07-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
Angry Belle Tire Rant

Long story, apologies in advance, but if you have used/considered using Belle Tire, or a company that operates in a similar fashion, it's worth a read.

So less than 500 miles ago I purchased and had installed a set of Michelin PS4S tires; awesome rubber, but definitely not cheap. Two days ago I noticed that I had picked up a nearly 1" screw in one of my tires, mostly in the tread, and at what looked to be a 45 degree angle. I had no leak whatsoever, but still decided to err on the side of caution and ordered a new tire. I figure better safe than sorry, and if the tire with the screw in it ends up being perfectly fine, then I'll have a backup tire for the future.

Today I went to a Belle Tire location here in Indianapolis to have the new tire mounted, and the old tire inspected. While I'm sitting in the waiting room, the manager rolls in the tire that had the screw in it and tells me that the screw had only been lodged in the tread, and would be safe to drive on EXCEPT their technician had damaged the tire bead, showed me the portion of the bead where it was noticeably bowed out, and said he doubted it would ever be able to seal again if mounted.

When it came time to check out, I asked the manager what Belle Tire's policy was regarding compensating customers for damaging tires that otherwise would be fine to drive, to which he replied "sometimes this just happens" and "most people don't swap tires" which is beyond untrue. I remained calm, and asked him if he would be willing to annotate on the invoice that their location had damaged the tire, so that if/when I attempt to use the tire again in the future it won't seal, they can address liability.

Apparently this bothered him quite a bit, as he refused to answer what I thought to be a reasonable and calm response to being told their shop had made a nearly-new $300 tire likely worthless, and he just walked away, gathered a few of his employees, and had a mini-meeting examining the damaged tire. He then dispersed the employees, and had me join him to look at the tire; he pushed and bent on the bead, and claimed that "it would be just fine, he pushed it back and would probably seal" and that it "wasn't a safety issue, just a matter of it would make a good seal or not".

I reminded him that the very first thing he said to me when he rolled the tire in and showed it to me was that I would probably not ever be able to use it again, and yet now his story has changed to say it'll probably be just fine. Again I asked him simply to log their responsibility for the damage on the invoice for the future, as I just planned on keeping it as a spare. I told him it wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue if the tire wasn't nearly new. He tried to get my to push the damage off on the warranty from the company, but Michelin didn't produce a faulty tire, the shop damaged it, so in the end it's their fault.

I tell the manager "it's not like it's your money if the company has to replace it" to which he responds that it actually is his money... (I found out after the fact from a friend that worked for them that managers apparently lose bonus money for tires they have to replace due to shop damage.)

I tell the manager that it isn't Michelin's fault, and it definitely isn't my fault; and if it's his money, then it's also his shop's reputation. Apparently at that point he realized he wasn't going to get me to just absorb their $300 mess-up, and agreed to order a replacement for the tire.

Yes, in the end I got what was appropriate, but it never should have required several rounds of arguments or me calling him out on his BS in front of employees/customers. I understand that errors are sometimes made, but that should never be placed on the customer when the shop makes and admits to the fault. I'll definitely never go to that specific location again, and likely never to that company as a whole.
Appreciate 3
      07-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

It's really hard to find a good tire place... now I use a mobile tire shop that is meticulous and it's always the same dude.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
It's really hard to find a good tire place... now I use a mobile tire shop that is meticulous and it's always the same dude.
For years I went to a shop/dealership for Lotus, as they were essentially the only place that did road-force balancing within a reasonable distance, and didn't want to charge a fortune. When this new chain started popping up around town I saw that they also did road-force for essentially the same cost, and also had a tire storage option for swapping sets, so I figured I'd give them a chance.

Perhaps it was just this one shop, and this one manager, but mannnn it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion_2 View Post
For years I went to a shop/dealership for Lotus, as they were essentially the only place that did road-force balancing within a reasonable distance, and didn't want to charge a fortune. When this new chain started popping up around town I saw that they also did road-force for essentially the same cost, and also had a tire storage option for swapping sets, so I figured I'd give them a chance.

