BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #23
snemi00
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

I did my first wash on my CB 40i today with a foam cannon and some chemical brothers snow foam.
I've always wanted an excuse to get a spotless rinse system like the CR Spotless so went to a couple local window wash supply houses to see what they have. I picked up an Unger HydroPower setup instead as it's much less obtrusive than the CR Spotless one. The concept behind these systems with the filter media is all the similar. The Unger has also recently released a consumer version of this that's smaller and cheaper they call the Rinse-n-Go https://ungerconsumer.com/product/rinse-n-go/

The good thing about this system is I got the combo kit with telescoping brush to use it for its main intended purpose of cleaning all my house windows. I've had a service come in previously and the guys used a similar system and windows all come spotless. Easy and quick.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #24
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
30 years of detailing experience and concourse events.
If your just starting out, I recommend investing in a foam gun and learn this method. I have migrated into this method with a bucket and my typical kit. The foam gun gets a lubricant over the vehicle more efficiently and helps eliminate scratches. I thought it was a gimmick but have become a believer. I am currently using this model. Get a quality microfiber mit and a good supply of microfiber cloths.
Mystro - I went by my detailer's shop and he did a wash with foam gun. It was:

1 - rinse with 25 degree power wash
2 - foam coverage - he uses Feynlab Pure Wash
3 - hand wash with microfiber, Feynlab Rinseless
4 - Rinse
5 - Dry with microfiber

My question is whether you do the foam/rinse or the method above.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 07:48 PM   #25
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by specracer View Post
Plus one on CR Spotless. I buy the replacement resin in bulk from a window cleaning supply company (cheaper). Will solve your water spotting. You must pay close attention to the meter. Over 20ppm and there will be spots.

https://crspotless.com/
If you are in CA or AZ, you have a better alternative to CRSpotless.
https://puretecwater.com/

These are industrial quality tanks but they can deliver to your home. One tank gets you 700-1000gallons.
See my post here : Here's a good alternative to CRSpotless. It provides industrial quality DI water
My post here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=33

Last edited by araje; 02-13-2020 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #26
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I washed the car earlier, it was *filthy* so my concern was to detach as much grit as possible first.

+ Power wash with plain water, everywhere, wheel arches etc etc to remove the mud and worst bits
+ Snow foam to get some lubricant everywhere.
+ One bucket with water with shampoo, and a soft brush, brush the car everwhere gently, keeping the brush soaked in shampoo to remove stuff that is attached to the paint.
+ Rince with the hose (already look a lot better)
+ Two bucket wash with a mitt -- here it's nice because I know the paint has /most/ of the grit removed
+ Rince again with the hose (not the power washer), loads of water to remove anything that's been detached from the paint.

Then:
+ Electric leaf blower to 90% dry the car (look these up, they are AWESOME, especially you guys who have water marks!)
+ Two large microfiber towels (from Decathlon)
+ ONE where I spray the "Meguiar's G190526EU Hybrid Ceramic Wax" and put a gentle coat on one/two panels at a time
+ ONE that is dry and I use for buffing a bit.

That's it. I didn't do a full wheel clean as it's winter and the car will be dirty tomorrow again; what I wanted was remove the salt and grit from the road and revive the ceramic hybrid coating.
      03-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #27
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
I washed the car earlier, it was *filthy* so my concern was to detach as much grit as possible first.

+ Power wash with plain water, everywhere, wheel arches etc etc to remove the mud and worst bits
+ Snow foam to get some lubricant everywhere.
+ One bucket with water with shampoo, and a soft brush, brush the car everwhere gently, keeping the brush soaked in shampoo to remove stuff that is attached to the paint.
+ Rince with the hose (already look a lot better)
+ Two bucket wash with a mitt -- here it's nice because I know the paint has /most/ of the grit removed
+ Rince again with the hose (not the power washer), loads of water to remove anything that's been detached from the paint.

