General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikke123 View Post
What I have is
5AU Driving Assistant Pack Professional
5DN Parking Assistant Pack Plus

(basically the whole innovation pack) and I can theoretically drive hands free by having leg/knee touch steering wheel
You could have it but you are confusing the different modes. There is no way you can be driving in mode 3 (eTJA) all of the time as that is the total hands-free mode that is only available on certain roads under specific conditions (if available at all in your country). Only when driving in that mode will the attention camera give you any type of warning from my experience.

You will also notice the camera when driving in traffic using mode 2, adaptive cruise with steering/lane control. When the traffic in front of you stops due to a light (the vehicle doing the braking not you) and the traffic starts moving in front of you and you are not looking ahead it will start the engine but not move.

The other time you may notice the camera is on long drives without a stop and you start getting tired.

Edit: Using a leg to touch the steering wheel is not considered hands-free since you are touching the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #46
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You could have it but you are confusing the different modes. There is no way you can be driving in mode 3 (eTJA) all of the time as that is the total hands-free mode that is only available on certain roads under specific conditions (if available at all in your country). Only when driving in that mode will the attention camera give you any type of warning from my experience.

You will also notice the camera when driving in traffic using mode 2, adaptive cruise with steering/lane control. When the traffic in front of you stops due to a light (the vehicle doing the braking not you) and the traffic starts moving in front of you and you are not looking ahead it will start the engine but not move.

The other time you may notice the camera is on long drives without a stop and you start getting tired.

Edit: Using a leg to touch the steering wheel is not considered hands-free since you are touching the steering wheel.
Interesting. So in Europe we would have mode 2 only where in the US it is mode 3. Any documentation on what the difference is between both except for the hands-free?

The car can pretty much self-drive on any road I do from home to work (highway or interstate). However it does not self stop on Stop or Give Way signs nor on traffic lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #47
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. So in Europe we would have mode 2 only where in the US it is mode 3. Any documentation on what the difference is between both except for the hands-free?

The car can pretty much self-drive on any road I do from home to work (highway or interstate). However it does not self stop on Stop or Give Way signs nor on traffic lights.
Hopefully some of your fellow countrymen chime in but as far as I know you do not have an unlimited hands-free driving mode in your country which is what mode 3 (eTJA) is. You just have the regular adaptive cruise (mode 1) and the adaptive cruise with steering/lane control (mode 2) which requires the steering wheel to be touched fairly often.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #48
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
I drive in ACC mode all the time - (all green). No sun glasses. I can read a news paper and it will not react at all.
You need to be in "Assisted Driving Plus" mode.
When the conditions are met during ACC, you will hear an alert and a new driving mode option would be available. And you have to manually press the mode button to enter into "Assisted Driving Plus" mode. Once successfully engaged in this mode, the green LEDs on your steering wheel would stay ON all the time until you exit this mode. Now you won't get alerts for taking your hands off the steering wheel, but you will get alerts for looking away.

This is the image posted earlier in another thread:

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:40 PM   #49
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post

It does not stop for those signs but you get a warning when you are approaching too fast.

Because OP has a 45e the engine doesn't start but the car gives a bling sound. This is the way the camera works in Belgium and I have experienced it. It does.

We don't have eTJA. So only the two modes shown on the left in the post above.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:28 AM   #50
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
It does not stop for those signs but you get a warning when you are approaching too fast.

Because OP has a 45e the engine doesn't start but the car gives a bling sound. This is the way the camera works in Belgium and I have experienced it. It does.

eTJA = Driver Assistant Professional Package + hands free at low speds on interstates in the US. So the mere difference is the hands free?

Driver Attention Camera -> experience the bling sound too. Know I where that comes from. Dealer told that it was due to the car being stopped at traffic light too long; which I found odd. It is because I was looking away (admiring scenery) instead of looking at traffic flow. So camera works.

Driver Attention Camera -> when in mode 2 with all green: does the camera monitor you if you’re not paying attention and how? Like I’ve said with ACC on and all green, I can read a newspaper if I’d want and the car would still do its job. I even tested pretending to take a nap :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:53 AM   #51
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

eTJA = Driver Assistant Professional Package + hands free at low speds on interstates in the US. So the mere difference is the hands free?

