. I use this method on my previous F10, F15, F85, F80 without any issues.

My thoughts are nobody is going around stealing license plates. If they were it doesn't matter how you attach it because you can rip the whole mount off the car in seconds if they wanted to.

The plate looks like its floating and the metal plate does not touch the bumper at all. It also does not impact the sensor below it if you install it like I did all the way up just before the raised edge

Get two packs of this and you are set. Make sure you clean the area to remove any wax/residue, then heat up the tape before applying it to the bumper and to the plate. I would let it sit for a few hours before actually attaching the plate to the car allowing the adhesive to cure. It comes in clear or black. Black is great because you can easily remove the front plate for photos and the black tape sorta blends right into that area of the bumper which you can edit out easily if needed. I for one can't stand off center plates or crooked danging plates with zip ties. Best part is that its all reversible without leaving any marks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      10-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #110
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
My solution. I've been using this method for my last 4 BMW's and none of them flew off even traveling triple digit speeds (in mexico )

I put two vertical strips of the dual lock tape right next to each other on the side of the plate. Wind pushes the plate into the velcro so its not going anywhere. I use this method on my previous F10, F15, F85, F80 without any issues.

My thoughts are nobody is going around stealing license plates. If they were it doesn't matter how you attach it because you can rip the whole mount off the car in seconds if they wanted to.

The plate looks like its floating and the metal plate does not touch the bumper at all. It also does not impact the sensor below it if you install it like I did all the way up just before the raised edge

Get two packs of this and you are set. Make sure you clean the area to remove any wax/residue, then heat up the tape before applying it to the bumper and to the plate. I would let it sit for a few hours before actually attaching the plate to the car allowing the adhesive to cure. It comes in clear or black. Black is great because you can easily remove the front plate for photos and the black tape sorta blends right into that area of the bumper which you can edit out easily if needed. I for one can't stand off center plates or crooked danging plates with zip ties. Best part is that its all reversible without leaving any marks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...UTF8&psc=1
That Scotch stuff IS pretty good, nice solution. If I didn't have a vanity plate that I want to keep for a long time (and therefore protect with a plastic cover), I would have considered that.