BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-20-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Just ordered 2020 X5 M50i - questions

Just placed my order for a 2020 X5 M50i. Alpine white, executive package, 21" wheels, Air suspension & steering package, Bowers & Wilkins, Accoustic glass, luxury seating, tow package, shadowline exterior, coffee (standard) leather, Anthracite poplar matte trim, and a space saver spare tire.

I make a decent living, but I'm by no means "rich". The car is 10% off msrp through military sales ($9500 off), and I pay zero sales tax. So, I'm out-the-door for $85k, instead of $103-$105.

I'm an American living/working in Belgium, and I am expecting it to be delivered in Jan 2020 (it's a US spec car). I'm retired military, also a disabled vet that struggles with migraines, so, hence the reason for going with 21s (instead of 22s), the air suspension, the quiet glass, massage seats, and the upgraded stereo. Incidentally, Belgian roads are worse than Venezuela, so even if 22s would be comfortable with air suspension, the risk of pothole damage is off the charts. If 20s were available without the 130mph reduced speed limiter, I would have ordered those instead. Yes, I regularly drive 145+mph (100% legally) on the German Autobahn. Anyway, now my options should make sense.

I'm also a car guy. Built, restored, hotrodded, and even semi-pro raced over 60 cars in my day. Last 2 "new" cars were heavily modded 2014 328i, and 2016 340i M performance edition. (Anyone want to buy a B58 JB4 w/ bluetooth, and a burger intake?) Not looking to do "much" to this one, but I have been trolling the forums gathering info, including a rear BBK 4-piston upgrade, and red powdercoating of all 4 calipers. But, being a newer vehicle, info is sketchy.

So, questions:

1) The active sound. For me, it absolutely MUST be turned off. I want it DEAD silent inside the cabin. While I'm a pro wrench-turner, I'm not a "techie", so any help/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2) Quality wheel spacers. I remember reading a link that an "aggressive" setup would be 20mm in the rear, and 15mm in the front. I "believe" they were H&R, but not sure. Sounds good to me. I can't find the link to purchase again though. Help?

3) Exhaust. Has anyone attempted to replace the "trim rings" with 4 exhaust tips that clamp on to the existing tailpipes? Not looking to change the exhaust, but I'd like to make it "look" more performance oriented. Maybe the rings need to be removed? Maybe someone has found tips that fit inside the existing rings?

4) Mirrors. I have read that F15 mirror caps are a direct fit. Carbon mirrors for the G05 are hard to find. But F15 carbon mirrors are easy. Are they the same? Has anyone tested/proven this?

5) Mirrors (again). I had my 340 coded/unlocked to auto-fold upon locking (absolutely necessary in Europe). Does the G05 have this feature standard? Or do I need to have that unlocked as well on a US spec car? The dealership is unlocking rear foglights for me already, but they won't do anything unless I know to ask them.

6) Is anyone using the (beta) version of the JB4 yet? Reviews? While it's essentially just a factory tuned version of the same 4.4 tt V8, I'm wondering whether or not the JB4 is even worthwhile.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Matt

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 09-20-2019 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Yes, the mirrors will fold on locking but you have to set it in iDrive, no coding necessary. That's how I have mine setup.

One of the threads somewhere on Active Sound mentioned that the Dealer can shut it off. That might not be true. There were a number of discussions on the X3 forum on ways to turn it off without coding. I don't know if they will work in the X5 but you can look at this.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...t+sound&page=5

Thank you for your service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
5) Mirrors (again). I had my 340 coded/unlocked to auto-fold upon locking (absolutely necessary in Europe). Does the G05 have this feature standard? Or do I need to have that unlocked as well on a US spec car? The dealership is unlocking rear foglights for me already, but they won't do anything unless I know to ask them.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

You got a good deal. I got 11% off MSRP of 99.5K but I had to pay sales tax of 4.4% :\

You are going to love your car... I am so jealous you get to drive on the autobahn.

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Thanks Dan... I will look into it. Much appreciated. I asked the dealer in an email today, but haven't heard back yet... soooo..... fingers crossed.

Aimster..... the Autobahn is cool, but it's not quite as cool as what most Americans think. Yes, there are "sections" all throughout the country (on multiple different highways).... but the longest I've ever seen an "uninterrupted" section was about 20 miles or so. Generally, there will be "something" every 5-10 miles that will have a speed limit that forces you to slow down.

And, Europeans are CONSIDERABLY better, safer, and more courtious drivers.... so when there is traffic, and a speed limit..... they follow it closely, and I do as well.

But still... even if you only have 10 miles at a time...... it's pretty cool to blaze at top speed...... legally.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Just placed my order for a 2020 X5 M50i. Alpine white, executive package, 21" wheels, Air suspension & steering package, Bowers & Wilkins, Accoustic glass, luxury seating, tow package, shadowline exterior, coffee (standard) leather, Anthracite poplar matte trim, and a space saver spare tire.