Driver Attention Camera -> experience the bling sound too. Know I where that comes from. Dealer told that it was due to the car being stopped at traffic light too long; which I found odd. It is because I was looking away (admiring scenery) instead of looking at traffic flow. So camera works.

Driver Attention Camera -> when in mode 2 with all green: does the camera monitor you if you’re not paying attention and how? Like I’ve said with ACC on and all green, I can read a newspaper if I’d want and the car would still do its job. I even tested pretending to take a nap :-)
The camera monitors you on the highway but I will only give you a sign when it detects that you are getting sleepy because you act differently. It is not telling you, you have to keep your eyes on the road.

I think eTJA means that you can stay hands free much longer than the we can with acc and lane keeping in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:26 AM   #52
phillydilles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G05

Quote:
The camera monitors you on the highway but I will only give you a sign when it detects that you are getting sleepy because you act differently. It is not telling you, you have to keep your eyes on the road.

I think eTJA means that you can stay hands free much longer than the we can with acc and lane keeping in Europe.
Correct, till ~65 kmh on the limited access highways, we can have the car go into fully controlled mode, where both lights on the steering wheel go green and we go into eTJA until cancelled or the speed is exceeded. This is also when the attention camera is usually most active, and in ADV, you'll see the entire lane go green.

Name:  Screenshot_20200629-053114.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  107.1 KB

Here's a short vid as well (warning: audio is loud): https://streamable.com/bvgl8f (note the attention camera IR and steering wheel lights, as well as the roadway in ADV and the logo on the left for Assist Plus)

I had the forward cross traffic alert kick in yesterday for the first time, which was good to see and know it works - was coming out of my garage, had a motorcycle zip by, but thankfully the ADV display immediately showed a red corner in the top left of the display and made a loud noise with brake assist, and all continued on happily.

Last edited by phillydilles; 06-29-2020 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 4
X5 45e1090.50
ikke12344.50
volodp196.50
BBDDVV10.50
      06-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #53
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydilles View Post
Correct, till ~65 kmh on the limited access highways, we can have the car go into fully controlled mode, where both lights on the steering wheel go green and we go into eTJA until cancelled or the speed is exceeded. This is also when the attention camera is usually most active, and in ADV, you'll see the entire lane go green.

Attachment 2350835

Here's a short vid as well (warning: audio is loud): https://streamable.com/bvgl8f (note the attention camera IR and steering wheel lights, as well as the roadway in ADV and the logo on the left for Assist Plus)

I had the forward cross traffic alert kick in yesterday for the first time, which was good to see and know it works - was coming out of my garage, had a motorcycle zip by, but thankfully the ADV display immediately showed a red corner in the top left of the display and made a loud noise with brake assist, and all continued on happily.
Thanks for the video! That’s very helpful and very kind.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #54
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Bmw safety systems tested.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:41 PM   #55
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post

Bmw safety systems tested.
Great video. My issues are the first part of the video before the crash test. It illustrates what the car should do: self braking in case of emergency. Which I’ve been told it does not do: it only does brake assist. This video clearly demonstrates that it should self brake to full stop or to reduce impact.

Based on my experience, my car does NOT do any of that.

Last edited by ikke123; 06-29-2020 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #56
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Based on my experience, my car does NOT do any of that.
It would be very hard and dangerous for you to test that and probably weren't in a situation where it would have done it. From what I have seen and read it is at the last moment so more than likely you reacted before it had a chance.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      06-30-2020, 02:05 AM   #57
svcauwen
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

ikke123 does your car auto-break when parking the car? If set it should break when you come too close to the car behind you e.g. or when there's an obstacle
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #58
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcauwen View Post
ikke123 does your car auto-break when parking the car? If set it should break when you come too close to the car behind you e.g. or when there's an obstacle
Interesting... The car does autobrake when in reverse parking but does NOT brake when forward parking. I actually touched once the wall of my garage when parking.

On a positive note: saw for the first time the red car danger in HUD. Would upgrade to 03/2020 have done the trick?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:55 AM   #59
svcauwen
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Interesting... The car does autobrake when in reverse parking but does NOT brake when forward parking. I actually touched once the wall of my garage when parking.

