BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Qwertyjackie
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Dog barrier for trunk area?

Has anyone found a dog barrier for keeping their beast in the trunk area?

Looking for something like this, but doesn’t look like they have anything for the G05 yet.

https://www.travall.com/travallguard-tdg1166-html.html

In my MDX we just used a rear seat cover for both dogs, but it’s really not ideal. Our 2 year old Airedale constantly tries to get up front while I’m driving. I have tried belting him in and he manages to undo the buckle.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
JGoodell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyjackie View Post

Looking for something like this, but doesn’t look like they have anything for the G05 yet.

In my MDX we just used a rear seat cover for both dogs, but it’s really not ideal. Our 2 year old Airedale constantly tries to get up front while I’m driving. I have tried belting him in and he manages to undo the buckle.
Travall’s are the best...wait until their version comes out.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
incubatewhisky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMX X5 (G05)

I bought this one in November for $50, and it has worked well. I'm waiting for a better one to be made but this works for me right now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MABGE

Here's my previous post (if you scroll to my OP you can see a picture with the dog fence in the background)
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24159554
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

travall.com now has their pet barrier available for the G05: https://www.travall.com/travallr-guard-bmw-x5-2018.html

I have already purchased and installed this. Quality is on par for travall pet barrier (only comparison I have is their pet barrier for 2017 X3), but the way it installs is not quite as good as the other one we have on the X3.

The small issue I see with the G05 model is related to the 2 steels rods used to 'secure' the barrier so it won't move. On the G05 model those 2 rods connect all the way down at the cargo floor using 2 of the cargo tie-down points. Whereas the model we have from them for the X3 those rods connect to the latches that lock the rear seats in upright position (i.e. only about 1/3 of the way down instead of all the way to the cargo floor).

If my description of this is unclear, the images on the travall.com website illustrate this pretty good.

With the above said, it seems like a minor issue to me when I compare the 2 designs. With those rods going all the way to the cargo floor, they could get in the way if someone needed to load something very wide into the cargo area...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
BimmerNor
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There is also a German company that offers pet barrier and divider:
https://www.kleinmetall.de/en/master...-2018-20300175

This one differs slightly from the Travall as it is not fastened to the cargo floor, but to the latches that locks the rear seats. Similar to the X3 design rlou is referring to.
If you plan to buy the divider as well, be aware that the one from Travall doesn’t fit the 45e/ hybrid due to the raised cargo floor, whereas the one from Kleinmetall does. (Contacted both of them since I was aware of the raised cargo floor)

Last edited by BimmerNor; 04-24-2020 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:10 AM   #6
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Following with interest. Has anyone found any that fold up/down as my two bulldogs won’t be in the car all that often so would be nice to not block visibility all the time.

Did I imagine that one of the storage options come with a pull down divider? Obviously not strong enough for big dogs but for my two would prob suffice. Can it be retro fitted as I didn’t spec it?

Last edited by Unit; 04-26-2020 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:29 AM   #7
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Looks like the company in the OP now makes a guard for the G05.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

I have the one form KleinMetall as well as the StarLiner boot liner. My only other experience with these has been the OEM BMW one for my i3 and I think the way this one fits is better. It is not attached to the floor, so really easy to lower the seats and use the full depth. I haven't put a divider in as it is either dog or luggage etc. at the moment.

I did also get a harness for the dog form KleinMetall too (https://www.kleinmetall.de/allsafe-comfort-15390100) so he could sit with the kids in the back. It is so well made I'm sure you could tow an X5 with it (assuming dog is capable).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyjackie View Post

i got a dog cage that fits nicely and which is mobile enough so I can put it in and take it out whenever I want to
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Some pictures from the kleinmetall installed in my g05.
I had the travall in my f11

Both are good quality.

Pro kleinmetall

- rubber feet are better and bigger
- I like the black color better than the gray travall
- g05 travall has some bars that go to the floor and will be probably a problem in the 45e raised floor

Pro travall

- a little bit cheaper

Also I can remove the kleinmetal g05 very fast with 2 hand screws, 2 minutes work.... In my f11 I needed to loose 4 screws for the feet or I couldn't get it out easy. Not that i did removed it a lot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #11
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Is that the Masterline from Kleinmetall? I see they make a couple of different versions.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Is that the Masterline from Kleinmetall? I see they make a couple of different versions.
Yes it is the masterline. The others are universal ones...

https://www.kleinmetall.de/en/master...-2018-20300175

Pictures on their site are not up to date...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #13
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlou View Post
travall.com now has their pet barrier available for the G05: https://www.travall.com/travallr-guard-bmw-x5-2018.html

I have already purchased and installed this. Quality is on par for travall pet barrier (only comparison I have is their pet barrier for 2017 X3), but the way it installs is not quite as good as the other one we have on the X3.