I make a decent living, but I'm by no means "rich". The car is 10% off msrp through military sales ($9500 off), and I pay zero sales tax. So, I'm out-the-door for $85k, instead of $103-$105.

I'm an American living/working in Belgium, and I am expecting it to be delivered in Jan 2020 (it's a US spec car). I'm retired military, also a disabled vet that struggles with migraines, so, hence the reason for going with 21s (instead of 22s), the air suspension, the quiet glass, massage seats, and the upgraded stereo. Incidentally, Belgian roads are worse than Venezuela, so even if 22s would be comfortable with air suspension, the risk of pothole damage is off the charts. If 20s were available without the 130mph reduced speed limiter, I would have ordered those instead. Yes, I regularly drive 145+mph (100% legally) on the German Autobahn. Anyway, now my options should make sense.

I'm also a car guy. Built, restored, hotrodded, and even semi-pro raced over 60 cars in my day. Last 2 "new" cars were heavily modded 2014 328i, and 2016 340i M performance edition. (Anyone want to buy a B58 JB4 w/ bluetooth, and a burger intake?) Not looking to do "much" to this one, but I have been trolling the forums gathering info, including a rear BBK 4-piston upgrade, and red powdercoating of all 4 calipers. But, being a newer vehicle, info is sketchy.

So, questions:

1) The active sound. For me, it absolutely MUST be turned off. I want it DEAD silent inside the cabin. While I'm a pro wrench-turner, I'm not a "techie", so any help/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2) Quality wheel spacers. I remember reading a link that an "aggressive" setup would be 20mm in the rear, and 15mm in the front. I "believe" they were H&R, but not sure. Sounds good to me. I can't find the link to purchase again though. Help?

3) Exhaust. Has anyone attempted to replace the "trim rings" with 4 exhaust tips that clamp on to the existing tailpipes? Not looking to change the exhaust, but I'd like to make it "look" more performance oriented. Maybe the rings need to be removed? Maybe someone has found tips that fit inside the existing rings?

4) Mirrors. I have read that F15 mirror caps are a direct fit. Carbon mirrors for the G05 are hard to find. But F15 carbon mirrors are easy. Are they the same? Has anyone tested/proven this?

6) Is anyone using the (beta) version of the JB4 yet? Reviews? While it's essentially just a factory tuned version of the same 4.4 tt V8, I'm wondering whether or not the JB4 is even worthwhile.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Matt
Here's the thread regarding the wheel spacers. The OP sells them off his site.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1603269
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
spike5150
Captain
Rep

My M50i has a menu that you can set the ASD to “Reduced”, but not completely off. It is barely noticeable on this setting, but still there.

H&R make good spacers. Don’t risk it with “cheaper” brands.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

VTENGR.... thanks! Exactly what I needed.

Spike.... I'll give it a shot. If it's quiet enough, then I'll be happy. I know better than to use cheap Chinese spacers. In the mid 2000s (In my Subaru Hey-day).... I watched a guy in an STI literally have a wheel fall OFF on a racetrack. He was ok. His car wasn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:32 AM   #8
AlexTheGiant21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ah yes, good ol' Belgium. I do miss the courteous European driving. My favorite courtesy is people move from the left lane if they see you catching up to them, or if they didn't see you, a quick high beam flash and you're on your way. Koreans on the other hand drive like barbarians! Its a dog eat dog world out here. If I didn't drive in the mean streets of Afghanistan, I'd probably never be able to drive here. Traffic laws? What traffic laws?

I might be slightly highjacking your thread but its not often I find someone using the military/diplomatic sales program, so I apologize in advance. As far as sales tax, dont we have to pay once we take it back to the States? I'm doing the same thing and ordered one through military sales, and every time I bring up the sales tax, I'm told check with your states tax laws. Well, the website wasn't easy to navigate so I gave up. Figured U might just put some money away just in case. What have you found out?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Hi Alex,

Yes, admittedly, I do enjoy driving in Europe. People are courteous, safe, and incidents of road rage are practically non-existent. In fact, I recently learned of a LAW (yes, an actual law) in Germany that states that if you are "mean" to someone, you can actually charged with a crime and fined.

Like.... flipping someone off is actually a PUNISHABLE OFFENSE. Luckily, it never happens.

Regarding your question - Yes, I will have to pay taxes on the car when I bring it back to the US. However, I will only have to pay taxes on the DEPRECIATED VALUE of the car from the day it arrives on US soil.

So, while my car may be worth $95k when I buy it.... in 4 or more years from now, it may only be worth $35 or so..... which means I only pay "sales tax" on $35,000. Does that make sense?

Also, when you buy from Military sales overseas..... shipping your car back to the US (whenever that may be) is included in the price. It's "free". That's a $2000-$3000 benefit.
Appreciate 0