On a positive note: saw for the first time the red car danger in HUD. Would upgrade to 03/2020 have done the trick?
I guess you have the auto-parking function where the car parks itself? Did you already try this?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #60
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcauwen View Post

Manual says it is only working with slow speed in reverse. So your observations are correct.

I have switched this of because it intervenes to abrupt. Visibility with 360 is good enough for me.

I have a feeling that your dealer is partially right that you are expecting more than the system really does. It is not the self driving Tesla offers. It is really difficult to trigger them on purpose. On the other hand it is annoying that you have a feeling the system doesn't work like it should and you want to rely on it in emergencies. I just don't know how to confirm everything works like it should. Based on your first post I thought it was not working as it should however.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #61
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

I’m fully aware it isn’t a Tesla - and happy that’s not :-)

Time to summarize and hopefully I am correct now:
- issue HUD display -> solved with 03.2020
- driver attention camera with ACC on -> only works at traffic light when traffic resumes; no action while driving on highway/interstate and looking away -> this normal - it is designed to operate like this
- car is designed to self brake (EU / US market) but impossible to test
- the very near misses I’ve experienced would have been collisions -> car reacts too slow even with anticipated setting in the car

New issues since update 03.2020:
- Remote 3D view no longer works (privacy settings are OK in car - app complains about it)
- Wipers no longer work in auto mode when it rains. Have to do it manually

Monday morning car?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #62
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

- driver attention camera with ACC on -> only works at traffic light when traffic resumes; no action while driving on highway/interstate and looking away -> this normal - it is designed to operate like this
- the very near misses I’ve experienced would have been collisions -> car reacts too slow even with anticipated setting in the car

- Remote 3D view no longer works (privacy settings are OK in car - app complains about it)

Monday morning car?
Off course you are happy not driving a Tesla. You would have bought a model X. And so would I. But I am glad I didn't. They would laugh with our issues. Fifty procent of Tesla's have issues.

Your first points are correct. I am just not sure about the point you made about emergency braking. The reaction was fast in my case. Very difficult to advise in this.

The 360 view problem I have seen in several posts. I don't know what the solution is maybe look in those posts.

The wipers I haven't read about.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #63
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:

Monday morning car?
Did you get 03.2020 with a remote update?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #64
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Did you get 03.2020 with a remote update?
No the dealer installed it. Seems to have tackled some issues (like HUD)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #65
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Update: Haven’t spoken to the dealer yet but issue with ACC and self braking remains.

Car is in ACC mode and is accelerating by itself. Detects a slower car in front of me which it deems a danger based on my speed (red icon on HUD and main display). Car does NOT stop accelerating, I have to slam brakes in order to avoid crash.

This is the main issue I have been complaining since day 1. When an immediate danger is detected by the car in front of it, it keeps on doing what it was doing in ACC mode. ACC mode wins over security. So anticipated interaction or not; ACC wins...

If by design, then this is a major flaw. ACC should never win over an imminent threat/danger. Or am I that stupid to think that?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #66
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Update: Haven't spoken to the dealer yet but issue with ACC and self braking remains.

Car is in ACC mode and is accelerating by itself. Detects a slower car in front of me which it deems a danger based on my speed (red icon on HUD and main display). Car does NOT stop accelerating, I have to slam brakes in order to avoid crash.

This is the main issue I have been complaining since day 1. When an immediate danger is detected by the car in front of it, it keeps on doing what it was doing in ACC mode. ACC mode wins over security. So anticipated interaction or not; ACC wins...

If by design, then this is a major flaw. ACC should never win over an imminent threat/danger. Or am I that stupid to think that?
That definitely doesn't sound correct.

So you activate ACC for let's say 70 km/h on a one lane road. A car is driving in the same lane in front of you drives 50 km/h and your car would drive right through it if you didn't intervene? Are you sure you are on ACC and not on normal CC? You can switch to normal CC without distance (see picture). If I am correct it switches back to ACC when you turn of the car.

The manual also says that distance warning is activated when ACC is deactivated (second picture). So it sounds like your ACC function is turned off if you get this message when driving on CC???

According to the manual you should have a message in check controle that ACC is turned off and switched to non distance keeping CC

This sounds reproducible. Take the technician for a drive and show him.
Attached Images

Last edited by X5 45e; 07-01-2020 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0