BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
dbjunction
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S P90D,BMW X5 M50i

Strange error on x5 m50i 2019

Hi,

Since the last 2 days, i have been getting this weird error message on my screen while driving - I dont do anything really to make it come and even if i click on close window or navigate away from it, it basically comes back within 5 secs - practically made the screen useless for me. Given the covid situation, i want to avoid going to service center - any ideas please?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Assuming you haven't actually installed any aftermarket electronic parts or replaced an ECU with a new or a used one (seems unlikely :-) ...

... the message seems to indicate that one or more of your ECUs has lost its provisioning in the car. That's pretty bad design if true, should never ever happen in a system of this sort like a car. I doubt it will be possible to figure out the exact culprit without electronic diagnostics and, after that, the fix is almost certainly programming of some sort or another. So dealer.

During COVID extended parking, a number of people seem to have reported electrical gremlins and at least some have already been attributed to low battery or low battery for an extended time. Perhaps while waiting for a service appointment, get the car on a charger and get your battery to full to see if that accidentally helps. For this kind of an error, I doubt it, but it is possible that the error notice itself is caused by low battery rather than an actual underlying ECU "lost brains" (de-provisioning), so maybe ...
      05-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Another idea, but only after battery is guaranteed to be fully charged, is to VO code the entire car. Or maybe do one ECU at a time and see which one gets fixed, if any (will take a long time that way, there are something like 42-46 ECUs in the G05/G06/G07).

If you're familiar with ESys, you will already know what that means. If not familiar, I would only go down this path if the dealer visit so utterly impossible that you're willing to try anything else at all. To be sure, VO coding with correct cable, ESys setup, psdzdata files, and battery power supply is pretty safe, but it does seem extreme and may not work anyways if you need FSC coding in the end.
      05-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
dbjunction
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Assuming you haven't actually installed any aftermarket electronic parts or replaced an ECU with a new or a used one (seems unlikely :-) ...

... the message seems to indicate that one or more of your ECUs has lost its provisioning in the car. That's pretty bad design if true, should never ever happen in a system of this sort like a car. I doubt it will be possible to figure out the exact culprit without electronic diagnostics and, after that, the fix is almost certainly programming of some sort or another. So dealer.

During COVID extended parking, a number of people seem to have reported electrical gremlins and at least some have already been attributed to low battery or low battery for an extended time. Perhaps while waiting for a service appointment, get the car on a charger and get your battery to full to see if that accidentally helps. For this kind of an error, I doubt it, but it is possible that the error notice itself is caused by low battery rather than an actual underlying ECU "lost brains" (de-provisioning), so maybe ...
Thanks, yes you are right, nothing aftermarket, not even floor mats .

I guess i will have to take it to a dealer. I think it might be the battery - does it not get charged while driving though? I drove for like 50 miles yesterday - should have corrected itself if it was battery, isnt it? I am also discovering other issues - sometimes the heads up display randomly stops showing speed limit (instead just showing "Limit" label) - the actual limit comes back randomly as well. Then one day the touchscreen and physical buttons stopped responding while in the middle of a drive, including the volume buttons on the steering column - came back after overnight parking.

Less than 5k miles on car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
dbjunction
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Another idea, but only after battery is guaranteed to be fully charged, is to VO code the entire car. Or maybe do one ECU at a time and see which one gets fixed, if any (will take a long time that way, there are something like 42-46 ECUs in the G05/G06/G07).

If you're familiar with ESys, you will already know what that means. If not familiar, I would only go down this path if the dealer visit so utterly impossible that you're willing to try anything else at all. To be sure, VO coding with correct cable, ESys setup, psdzdata files, and battery power supply is pretty safe, but it does seem extreme and may not work anyways if you need FSC coding in the end.
Unfortunately, not familiar with these and while i can learn quick, I can be more dangerous with self acquired information sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjunction View Post
Unfortunately, not familiar with these and while i can learn quick, I can be more dangerous with self acquired information sometimes.
For starters I would try rebooting iDrive to see if that helps. It certainly won't hurt anything.

Press and hold the volume button for about 25 seconds until the screen goes dark. Release the volume button. iDrive will reboot and just maybe, if your lucky, the problem will go away.

Worth a shot anyway.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      05-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Pretty certain that it is not the battery. Component protection is mainly used for many electronic modules. Best case, one of them is malfunctioning and can be retrained or replaced. Worst case, there is something wrong with the control bus wiring between the modules. Had that once and my car went straight to the junkyard (still under warranty) as fixing the wiring would have been more expensive than producing a new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #8
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjunction View Post
Hi,

Since the last 2 days, i have been getting this weird error message on my screen while driving - I dont do anything really to make it come and even if i click on close window or navigate away from it, it basically comes back within 5 secs - practically made the screen useless for me. Given the covid situation, i want to avoid going to service center - any ideas please?
Seems like the HU needs to be initialized with the anti theft proofing codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:31 AM   #9
dbjunction
Private
Rep

Thanks for all your help guys. Finally got the issue fixed at the service center. The issue was - "headunit enabling codes missing - software error".

Solution was - Performed IRAP session, deleted fault memory, performed sleep cycle, programmed complete vehicle.

They upgraded my software to 3.2020.58 - not sure if this is the latest and havent noticed any change yet - I had the version that came with the car in Oct of last yr.
Appreciate 0