Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikke123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
But when does that happen? Could you describe it exactly.

You are on a normal 1 lane road, following another car you increase your speed with ACC and it doesn't brake?

Or you are approaching a trafic jam a couple of 100 meter ahead and you accelerate?

If you push the gas yourself it will not brake!
Fully agreed that car does not do anything if I have controls.

Issue is when car has control.

Normal road, cruise control with no car in front of me. Cruise control is in acceleration mode -> from zone 50km/70km. Car turns from side road onto my road, is slowly moving. My car detects it as a danger (red car in HUD) but keeps its acceleration going.

I am not touching any pedal (gas or brake). It is self driving.

Does that make it clearer?
Yes.

The car will only starts braking when the car is completely on the lane in front of you. It is written in the manual. So if it moving slowly in front of you and you are accelerating it will continue to do so. Kind of stupid I agree.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #90
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Yes.

The car will only starts braking when the car is completely on the lane in front of you. It is written in the manual. So if it moving slowly in front of you and you are accelerating it will continue to do so. Kind of stupid I agree.
I just had it minutes ago again. In this event, the street widens from 1 lane to 2 lanes. Car is in the same lane as me but road widens and I think this confuses the system.

There are 2 other instances where I think it is an issue: down or uphill.

All 3 scenario’s are on my daily route from home to office.

I just don’t get it that my car can detect a danger but the ACC just continues and the emergency self-braking system does NOT activate.
That logic is nowhere explained in the user manual.

I expect to always be able to depend on the emergency self-braking when the car itself detects the danger. Guess that this is not the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #91
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

I just had it minutes ago again. In this event, the street widens from 1 lane to 2 lanes. Car is in the same lane as me but road widens and I think this confuses the system.

There are 2 other instances where I think it is an issue: down or uphill.

All 3 scenario’s are on my daily route from home to office.

I just don’t get it that my car can detect a danger but the ACC just continues and the emergency self-braking system does NOT activate.
That logic is nowhere explained in the user manual.

I expect to always be able to depend on the emergency self-braking when the car itself detects the danger. Guess that this is not the case.
I don't get that either. Maybe because they are based on two different systems? Stil it would be a better algorithm if the collision warning stood above accelerating with ACC.

This is my fourth BMW with ACC so I know where it works en where it doesn't.

I know the situation you discribe is prone for errors and I also had accelerations where I didn't want them.

When the lanes go from one to two the system gets confused and can start accelerating with you on the left half and the other car stil in front of you on the right half. I know this happens so I always keep my foot on the brake or even turn acc off until it is on the correct lane again. Same for the situation with a traffic light.

ACC works perfect if you are just following someone.

Emergency braking has saved me a couple of times the last years. Once driving 120 and approaching a very slow moving traffic jam. Got the warning in time and I start braking and the car applied maximum power. Another also in a trafic jam 30 km/h and not paying attention and the car stopped itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #92
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
I don't get that either. Maybe because they are based on two different systems? Stil it would be a better algorithm if the collision warning stood above accelerating with ACC.

I know the situation you discribe is prone for errors and I also had accelerations where I didn't want them.

When the lanes go from one to two the system gets confused and can start accelerating with you on the left half and the other car stil in front of you on the right half. I know this happens so I always keep my foot on the brake or even turn acc off until it is on the correct lane again. Same for the situation with a traffic light.

Emergency braking has saved me a couple of times the last years. Once driving 120 and approaching a very slow moving traffic jam. Got the warning in time and I start braking and the car applied maximum power. Another also in a trafic jam 30 km/h and not paying attention and the car stopped itself.
I guess I’ve spent too many years with my X6 :-)

Can you confirm that self emergency braking does work in ACC mode too? As my experience is that it is not.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #93
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I guess I’ve spent too many years with my X6 :-)

Can you confirm that self emergency braking does work in ACC mode too? As my experience is that it is not.
I can't confirm that. I can't remember if I was driving with ACC

I suppose it should however.

Maybe someone else can?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:45 AM   #94
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. Really appreciate it.

I just got my car back with an update to 03/2020.

Drive a couple of hours today to test it:
- dealer told that normal key needs replacement. Does not explain though why any of my keys (normal & display) have to be regularly put to the steering colum. We’ll see
- red warning symbol still does not show up in HUD
- pedestrians still not being detected
- rain sensor seems no longer to work
- attention camera does still NOT work. I can read a news paper, read my text messages and the car won’t give a blimp. And yes the option is active.

On Monday I’ll have a call whereby they will give me an overview of their findings regarding the self braking.

They did check with BMW HQ. Per their statement it is not possible to test / simulate the security systems to see if they actually work.

BMW sent them a video illustrating what the car can do and can’t do. They will forward it to me.

From what I could read between the lines: your expectations are wrong. The car is not designed to do what I think it should do.

Based on what they said, there are a lot of exclusions where the system does not work. ->hmm ok?

If they’re right, then the user manual is just a bunch of lies and gives wrong expectations to the customer. Or I am wrong?
The red car / pedestrian icons should appear on both the instrument cluster and HUD.

In regards to steering wheel vibration, it is exclusive to steering related / left right conditions. Blind spot, lane warning, loss of lane when using steering assist. Forward collision alerts do not trigger vibration.

In relation to the driver infrared monitoring camera, the only time it will alert is during enhanced traffic jam assist, after enabling ACC, going under 40mph on a divided highway, getting the prompt to enable eTJA, and enabling it. Once you're in the full hands off mode with steady green lights on the steering wheel, the camera is watching and will alert within 5-6 seconds if you close your eyes or look away. It's impressive when you are fully enabled and working.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:59 AM   #95
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcauwen View Post
I agree, but this is only partially true. Most of us will of course set the distance control on the minimum (one beam) which means later detection and shorter break distance, which gives you a bit of a scary near-crash feeling. If you put it on three everything will go smoothly. However, even on 1 the car drives smoothly with ACC on the highway and keeps distance also when another driver inserts in front of you.

Out of all this discussions we can only conclude that if you drive with the correct ACC settings and your car doesn't auto-break, your car has a problem. If your dealer is blind for this, go see another one.
In ACC mode the car does autobrake but not in case of imminent danger (red car). From all the posts, it is clear that the car should do this.

As per initial posts I've had in those past 9 months several instances whereby I had to do an emergency stop myself to avoid a collision and the car did nothing; meaning initiating itself an emergency braking. As I was within touching distance of the car in front of me, if I'd relied on the car I'd have rear-ended them. Same goes with pedestrian that I touched and for which I profoundly apologized; car did nothing.

All conditions are always met: field of view, obstacle detected (except for pedestrian - never seen that warning going off).

With that I have enough feedback to be confident that something is just not right with my vehicle and will stand ground with BMW.

Second issue: driver attention camera. My understanding now is that this only works in ACC mode. I now know that it works because if I am stuck in a traffic jam it will only resume ACC if I am looking at the road. But outside of that I can take a nap, read emails or do whatever I want - it doesn't detect anything. I was sold on the idea that it would detect driver attention and that it could even make a safe full stop if I'd be unresponsive.
The last scenario is emergency stop assistant: noodstopassistent. If you are unresponsive behind the wheel one of the passengers can pull the brake shortly and the car will brake to stop and change lanes if it has the system. But it is not automatically
If you're in ACC and stop touching the steering wheel thru the yellow flashing, and onto the red flashing / beeping, it will trigger emergency stop assistant automatically.
Appreciate 0