BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
mobilejo
Major
mobilejo's Avatar
United Kingdom
480
Rep
1,271
Posts

Drives: G06 X6 40i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Glowing Iconic Grilles on X6

I'll throw my hat in:

My car came with the iconic glow grille, but I wanted the gloss black.

I got the gloss black from my local dealer, and fitted it but then felt it was all a little monochromatic up front, so I took the gloss black surround and fitted it onto the iconic glow slats. I also covered over the small slivers that are on the active shutters in black so only the slats of the grille stand out.

Bonus - The glowing function still works as that is built into the slats and not connected to the surround. I may have the first gloss black surround Iconic glow.

Name:  2gDPPKk.jpg
Views: 12985
Size:  217.9 KB

Name:  BMW Iconic Grille Glowing X6.jpg
Views: 13002
Size:  327.5 KB
Appreciate 25
      03-15-2020, 03:59 AM   #2
Shortyshorty
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: X640i 2020
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I'll throw my hat in:

My car came with the iconic glow grille, but I wanted the gloss black.

I got the gloss black from my local dealer, and fitted it but then felt it was all a little monochromatic up front, so I took the gloss black surround and fitted it onto the iconic glow slats. I also covered over the small slivers that are on the active shutters in black so only the slats of the grille stand out.

Bonus - The glowing function still works as that is built into the slats and not connected to the surround. I may have the first gloss black surround Iconic glow.
Hey there, can you talk me through this a bit more. I have riverside blue on order with the 742M black alloys and the silver iconic grille. I thought that silver would 'pop' more than black, but I have also seen it said that you cant get the shadowline iconic grill (I have never understood why?!). I also have blacked out windows (Im in Aus so the shading is quite dark), and I didnt want to go for overkill and look like a drug dealer (lol).

Anyway, keen to understand your process and where you got the parts. I'd private message you, but i cant work out how to do that on this forum!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
mobilejo
Major
mobilejo's Avatar
United Kingdom
480
Rep
1,271
Posts

Drives: G06 X6 40i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyshorty View Post
Hey there, can you talk me through this a bit more. I have riverside blue on order with the 742M black alloys and the silver iconic grille. I thought that silver would 'pop' more than black, but I have also seen it said that you cant get the shadowline iconic grill (I have never understood why?!). I also have blacked out windows (Im in Aus so the shading is quite dark), and I didnt want to go for overkill and look like a drug dealer (lol).

Anyway, keen to understand your process and where you got the parts. I'd private message you, but i cant work out how to do that on this forum!
I couldn't find a part number for the gloss black X6 grille anywhere, so I just told the dealer what I wanted and he found it on the system.

I simply bought the 'standard' X6 grille in black, and when I examined it up close, it became fairly obvious how to detach the surrounds from the slats. There are are a number of clips around the edge of the grille that you will see when you flip it over and look at the back of it, by just popping those with a small screwdriver, the surround comes right off the slats. The slats are all one solid unit, and the surround is one piece. So once separated you just end up with 2 pieces.

Removing the iconic grille is just like any other, with the addition of 2 electrical connectors for the illumination - you can only see those once you have pulled the grille off the car.

I separated the surround and the slats on both my black grille, and my iconic glow grille. Then I put the slats from the iconic into the black surrounds (just clips back in).

The lights and wiring connectors for the illumination are in the slats, so by putting the black surround on my iconic slats, the illumination works exactly as it is supposed to.

Honestly, once you have the grille in your hands, you will see exactly what I mean and its a very simple process.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Shortyshorty
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: X640i 2020
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I couldn't find a part number for the gloss black X6 grille anywhere, so I just told the dealer what I wanted and he found it on the system.

I simply bought the 'standard' X6 grille in black, and when I examined it up close, it became fairly obvious how to detach the surrounds from the slats. There are are a number of clips around the edge of the grille that you will see when you flip it over and look at the back of it, by just popping those with a small screwdriver, the surround comes right off the slats. The slats are all one solid unit, and the surround is one piece. So once separated you just end up with 2 pieces.

Removing the iconic grille is just like any other, with the addition of 2 electrical connectors for the illumination - you can only see those once you have pulled the grille off the car.

I separated the surround and the slats on both my black grille, and my iconic glow grille. Then I put the slats from the iconic into the black surrounds (just clips back in).

The lights and wiring connectors for the illumination are in the slats, so by putting the black surround on my iconic slats, the illumination works exactly as it is supposed to.

Honestly, once you have the grille in your hands, you will see exactly what I mean and its a very simple process.
Thanks so much for this - super helpful.

With the iconic grille in black, does it have the same overall effect? I couldnt work out if some of the impact from the illumination the from the silver grille occured because of the reflection from the silver colour or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
mobilejo
Major
mobilejo's Avatar
United Kingdom
480
Rep
1,271
Posts

Drives: G06 X6 40i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyshorty View Post
With the iconic grille in black, does it have the same overall effect?
I think it does personally (remember,the slats are still silver, only the surround is black):

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
dieguitov
Private
dieguitov's Avatar
23
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i E82
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South America

iTrader: (0)

It would look funny if via coding the light projection on the ground could be kept on while driving
__________________
135i 2008 E82 N54, MHD Stage 2+ v7.1 (91 OCT), XHP Transmission Flash Stage 3
VRSF Chargepipe, VRSF Intercooler 5" Stepped HD, Bilstein B8 & Eibach PRO-KIT Springs, M3 LCAs, M3 RSBs, DINAN fixed front camber plates
OZ Ultraleggera F:18x8 ET 34 R:18x9 ET 40, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S F:225/40/18 R:255/35/18
Appreciate 3
      04-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
fricfracfrank
Captain
fricfracfrank's Avatar
United_States
298
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I'll throw my hat in:

My car came with the iconic glow grille, but I wanted the gloss black.