Then:
+ Electric leaf blower to 90% dry the car (look these up, they are AWESOME, especially you guys who have water marks!)
+ Two large microfiber towels (from Decathlon)
+ ONE where I spray the "Meguiar's G190526EU Hybrid Ceramic Wax" and put a gentle coat on one/two panels at a time
+ ONE that is dry and I use for buffing a bit.

That's it. I didn't do a full wheel clean as it's winter and the car will be dirty tomorrow again; what I wanted was remove the salt and grit from the road and revive the ceramic hybrid coating.
I wouldn't recommend using even a "soft" brush on paint surface. My rule is microfiber towel is only product on paint: no paper towels, no cotton towels, no squeegees, etc. It's extreme I know but I can always find a less abusive alternative.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #28
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
I wouldn't recommend using even a "soft" brush on paint surface. My rule is microfiber towel is only product on paint: no paper towels, no cotton towels, no squeegees, etc. It's extreme I know but I can always find a less abusive alternative.
well a brush allows to remove particles that are attached without rubbing them in. If you car is REALLY dirty, even the softest cloth in the world will just rub particles into the paint.

Microfiber is great, but it won't prevent you sanding down the paint with what you collect. unless you have 600 microfiber cloth pads, one for each stroke.

IMO, a good brush, with a soak of shampoo as lubricant will detach a LOT of the "worst" on the paint before you go 'closer'. thats why I use my method of like 3 'passes': 1) remove the real shit of the car with pressure washer+foam canon, 2) remove all you can of the worst bits attached to the paint with the brush and 3) go with the soaked mits to detach the rest.
      03-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #29
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
well a brush allows to remove particles that are attached without rubbing them in. If you car is REALLY dirty, even the softest cloth in the world will just rub particles into the paint.

Microfiber is great, but it won't prevent you sanding down the paint with what you collect. unless you have 600 microfiber cloth pads, one for each stroke.

IMO, a good brush, with a soak of shampoo as lubricant will detach a LOT of the "worst" on the paint before you go 'closer'. thats why I use my method of like 3 'passes': 1) remove the real shit of the car with pressure washer+foam canon, 2) remove all you can of the worst bits attached to the paint with the brush and 3) go with the soaked mits to detach the rest.
I'm curious what type of protection you have on the paint that requires a brush to remove containment's; wax, PPF, ceramic coating? Also, have you considered claying the car which perhaps it needs if you need a brush to clean it?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #30
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Can you upload or a link an image of this brush? Just the word brush and washing a car doesn't fully compute with me.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #31
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Guys, can you please recommend a good microfiber cloth or mitt that can prevent swirls and that I can buy on Amazon? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #32
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
Guys, can you please recommend a good microfiber cloth or mitt that can prevent swirls and that I can buy on Amazon? Thanks
Here is the mitt that I use. It was recommended by my detailer.

Konpard Ultimate Car Wash Mitt - 2 Pack - Premium Chenille Microfiber Wash Mitt - Wash Sponge - Wash Glove - Lint Free - Scratch Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WT7DPXV..._Jd7GEbJ42220D
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #33
advrider6510
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3, Ford Mustang

This might help you...

Focus on the wheels. Use a hose with a nozzle that provides good water pressure to spray the wheels of the car. ...Prep and lather. Spray the entire vehicle with water to rinse away surface dirt and to give your vehicle a good coating of water. ...Rinse and dry.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #34
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

I have ran the gambit over the years - now use Chemical Guys for everything. Their product consistency/potency is always consistent and great quality.

I am getting ceramic this week so going to use their ceramic wash and spray detailer. Up until that point I have been using V07 wash and the two bucket method in addition to a pre wash foam cannon run.

Sonax for the wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:35 AM   #35
haan9953
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 750 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by advrider6510 View Post
This might help you...

Focus on the wheels. Use a hose with a nozzle that provides good water pressure to spray the wheels of the car. ...Prep and lather. Spray the entire vehicle with water to rinse away surface dirt and to give your vehicle a good coating of water. ...Rinse and dry.

Agreed
Appreciate 1