BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
Ribnet
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Bimmercode & BDC Failure

Hi everyone -- long time lurker, first time poster who needs some guidance.

I've long admired the X5 and when my '15 Macan S was getting too small for the childseat in the back, I decided to trade it in for '20 X5 40i in February. I was shocked to find that the ASS reverted back on every time I started the car (my mom's '15 X5 and every car my wife and I have had never acted this way). So, I coded it using Bimmercode in February (I followed the steps exactly as they indicated and all was well) to remember the last setting for ASS (which means always off for me lol)

The car has been rock solid until about 3 weeks ago when I got an error about the auto wipers and auto headlights. I discovered that the HomeLink garage door opener and front reading lamps also had just stopped working. After two weeks in service, they identified the problem as the BDC and replaced it.

Could the simple coding of the ASS setting with Bimmercode have caused this issue after a couple of months? They updated the software and lost all of my settings including the coding. I want to code it again because I hate ASS, but now I'm worried.

Any advice is appreciated!
Appreciate 1
mrracer45.00
      07-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribnet View Post

I've long admired the X5 and when my '15 Macan S was getting too small for the childseat in the back, I decided to trade it in for '20 X5 40i in February. I was shocked to find that the ASS reverted back on every time I started the car (my mom's '15 X5 and every car my wife and I have had never acted this way). So, I coded it using Bimmercode in February (I followed the steps exactly as they indicated and all was well) to remember the last setting for ASS (which means always off for me lol)

The car has been rock solid until about 3 weeks ago when I got an error about the auto wipers and auto headlights. I discovered that the HomeLink garage door opener and front reading lamps also had just stopped working. After two weeks in service, they identified the problem as the BDC and replaced it.

Could the simple coding of the ASS setting with Bimmercode have caused this issue after a couple of months? They updated the software and lost all of my settings including the coding. I want to code it again because I hate ASS, but now I'm worried.

If it did you would be the first I am aware of. I cannot think of a technical reason that would happen so don't worry about it and code your ass away.
Appreciate 1
hkleyman135.00
      07-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribnet View Post

If it did you would be the first I am aware of. I cannot think of a technical reason that would happen so don't worry about it and code your ass away.
Agreed, to reiterate / as ifr knows very well, ASS coding modifies the DME ECU, not BDC. You should be fine!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
Ribnet
Rep

Thank you so much for the responses! That’s very reassuring.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Even if BimmerCode did code BDC it would simply just be toggling an option from inactive to active. I can't fathom how this would cause the hardware to fail.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
Ribnet
Rep

I think I was just thrown off because the dealer made is seem like something must have happened. They just kept saying that they conferred with BMW NA and the BDC should not have failed, something doesn't seem right. And, that BMW needed extensive diagnostics to determine why it failed before authorizing repair. I have no idea what they were trying to get at but no one asked nor did I volunteer that I coded one setting months earlier.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:14 AM   #7
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

I believe it would be highly unlikely for coding to damage a controller, more likely is there was a defect in the PCB of the controller.
Appreciate 0