Perhaps it was just this one shop, and this one manager, but mannnn it left a bad taste in my mouth.
I've been traumatized with tire shops for years. Due to tracking I replace a ton of tires every year and have such a hard time finding a good place.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Man, that sucks. And you think, over $300? So hard to find good tire shops. I'm currently using a facility that I swore I'd NEVER use again due to a.) my race shop going out of business, and b.) new employees at this tire shop. But they know how picky I am, and I should be, I have really nice stuff. But they treat me good, and they damn well better keep treating me good!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Definitely hard to find good work, especially for the discerning customer. Not sure what kind of place you went to but pretty much all chain stores are used to customers who know next to nothing about cars so they aren't used to being questioned.

I have been using a mobile tire guy for a while (as another poster mentioned) and it's a one man show and his work is very consistent. Even uses a proper torque wrench on the bolts. He can however be a little difficult with scheduling (has been late several times and canceled on more than one occasion). Recently decided to try a local Porsche race shop for a new set of tires installed. They were much more expensive then your typical tire shop, however, their work was perfect and they treated my car with great care. For the infrequency of needing tires replaced, I find it worth while to pay more and have it be a worry free experience.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I always go to Costco. Their warranty pays itself off if you get a flat, which I've had 3 of in the past year. Once they messed up by losing the wheel lock tool and I had to get one from the BMW dealer. Their management took care of me for the hassle.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 06:34 AM   #8
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Definitely hard to find good work, especially for the discerning customer. Not sure what kind of place you went to but pretty much all chain stores are used to customers who know next to nothing about cars so they aren't used to being questioned.

I have been using a mobile tire guy for a while (as another poster mentioned) and it's a one man show and his work is very consistent. Even uses a proper torque wrench on the bolts. He can however be a little difficult with scheduling (has been late several times and canceled on more than one occasion). Recently decided to try a local Porsche race shop for a new set of tires installed. They were much more expensive then your typical tire shop, however, their work was perfect and they treated my car with great care. For the infrequency of needing tires replaced, I find it worth while to pay more and have it be a worry free experience.

Sometimes paying a bit more is worth it... I never should have stopped going to the Lotus shop, but convenience and less cost swayed me. That, and the fact that Belle Tire has a tire storage program so I wouldn't have to worry about shoving four tires in my cramped coupe (they definitely don't all fit with the hatch completely shut) and driving around with them when I swap between summers/winters.

But considering the Lotus shop always took great care with my wheels and tires, even to the point of asking me what PSI I prefer them to be pressurized to, I doubt I'll be back to Belle Tire after I swap out for the winters they have in storage later this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I always go to Costco. Their warranty pays itself off if you get a flat, which I've had 3 of in the past year. Once they messed up by losing the wheel lock tool and I had to get one from the BMW dealer. Their management took care of me for the hassle.
I stopped using Costco when they damaged my wheels twice. First time it was obvious. It was when I got off the run craps and the tech proceeded to gouge the crap out all 4 pristine 261M wheels. I had to go through the whole exercise of filling out a report and having their insurance company investigate. In the end they paid the $600+ to my dealer's wheel repair guy.

Ok, maybe this was just a fluke. Go back and had them mount another new set of tires on the same 261M wheels. They again damage one of the wheels although it was very slight and you'd have to look for it. I filed another claim but this time their insurance company wasn't going to pay for that damage. Said it was impossible for the damage to occur at that spot with how the tech would remove the tires. I then pointed out pictures of the original damage they did which was in the same general location. Nope. The insurance company wouldn't budge.

So after this mess, I now go to my BMW indie shop and pay the extra money for them to do it right. I still use Costco to mount tires on wheels I don't care about.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      07-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Dang that sucks. Glad you were able to get it resolved in the end though.