I got the gloss black from my local dealer, and fitted it but then felt it was all a little monochromatic up front, so I took the gloss black surround and fitted it onto the iconic glow slats. I also covered over the small slivers that are on the active shutters in black so only the slats of the grille stand out.

Bonus - The glowing function still works as that is built into the slats and not connected to the surround. I may have the first gloss black surround Iconic glow.

Attachment 2274702

Attachment 2274703
Are the grills only illuminated during entry and exit of the vehicle or do they stay on during nighttime driving?
__________________
Follow: instagram.com/5borobimmers/

Present: 2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue
Past: 2013 335i xdrive Estoril Blue
2011 328i xdrive Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
Icecph
Second Lieutenant
Icecph's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
233
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I'll throw my hat in:

My car came with the iconic glow grille, but I wanted the gloss black.

I got the gloss black from my local dealer, and fitted it but then felt it was all a little monochromatic up front, so I took the gloss black surround and fitted it onto the iconic glow slats. I also covered over the small slivers that are on the active shutters in black so only the slats of the grille stand out.

Bonus - The glowing function still works as that is built into the slats and not connected to the surround. I may have the first gloss black surround Iconic glow.

Attachment 2274702

Attachment 2274703
Damn wonder if this could be retrofitted
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
paliknight
fuck this field
paliknight's Avatar
United_States
1817
Rep
2,492
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (1)

Would be curious to see the G80 with this feature lmao
__________________
BMW family... for now.
Appreciate 2
Wmzorba09271.00
zamboni626.00

      04-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
RyanBMW
First Lieutenant
RyanBMW's Avatar
United_States
253
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

I guess people cannot see those grille good enough, let's make them glow
Appreciate 8
F32Fleet2196.00
Kankles847.00
6ixSpd5316.00
lab_rat271.00
jlspeed29328.50

      04-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #11
225
Brigadier General
1587
Rep
3,949
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Glad you like it mate but I really hope this isn't the beginning of a trend for bmw where they become standard.
Appreciate 5
F32Fleet2196.00
Pinkoboe182.00
Rxpert176.00
lab_rat271.00

      04-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #12
Railgun
Brigadier General
Railgun's Avatar
United Kingdom
997
Rep
3,100
Posts

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, F82
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 60606 --> SE3 --> ME14

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 SMB M4  [0.00]
1993 Mazda RX-7  [0.00]
2007 Honda CBR600RR  [0.00]
Need matching neons. Maybe some wheel hub lights.
Appreciate 8
Frosty286.50
Pinkoboe182.00
PDM572.00
6ixSpd5316.00
ice31119.50
lab_rat271.00

      04-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #13
Frosty
Colonel
Frosty's Avatar
287
Rep
2,272
Posts

Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

.. they literally call this "Iconic Glow Grill " ?
__________________
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build SOLD (AUG 2016)
Appreciate 4
Pinkoboe182.00
Dinh335527.50
ice31119.50

      04-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
GOLFFRR
GOLFFRR's Avatar
6756
Rep
24,021
Posts

Drives: GOLFFRR cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: we sell BMW/Mini to ALL US states

iTrader: (4)

fast and furious vibes
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 1
Pinkoboe182.00

      04-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
J-RO
Captain
1154
Rep
844
Posts

Drives: BMW 4 series
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: A Place I Like To Call “You’ll See”

iTrader: (0)

What is so iconic about it?
Appreciate 4
Pinkoboe182.00
///M TOWN3349.00
lab_rat271.00

      04-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #16
wonton1017
Bit by Modbug
Canada
94
Rep
930
Posts

Drives: F82 + F30
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CANADA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
What is so iconic about it?
Iconic because it's the last model with an acceptably sized grille.
Appreciate 4
J-RO1154.00
K-M371.50
cipher5410.50

      04-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #17
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
nicky dj's Avatar
United_States
256
Rep
651
Posts

Drives: E92 N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Great ::rolling eyes:: : as if there is something else to make the current trend of bmw buckteeth grills to look larger and more prominent. There's a reason why people are blacking out these grills like on the G05 and making them look good as such.

Imagine rolling down at night and all you see is giant stormtrooper coming your way. . .
Appreciate 1
Pinkoboe182.00

      04-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #18
Kankles
Rear Admiral
Kankles's Avatar
No_Country
847
Rep
1,316
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: €

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Geezus
Appreciate 1
Pinkoboe182.00

      04-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #19
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
2196
Rep
8,758
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

hmmmm???
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 3
Pinkoboe182.00
J-RO1154.00
ice31119.50

      04-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #20
PARTS@STBMW
PARTS@STBMW's Avatar
United_States
1570
Rep
6,653
Posts

Drives: ALL BMW MODELS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Camarillo, CA

iTrader: (4)

Very cool. Don't see many of these out there.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #21
440xiGCMSport2
Private First Class
109
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: EB440xiGC
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

people are crucifying BMW for the huge grilles(rightly so) yet liking this?
Appreciate 1
Remonster488.00

      04-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #22
///M TOWN
.
///M TOWN's Avatar
3349
Rep
3,225
Posts

Drives: M GmbH
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

I wonder if this could be used to melt snow on the front end...

🤔
Appreciate 1
J-RO1154.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST