BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

UK BMW X5 3.0d M-Sport vs Mercedes GLE 350d AMG Line Plus

As the title suggests has any UK based X5 3.0d owner/potential purchaser made any comparisons with the 2020 Mercedes GLE 350d AMG Line Plus?

I have deliberately chosen the 350d as it has a V6 diesel engine which is comparable in power output as the BMW 3.0d unit.

On paper the Mercedes does appear to be a premium vehicle with a very good specification and at a very competative price. The only downside for me personally is the column gear change as it is something I have never experienced in 35 years of driving.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330dMSXD View Post
As the title suggests has any UK based X5 3.0d owner/potential purchaser made any comparisons with the 2020 Mercedes GLE 350d AMG Line Plus?

I have deliberately chosen the 350d as it has a V6 diesel engine which is comparable in power output as the BMW 3.0d unit.

On paper the Mercedes does appear to be a premium vehicle with a very good specification and at a very competative price. The only downside for me personally is the column gear change as it is something I have never experienced in 35 years of driving.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
car wow did a great you tube review of all premium SUV's and also the new GLE. X5 always comes out on top. I did consider the new GLE, but something just doesn't sit right for me with the new interior and the rear end/window doesn't look right somehow.
Reports of plasticy interior trims, middle vents look out of place. The problem you have is the X5 is so well designed end executed, the 30d is without doubt the envy of all other manufacturers. best thing would be go and sit in both and drive them.

I tried hard to not buy the X5, but simply ended up looking at them over and over again. Q8, New Cayenne, etc.. they all have compromises, just the X5 has the least IMHO
Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      07-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #3
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

I was in the same boat as you. In terms of exterior, the Merc wins, no doubt about that. Looks a lot more aggressive and premium looking but the interior is MILES behind the X5. Technology wise as well. Even the most expensive seat option for the GLE looks like a bench that came out of a van or something. I do like the Merc double screen layout a bit more then the BMW but that's the only positive. I still can wrap my head around why they changed their design philosophy. I mean, the A class looks much better than the Merc on the inside. To be totally fair, the X5/X6 have the best interior of any SUV (bar Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls etc.) Porsche is nice but plastic dashboard is a huge put off for me. Q8 looks dated as hell. Range Rover is quite plastic-y. I know I'm mainly talking about the interior but at the nd of the day that's where you spend 100% of your time when driving so that was my driving factor.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List

Don't think BMW have anything to worry about regarding looking inside or out tbf
Attached Images

Last edited by TK - 421; 07-05-2020 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:58 AM   #5
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post

Don't think BMW have anything to worry about regarding looking inside or out tbf
That's a X5M not a 30d though. Hardly comparable
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:04 AM   #6
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
?? i was comparing the X5m to the GLE 63s?? hence the 2 pictures
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:25 AM   #7
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
I thought exactly the same, didn’t see the the big white lettering next to the Merc. It really does not look tha special at all
I had two full fat AMG’s (C63 & E63) and the interiors did not feel ‘premium’ In fact the seats on the E63 were comfort and they were bloody awful, Merc’s sports seats were much better.
Merc lead the world in premium cars (affordable to the nearly rich folk I mean) but they have long lost that crown
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:28 AM   #8
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
I thought exactly the same, didn't see the the big white lettering next to the Merc. It really does not look tha special at all
I had two full fat AMG's (C63 & E63) and the interiors did not feel 'premium' In fact the seats on the E63 were comfort and they were bloody awful, Merc's sports seats were much better.
Merc lead the world in premium cars (affordable to the nearly rich folk I mean) but they have long lost that crown
agreed, my old C63s seats were awful! AMG GT seats are pretty good to be fair. in all honesty there are not many great seats. as a kid i always remember cars from the 70's having huge sofa like seats. long gone are those days.

couple more standard looking images, Still think the G05 looks stunning
Attached Images

Last edited by TK - 421; 07-06-2020 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #9
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
?? i was comparing the X5m to the GLE 63s?? hence the 2 pictures
Yeah but the thread is about the looks of the standard cars, 30d vs 350d not their M or AMG counterparts hence my reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #10
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah but the thread is about the looks of the standard cars, 30d vs 350d not their M or AMG counterparts hence my reply.
yeah but i put those pictures above?

regardless they are the same body design, i was more pointing out that the best of each model the BMW IMHO looks better, the same goes for the rest of the line up like for like.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for your replies guy's, they are very much appreciated.

I have always been a BMW or Audi driver for the best part of 30 years and in that time owned about 12 models including an E53 X5, 1st generation Q7, X1's, 3 series saloons and convertibles, A4 Avants etc, etc.

I have to confess that my experience with my E53 was not a good one as it had problem after problem, finally making way for the Q7 which was faultless.

Im back on the SAV scene now having considered a M340d Touring which with the lower ingress and egress didnt quite agree with my arthritic hips! And so having never owned a Mercedes thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and looked at the 2020 GLE which looks a lot better than its previous incarnation.

Visually the GLE looks quite bulkier than the X5 and the cockpit in the GLE I think is up there with the X5. The seating in the GLE is not as good as the X5. However, specification and price wise the GLE is ticking all the right boxes and has a far greater spec when comparing either 3.0d and 4.0d M-Sport models v GLE AMG Line Premium Plus 350d or 400d, although oddly I havent seen any reference to a heated steering wheel in the GLE

The one thing that I have a dislike for on all Mercedes cars is the Column gear change, but I'm sure I could get used to it. On the other hand the X5 has the split tailgate which is something I do like.

My X5 configuration in 4.0d M-Sport guise is coming out at £79k where as the GLE 400d in AMG Line Premium Plus which is similarly specced is £72k. Incentives appear more generous on the X5 than the GLE.

Im hoping to arrange a test drive of both models when the present situation relating to Covid 19 allows but in the meantime I'm waiting patiently to see if the UK government offer any incentives to potential car buyers to kick start the economy......an nice VAT reduction would be most welcome
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
car wow did a great you tube review of all premium SUV's and also the new GLE. X5 always comes out on top. I did consider the new GLE, but something just doesn't sit right for me with the new interior and the rear end/window doesn't look right somehow.
Reports of plasticy interior trims, middle vents look out of place. The problem you have is the X5 is so well designed end executed, the 30d is without doubt the envy of all other manufacturers. best thing would be go and sit in both and drive them.

I tried hard to not buy the X5, but simply ended up looking at them over and over again. Q8, New Cayenne, etc.. they all have compromises, just the X5 has the least IMHO
I did read that review which was abouta year ago.

Personally I thought the GLE switchgear was of a far better quality than found in the X5, although the seating is far more premium in the X5. The MBUX system has had rave reviews with many motoring writers commenting that it is up there with BMW's idrive which I wont argue with as it is very intuitive just like the idrive system.

Standard spec on the GLE appears far higher than the X5 with panoramic sunroof, 22" wheels, nappa leather and seven seats all standard on the Premium Plus model.

Price point on the GLE is also another consideration as it is very competatively priced.

I will test drive them both and them make a decision which im guessing will not be easy.
Appreciate 0