Quote:
Any chance your mobile tech services the NYC area? That would be the dream!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post

Any chance your mobile tech services the NYC area? That would be the dream!
They're in the Stamford CT area. I'm in Greenwich and he drives to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #12
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Seems like you handled it pretty good OP
Appreciate 1
drexplode1762.00
      07-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I stopped using Costco when they damaged my wheels twice. First time it was obvious. It was when I got off the run craps and the tech proceeded to gouge the crap out all 4 pristine 261M wheels. I had to go through the whole exercise of filling out a report and having their insurance company investigate. In the end they paid the $600+ to my dealer's wheel repair guy.

Ok, maybe this was just a fluke. Go back and had them mount another new set of tires on the same 261M wheels. They again damage one of the wheels although it was very slight and you'd have to look for it. I filed another claim but this time their insurance company wasn't going to pay for that damage. Said it was impossible for the damage to occur at that spot with how the tech would remove the tires. I then pointed out pictures of the original damage they did which was in the same general location. Nope. The insurance company wouldn't budge.

So after this mess, I now go to my BMW indie shop and pay the extra money for them to do it right. I still use Costco to mount tires on wheels I don't care about.
Oh man. Yeah I'd feel the same if that happened to me.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      07-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #14
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Same here, just sucks it took all of that for something so cut and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Seems like you handled it pretty good OP
I try not to get aggravated over little issues/problems, but this situation definitely got under my skin. If he had been willing to document the damage on the invoice I never even would have thought twice about it. Maybe the tire could be remounted successfully, but him backtracking and escalating the situation sent it spiraling.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #15
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

This is exactly why I take my nice wheels to an indie shop in Charlotte that ONLY does wheels. Wheel and Tire Exchange, great guys, stupid good quality, fair prices, and they have yet to damage any of my wheels, have even cleaned them on occasion for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #16
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

After experiencing tire discounters just to get some winter tires on my crappy beat up stock wheels i’m extremely picky about who touches my wheels and tires.
Order 255/18s via phone only to have to call back about 10min later after realizing the price they quoted me was for the fronts 225/18 even though i told him 3x the size and that they were for the rear.
Then it took them over an hour to mount 2 tires on what i wouldnt consider an extremely rare tire size. This was on wheels i brought them as i absolutely did not trust them to touch my car.
Luckily there is a few shops around here who deal exclusively with aftermarket wheels including refinishing and of course mounting tires. This is where i will be going when the time comes.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #17
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Is there a high end Indy shop in the area? Usually they house state of the art equipment and highly trained personnel that are compensated better than mininum wage - in some cases it's their career not just a job.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #18
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Isn't Belle Tire equivalent to Jiffy Lube for tires?
      07-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #19
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
I decided to try a mobile service in the Boston-area due to the pandemic and already decided I will use them exclusively going forward. Marginally more in service cost, competitive for tires (though they will still install your own tires, tirerack, etc). And based on their instagram, it appears many enthusiasts (and owners of "special" cars) use them.

If I never visit a tire chain again, I'll be a happy man.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      07-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #20
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion_2 View Post
Sometimes paying a bit more is worth it... I never should have stopped going to the Lotus shop, but convenience and less cost swayed me. That, and the fact that Belle Tire has a tire storage program so I wouldn't have to worry about shoving four tires in my cramped coupe (they definitely don't all fit with the hatch completely shut) and driving around with them when I swap between summers/winters.

But considering the Lotus shop always took great care with my wheels and tires, even to the point of asking me what PSI I prefer them to be pressurized to, I doubt I'll be back to Belle Tire after I swap out for the winters they have in storage later this year.
btw I love your car! I had a z4m coupe years ago too and absolutely loved it. Such a sexy car and compared to more modern cars so raw and visceral.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #21
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
btw I love your car! I had a z4m coupe years ago too and absolutely loved it. Such a sexy car and compared to more modern cars so raw and visceral.
Thank you! The relative simplicity and lack of a bunch of unnecessary electronics is one of the main reasons I fell in love with it, especially the hydraulic steering. I plan on driving it until we run out of combustible dinosaur juice, hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:15 PM   #22
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Stick with Discount Tire or America Tire(same company)

Their service and prices are great and have the best tire warranty program out there
Appreciate 0