nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Very uneven tire wear X6 M50i 22"

Hi all,

My X6 M50i with the 22" staggered setup has about 15k miles on the tires. The outside of the front tires are quite worn compared to center and inside of tread. I can see a tiny bit of white string on the outside. Clearly time to replace.

Is this outside tire wear normal? Can I request an alignment setting that will do less of that for when I put the next set on?

OEM tires were the Conti PremiumContact 6. I am looking at putting on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S as replacements. Any reason I shouldn't? They are not an SUV rated tire per se, but I know that they come on BMW M Competition SUV's. Better ride than the Conti's?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 12:22 PM   #2
slicky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cadilac ATS-V

There is no comparison. 4s are far. Far superior in every summer tires category. These are different classes of tire altogether. Contis are not performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 02:20 PM   #3
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicky View Post
There is no comparison. 4s are far. Far superior in every summer tires category. These are different classes of tire altogether. Contis are not performance tires.
They also have treadwear rating of 300 vs the Contis at 280... that rating doesn't mean much but my experience with Michelins is that they wear very well.

The Michelins were not more expensive than the Conti's... seems like a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #4
CdnBMW
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i AW M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestr View Post
Hi all,

My X6 M50i with the 22" staggered setup has about 15k miles on the tires. The outside of the front tires are quite worn compared to center and inside of tread. I can see a tiny bit of white string on the outside. Clearly time to replace.

Is this outside tire wear normal? Can I request an alignment setting that will do less of that for when I put the next set on?

OEM tires were the Conti PremiumContact 6. I am looking at putting on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S as replacements. Any reason I shouldn't? They are not an SUV rated tire per se, but I know that they come on BMW M Competition SUV's. Better ride than the Conti's?
I had the dealership put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my 2024 X5 when I recently took delivery. Came from the factory with Conti PremiumContact 6 which are Ok tire but PS4S are far superior in tire reviews.

A little pricier then Conti but worth it.
2018 440i xDrive Gran Coupe AW-Ind Opal White,Merino Dash,MPPSK
2012 X5d AW (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #5
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestr View Post
Hi all,

Outter edge excessive wear is not normal at all. This points to two measurement of alignments. 1. Camber. All cars use some amount of negative camber, meaning the inner edges should make more contact to the ground than outter edge. This is opposite of what you have. Usually when alignment is off from driving, it is unlikely both fronts are off the same way. Do left and right tires have the same wear pattern? 2. Too much toe in. Street cars have zero to slight toe in for stability purpose. Too much, both front outter edges will wear faster. I would get alignment check in your case
Appreciate 0