06-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
I purchased my first X5 back in 2000 where there were very few options to pick from. At that time it was simply: (1) Do you want the Sport Package; and (2) Do you want the Nav system. That was about it. I loved that car for three years. Fast forward to October of 2014, I decided to come back to the X5 with the purchase of an F15 35d. Like many on this site, I agonized over each and every option and whether to spend the additional money. It was a difficualt task as it was difficult to find a car with all of the options. Moreover, I could never find a car with the Dynamic Handling Package ("DHP"). At the end of the day, I purchased almost every option other than the B&W system and I also opted out of the ACC Stop and Go Option at the time, and I did get the DHP. I custom ordered my car and picked it up in Spartenburg and that is an experience I highly recommend.

The feature I was most thrilled with after the fact DHP. It made the car handle tighter than stock but felt more comfortable overall in every way. I hated going back to the standard system whenever I had a loaner car. I also added the Racechip GTS Black and loved every second of its performance. I loved my car and actually preferred how it drove as compared to the new 40is by a longshot because the suspension was so different. Unfortunately, I had an unfortunate incident with my 35d about a month ago that resulted in it being totalled.

I immediately started the search for her replacement and ultimately purchased a 2019 40i that was fully loaded. It literally has everything except, B&W, glass controls and the third row option. Please note, I am all about driving dynamics and performance. My new car came equipped with the 2 axle air suspension system on top of the M tuning and the integral active steering option. While it does not eliminate body roll as well as the DHP in my previous car, my new car handles far tighter and is far more comfortable to drive. It is amazing!

Like DHP, it is difficult to find a car on a lot with the integrated steering option as most people (and dealers for that matter) do not realize the difference in makes in the driving dynamics. Quite frankly, most dealers had no clue what a difference DHP in the F15s. For anyone designing their car now, get the integral active steering with air suspension. You will not be sorry. I have driven the standard version and adaptive M versions of the 40i extensively. The difference in handling and comfort are huge! Whether you are a performance driver or looking for more comfort, these options will benefit you immensely. If you don't believe me, make sure you test drive the option before you make your purchase.

For what it is worth, since my current car has every option available, here are my thoughts for your consideration:
(1) Color – My new car is Arctic Grey Metallic and I absolutely love it. My former car was Black Saphire and I had always wished I had gone with Carbon Black. When looking for my new car, I didn't even consider Arctic Grey because it does not show well in pictures. Then I saw it in person. It actually looks more like a deep blue in the sunlight and compliments the blue in the laser lights and the M Sport Brake Pads. See it in person before you decide.

(2) Merino Leather – It is soooo much softer and more comfortable than the standard leather. It is worth the extra investment. That said, make sure you get Extended only. The Full essentially adds leather to the underside of the dash at a ridiculous cost tat is not worth it. DO NOT settle for Sensatec. I had a loaner for a week and it is not comfortable at all. Frankly, this car should not be offered without leather.

(3) Leather Dash – This used to be an important option in the F15s but is not as important anymore. The car comes with the dash covered in SensaTec standard and does not look that different with actual leather although it does feel different. If you are trying to save money, this is a place to do it.

(4) Glass Controls – This makes one of the biggest impacts on the interior of the car and is far cheaper to add at the beginning than after. I know because I just added it because it makes that much of a difference both in look and feel. Please note there is an aftermarket conversion kit for the idrive controller that costs about $100 that makes a big difference even if you don't like the glass shifter. It is a simple cover for your existing controller. You do not have to unplug anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Multi...458&sr=8-1

Below is a picture of it installed prior to my installation of the glass shifter in case you are wondering what it looks like.

BMW dealers will sell you the glass shifter for $725. Please note that in order to get the lights to work, you will have to add 4A2 to the FA of your car and then VO a few modules. It is very easy if you know what you are doing.

(5) Haraman Kardon – This is a huge upgrade over the standard system as long as you learn how to adjust the Surround Logic controls.

(6) M Sport Brakes – they stop much more effectively than the standard and look great.

