BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
HomeIn2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Maxton Design X5 Front Splitter Install?

Just received the gloss black Maxton Design X5 front splitter for my M50i. Haven’t installed it yet, but after looking at it, I have a question related to drilling holes through the stacked, 2-level middle section.

I’m all set to go with 3M two-sided tape and the proper hardware. And, hole drilling through the two side sections seems straight forward. However, for those who’ve completed a successful install, how did you drill bolt holes in the middle 2-level section of the splitter and bumper? Did you drill through both levels on the splitter or just the top level? If just the top level, how’d you do it and how did you install the center section bolts? Almost seem impossible to install the bolts within 3 cm of the front edge as recommended in the (sketchy) Maxton installation instructions.

Thanks…
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIn2 View Post
Just received the gloss black Maxton Design X5 front splitter for my M50i. Haven’t installed it yet, but after looking at it, I have a question related to drilling holes through the stacked, 2-level middle section.

I’m all set to go with 3M two-sided tape and the proper hardware. And, hole drilling through the two side sections seems straight forward. However, for those who’ve completed a successful install, how did you drill bolt holes in the middle 2-level section of the splitter and bumper? Did you drill through both levels on the splitter or just the top level? If just the top level, how’d you do it and how did you install the center section bolts? Almost seem impossible to install the bolts within 3 cm of the front edge as recommended in the (sketchy) Maxton installation instructions.

Thanks…
I only installed about 10 bolts but used the 3m tape. You don’t have to go through both upper and lower pieces. Just get as close to the front edge as possible with the 1 inch bolts. The tape is very strong and unless you plan to drive over 100 mph I seriously doubt you will have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:04 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Drill through just the top level. It actually dual-layered. It will be more secure. Make sure you can fit your fingers behind where you are drilling..... and make sure you don't drill too far forward, otherwise you'll see the holes from the front of the car.
Appreciate 0