The small issue I see with the G05 model is related to the 2 steels rods used to 'secure' the barrier so it won't move. On the G05 model those 2 rods connect all the way down at the cargo floor using 2 of the cargo tie-down points. Whereas the model we have from them for the X3 those rods connect to the latches that lock the rear seats in upright position (i.e. only about 1/3 of the way down instead of all the way to the cargo floor).

If my description of this is unclear, the images on the travall.com website illustrate this pretty good.

With the above said, it seems like a minor issue to me when I compare the 2 designs. With those rods going all the way to the cargo floor, they could get in the way if someone needed to load something very wide into the cargo area...
Can your barrier be taken off easily and quickly?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #14
ottohunter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Can you recommend a Cargo Liner?

I am looking for a cargo liner that attaches to the rear seat headrests, but also has the ability to protect the sides of the cargo area up to about 17 inches.

I found this one on Amazon, but it doesn't come in black:

https://www.amazon.com/FrontPet-Quil...93&sr=8-5&th=1

On our last X5 we had the Hamilton Ultimate Pet Liner (https://www.cargoliner.com/collectio...mate-pet-liner) but it attached to the vehicle with a ton of velcro patches and was difficult to remove and clean. I'd prefer something that I can easily remove and is machine washable.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 03:59 PM   #15
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Why not use the standard BMW mesh separation? I bought it for mine, and it's fitted, doesn't really go in the way of visibility. Mind you, our lab is very tame and just use the back seats (in a "sling" protection cover thing) so we actually never /needed/ the mesh, but I think it'd work pretty well -- unless your dogs are so rabbid they'd chew they way out or something..
      07-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #16
ottohunter
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Why not use the standard BMW mesh separation? I bought it for mine, and it's fitted, doesn't really go in the way of visibility. Mind you, our lab is very tame and just use the back seats (in a "sling" protection cover thing) so we actually never /needed/ the mesh, but I think it'd work pretty well -- unless your dogs are so rabbid they'd chew they way out or something..
I'm looking for something that will protect the cargo area and sides from dog fur; our dogs shed quite a bit and with the black carpet, the cargo area turns white after having our dogs in the car for about an hour. It's more about protecting the car than keeping the dogs in one area. Thanks for the suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:05 AM   #17
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottohunter View Post
I'm looking for something that will protect the cargo area and sides from dog fur; our dogs shed quite a bit and with the black carpet, the cargo area turns white after having our dogs in the car for about an hour. It's more about protecting the car than keeping the dogs in one area. Thanks for the suggestion!
I've done this recently mate as I have two bulldogs so need to keep the boot free from fure, mud (and puke when I put my foot down! ). Very pleased with this combo:

This lines the entire cargo area (floor sides and seat backs) and fits very well indeed. Secured with velcro strips and can be removed to wash.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But as I don't want to be removing it often I then have this Gledring rubber matt on top of it as it's quick and easy to lift out and hose down after the dogs have been in the boot after a muddy walk:

Last edited by Unit; 07-20-2020 at 03:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #18
ottohunter
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
I've done this recently mate as I have two bulldogs so need to keep the boot free from fure, mud (and puke when I put my foot down! ). Very pleased with this combo:

This lines the entire cargo area (floor sides and seat backs) and fits very well indeed. Secured with velcro strips and can be removed to wash.

But as I don't want to be removing it often I then have this Gledring rubber matt on top of it as it's quick and easy to lift out and hose down after the dogs have been in the boot after a muddy walk:

That actually looks perfect! I love that it has cutouts for the seat pull down handles. Unfortunately, I can't find it here in the States. I ended up ordering the FrontPet one in black direct from the manufacturer. Will post pics once I get it. I wish I could have found the Stayclean one - it looks ideal.
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      09-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #19
Zeee
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
i got a dog cage that fits nicely and which is mobile enough so I can put it in and take it out whenever I want to
Is this the Pro 3 Large? How does it fit?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #20
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

For those in the US. The Travall system is back in stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:48 PM   #21
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
Is this the Pro 3 Large? How does it fit?

Thx
Yes it is, sorry for late reply. The trunk sliding part - that horizontal separator (dunno in english) has to be taken out and then it fits nicely as if it was designed for the car. It's resting on top of a winter floor mat my trunk. That way it cannot slide around and I don't have to tie it down. So it sits loose in my trunk because the floor mat surface keeps it in place. If you put it to the far right you can still fit a box or luggage next to it in terms of width. It is spacey already for our labrador but it's essentially a cage for a single medium sized dog.

I take it out when I don't need it. It weighs a bit but it's do-able also to put it in and take it out whenever you feel like it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:45 AM   #22
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu3ed View Post
Can your barrier be taken off easily and quickly?
Sorry for the very late reply, no I wouldn't call it easy or quickly. More like medium effort, about 10-15 minutes. After seeing the German brand above, that design looks much better IMO.
Appreciate 0