(7) Driver Assistance Pro – I like to control my driving but, this system works so well, I may change my mind. You also need to purchase this system if you hope to take advantage of the additional autonomous driving features in the car that may be activated at a later date through a software upgrade like traffic light recognition.

(8) Wheels – the 21" runflats work and feel awesome with the air suspension system. The 19 and 20" are not nearly as responsive. The 21's without the air suspension can fee fairly rough however.

(9) Parking Assistance – The system is incredible and comes in very handy!

(10) M vs. Regular line – Make sure you notice visual differences of the M having body color over the wheel wells and, more importantly, the elimination of the metal plate that dominates the lower back of the regular version.

That's all I have for now. Good luck to each of you crafting just the right car for your circumstance. The X5 has a lot of different flavors for folks. I hope some of this might help someone figure out their true favorite flavor. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Trojanlaw; 06-05-2020 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 5
      06-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
JerZBMerLife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
That's a very beautiful car. I just ordered Arctic Grey w/white leather (always wanted to try white but was scared..LOL). I definitely like the 21s better than the 20s visually; but I opted for the 20s w/all seasons. I live in NYC metro and I have an Audi S4 with the performance Pirelli PZero's and when you hit our potholes; it feels like you're driving on rubber bands and your car is going to break in half.. LOL. Roads in the Northeast just aren't built for these tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Looks great! I ordered the aftermarket shifter/idrive cover/start button. Hopefully it arrives next week, I plan to post some pics. Others may hate it, but I think it adds something special to the interior.

Love the 21s, they’re staggered and have performance vs all season run flats. I chose between two X5s, ultimately missing out on the 21s for 20s because I just didn’t love the color it was on.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:49 AM   #4
phillydilles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZBMerLife View Post
That's a very beautiful car. I just ordered Arctic Grey w/white leather (always wanted to try white but was scared..LOL). I definitely like the 21s better than the 20s visually; but I opted for the 20s w/all seasons. I live in NYC metro and I have an Audi S4 with the performance Pirelli PZero's and when you hit our potholes; it feels like you're driving on rubber bands and your car is going to break in half.. LOL. Roads in the Northeast just aren't built for these tires.
How well (or not) does the BMW true leather in white hold up?

I had the classic tan in my 981 and the white Sensatec in my 428, and both did not hold up well AT ALL to my jeans (which is a daily wear for me).

Went with black for now in the G05, but I wish I could get that gorgeous white/blue combo when I order my F95... 😭

Looks awesome, though! Congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:37 AM   #5
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Looks great! I ordered the aftermarket shifter/idrive cover/start button. Hopefully it arrives next week, I plan to post some pics. Others may hate it, but I think it adds something special to the interior.

Love the 21s, they’re staggered and have performance vs all season run flats. I chose between two X5s, ultimately missing out on the 21s for 20s because I just didn’t love the color it was on.
Here is the BMW shifter installed aftermarket. It requires coding to get the lights to work but I agree it's awesome. Please be aware that the non BMW shifters will not change color. They will light X white at all times and not change to orange at night the way the real one does as in this picture.

Also, please note that the BMW glass start stop button does not fit the standard control unit. You have to go with an after market version. Mine should arrive next week.
Attached Images

06-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
JerZBMerLife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydilles View Post
How well (or not) does the BMW true leather in white hold up?

I had the classic tan in my 981 and the white Sensatec in my 428, and both did not hold up well AT ALL to my jeans (which is a daily wear for me).

Went with black for now in the G05, but I wish I could get that gorgeous white/blue combo when I order my F95... 😭

Looks awesome, though! Congrats!!!
My build date isn't until July so I haven't got it yet; but I did some research that said you can get ceramic coating on the white leather and it will make it easy to remove any bluejean stains. I don't drive a lot and usually turn in lease with only 14K miles after 3 years so I'm hoping to minimize this issue. I'm definitely going to post updates on what I learn about taking care of white leather in this forum.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 08:44 AM   #7
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
For those of you ordering new, it appears that integral active steering will no longer be available for the 40i after MY 2020. Don't miss out if you are thinking about it!!