BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Stealth Trailer Hitch

Just bought my wife the X5 40I M sport. Needed a trailer hitch and found that Stealth Hitches already has one available. Looks pretty slick and I will post up pics once I receive it and install.
For anyone out there that needs one it's a great option. Completely hidden when the receive is removed.

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...5-2019-present
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
The factory hitch is nice and subtle, disappears with black. Works great with my Kuat bike rack.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
trev230
Captain
Rep

Problem is they don't sell the factory hitch unless it's built with the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoyG View Post
The factory hitch is nice and subtle, disappears with black. Works great with my Kuat bike rack.
You also lose the foot trunk open feature with a factory hitch not to mention it doesn't look great. I don't want one either way since I can't bike where I'm at. Stealth hitches are pretty nice because they're 100% hidden unless in use.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
You also lose the foot trunk open feature with a factory hitch not to mention it doesn't look great. I don't want one either way since I can't bike where I'm at. Stealth hitches are pretty nice because they're 100% hidden unless in use.
Quote:
Quote:
Do they still provide the same weight capacity as the factory installed hitch?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
trev230
Captain
Rep

Yes, same capacity and completely hidden when not in use.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Will this negate the kick to open feature?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, I knew that adding the hitch to the X3 meant no kick to open on the hatch, but I didn't realize this is the case with the X5, as well. If this is true, it takes the X5 completely off my list. I was already on the fence about the terrible gauges and poor map implementation in the cluster, so losing kick to open will seal it for me. Looks like the Q7 is in my future.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGuy_KCCO View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, I knew that adding the hitch to the X3 meant no kick to open on the hatch, but I didn't realize this is the case with the X5, as well. If this is true, it takes the X5 completely off my list. I was already on the fence about the terrible gauges and poor map implementation in the cluster, so losing kick to open will seal it for me. Looks like the Q7 is in my future.
You shouldn't lose it with a non factory hitch. If that's the deciding factor to get an inferior vehicle (Q7) by all means do so
Appreciate 4
MystroX56243.00
mnewnam268.00
LexxM31697.50
Cooltones241.00
      12-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

[QUOTE=trev230;24120979]Just bought my wife the X5 40I M sport. Needed a trailer hitch and found that Stealth Hitches already has one available. Looks pretty slick and I will post up pics once I receive it and install.
For anyone out there that needs one it's a great option. Completely hidden when the receive is removed.

This is a lot like the invisihitch we had on our F15. Loved it! Integrated perfectly with the X5 and anytime you had a bulb out on your trailer you were alerted on the dash.
      12-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My in-laws have the Q7 Prestige, my parents just picked up the G5-40i M-Sport, both cars are great in their own ways, but there is just something too simple and missing about Audi. You just can't beat BMW, I wouldn't let a lack of kicking to open your hatch prevent you from getting a G05.

Having the map in the Instrument cluster is actually a massive distraction. I much prefer directions in the HUD or on the Control Display. Keep the Instrument cluster for vehicle parameters, not an entertainment screen. Gauge layout is actually really nice when you use it, incredibly responsive too.

Both hitch options are great IMO, we have a stealth hitch on our E70 and absolutely love it. By chance, is Stealth Hitch the old Invisihitch / Execuhitch from GA? The receiver looks 100% identical. Didn't know if they just re-branded or what the deal was.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #12
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Not sure, if BMW is making any kind of statements about using weight distribution hitch with the G05 hitch... kind of important for me, as I tow heavy trailer.

Anyway, Stealth Hitch would definitely mean no weight distribution. Probably not an issue for most folks here.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Really? I have this option on G30. One of the options which does not work as it should and I stopped trying to use it.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #14
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

This is not thanks to the hitch, but thanks to the electrical harness. Even when going aftermarket hitch path, you should consider OEM wire harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
This is a lot like the invisihitch we had on our F15. Loved it! Integrated perfectly with the X5 and anytime you had a bulb out on your trailer you were alerted on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #15
hmbmd
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

I had an invisihitch on my 2016 F15 X5. Worked great for 18 months and then the mechanism rusted. I had to use pliers every time I used it and by the time I traded it in is was not functional at all. My 2019 has factory hitch which looks ok to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #16
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbmd View Post
I had an invisihitch on my 2016 F15 X5. Worked great for 18 months and then the mechanism rusted. I had to use pliers every time I used it and by the time I traded it in is was not functional at all. My 2019 has factory hitch which looks ok to me.
Yes for the dash warning to work you have to have the BMW ECU and harness.

All I ever did was spray WD-40 or penetrating oil in the receiver once every few months. Never had any rust or sticking issues.
      12-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #17
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
When we did G05 training they told us the kick to open is still there, just moved to one side of the hitch. I will test it and confirm.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 2
PhatBoyG211.50
TLg0513.00
      12-17-2018, 12:15 AM   #18
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
When we did G05 training they told us the kick to open is still there, just moved to one side of the hitch. I will test it and confirm.
Is this with the factory hitch?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #19
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Really? I have this option on G30. One of the options which does not work as it should and I stopped trying to use it.

Quote:
It works perfectly on my lowly Touareg. Somehow, VW even figured out how to make it work with a factory hitch. Shocking, I know.

I use this feature all the time, so it is definitely a deal-breaker for me. You can all call me crazy if you'd like, but the fact is this is a nice feature to have and I use it on my current vehicle frequently. Every other car manufacturer has figured out how to do it with a factory hitch, so why can't BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #20
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
It works perfectly on my lowly Touareg. Somehow, VW even figured out how to make it work with a factory hitch. Shocking, I know.

I use this feature all the time, so it is definitely a deal-breaker for me. You can all call me crazy if you'd like, but the fact is this is a nice feature to have and I use it on my current vehicle frequently. Every other car manufacturer has figured out how to do it with a factory hitch, so why can't BMW?
Except they didn't for Audi...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Except they didn't for Audi...
Interesting. So the same applies to the Q7: no kick to open with the factory hitch? Guess I'll be keeping the Touareg for much longer than I expected, which really isn't a problem as it has been perfect. It drives great and I've had zero issues in 30k miles. The wife will be happy, since she loves the Touareg and doesn't want to get rid of it.

Update: Did some research and found the Q7 does indeed offer the kick to open feature with the factory hitch. Not sure then what was meant by the "except they didn't for Audi" comment...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #22
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Interesting. So the same applies to the Q7: no kick to open with the factory hitch? Guess I'll be keeping the Touareg for much longer than I expected, which really isn't a problem as it has been perfect. It drives great and I've had zero issues in 30k miles. The wife will be happy, since she loves the Touareg and doesn't want to get rid of it.

Update: Did some research and found the Q7 does indeed offer the kick to open feature with the factory hitch. Not sure then what was meant by the "except they didn't for Audi" comment...
I had an Audi and it was a contested issue for them, at least before MY19 and excluding brand new vehicles like the Q8.
Appreciate 0