BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-30-2023, 09:58 AM   #23
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It must be a terrible feeling to be so insecure about your purchase. Maybe in the new year you will get the maturity to deal with it.
LOL somebody had to say it.
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga476.00
      12-30-2023, 11:34 AM   #24
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
My favorite pastime: watching turtleboy and cobramite bicker
Too funny, I've incurred the wrath of the guy here who knows everything.

Last edited by cobramite; 12-30-2023 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 01:29 PM   #25
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Comparing a Lambo to a BMW isn't even a relevant conversation. When I bought my Scuderia many years ago I certainly wasn't complaining about the shitty radio or the lack of carpet. And if I bought a Urus I certainly wouldn't be buying it for the HVAC controls.... I'd be buying it for the douche lime green paint job

It's ok if people think a newer model is a downgrade in certain aspects. That's just how it is. I would bet (I love Vegas) that if you went to all LCI owners that had owned a pre-LCI and asked them if they wanted, at the very least, the programmable buttons back, 99% of them would say yes. This, through simple logic, would indicate that the change to remove said buttons would be considered...... (drumroll)...... a downgrade.
Interesting you mention it, since I actually saw a video on YouTube of someone who bought a Ferrari and was complaining about the audio and such on such an expensive car. Many people may not be aware, but a Porsche GT3 is well known for rattles and buzzes…when you go really high-end, there are trade-offs that you won’t find in lesser vehicles (not sure why). I recall getting into a Rolls Royce Cullinan a year ago and I was surprised that it has iDrive 6 or what looked to be quite a primitive infotainment system compared to the X5. At the every high end you are really not paying for digital and infotainment tech from what I can tell…the UI on the Urus looks really bad. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 01:32 PM   #26
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Interesting you mention it, since I actually saw a video on YouTube of someone who bought a Ferrari and was complaining about the audio and such on such an expensive car. Many people may not be aware, but a Porsche GT3 is well known for rattles and buzzes…when you go really high-end, there are trade-offs that you won’t find in lesser vehicles (not sure why). I recall getting into a Rolls Royce Cullinan a year ago and I was surprised that it has iDrive 6 or what looked to be quite a primitive infotainment system compared to the X5. At the every high end you are really not paying for digital and infotainment tech from what I can tell…the UI on the Urus looks really bad. LOL.
Have you ever driven a Urus? They are to die for.
Appreciate 1
poison88.50
      12-30-2023, 01:41 PM   #27
spoodle
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
I sold a 23 Porsche Macan S - no, it's not really high end. And it did drive fantastic. But there were trade offs. In fact, too many of them. My complaints list was long - far too long for a car of that caliber: crap tech, old interior styling, poor fit and finish, so many rattles, and a bunch of little annoying stuff. Too many issues that outweighed the positive and it's in someone else's garage now!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 02:47 PM   #28
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Have you ever driven a Urus? They are to die for.
Haven’t driven one. But there is one in my condo. Also someone has an Aston Martin DBX. They have presence and sound for sure…would love to drive one for sure. Both owners look pretty young, so good for them! 😊
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 02:57 PM   #29
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
I do agree that the constant LCI bashing is a bit beating the dead horse by now. Reminds me of the early days of the G80/82 and everyone bashing on the new grille. Got old over there as well and still makes an appearance when a G8x makes the front page.

Both versions have their pluses and minuses but the fact that some on here continue to hardcore press either side is tiresome.

All that being said, I’m personally loving my new M60i. Would I rather have the actual A/C buttons, sure, but it doesn’t take away from my enjoyment of it so far in the least bit.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 8
LDT1583.00
Mattl0806996.50
cobramite1229.00
dan149568.50
FCX52407.50
Treeboy228.00
hiluca69.50
      12-30-2023, 05:07 PM   #30
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Haven’t driven one. But there is one in my condo. Also someone has an Aston Martin DBX. They have presence and sound for sure…would love to drive one for sure. Both owners look pretty young, so good for them! 😊

Good point, the Aston Martin DBX is a really sharp vehicle. I would imagine that it is fun to drive also.
Appreciate 1
poison88.50
      12-30-2023, 06:52 PM   #31
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

I had a loaner 2023 X5 this week. It's a nice vehicle, but the infotainment system and dash seem very dated compared to the '24. Even though it's a '23, the design started years before that.

Yes, the LCI has some minor annoyances, but it does feel more refined. Now, if I could just get the Check Engine Light on my 50e to stay off, it would be perfect <facepalm>.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 11:03 PM   #32
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
This business about losing the comfort access on the rear doors... That's a total deal.breaker in this segment. It's a family vehicle. Not being able to unlock the car from the rear doors is stupid, and whoever thought that was an acceptable solution to whatever supply chain issue they had should be fired (out of a cannon like a circus clown).

That's seriously not understanding your market. They should have removed comfort access from the x1 or 2 series or something like that to better use their supplies.

Say what you want about how "not having physical buttons isn't that bad", but not having comfort access on the rear doors is totally not understanding the assignment.
Appreciate 5
Treeboy228.00
aug0211167.50
eelnoraa2058.00
      12-31-2023, 01:23 AM   #33
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Stick with your M50i. I traded one 5 months ago and yes it is a fantastic vehicle but the M60i is superior in many ways FOR MY NEEDS.
Fixed it for you. End of the day, you think it’s superior, and you put your money where your desire and thinking led you. Your conclusions aren’t going to be shared by everyone - so maybe learn to speak just for yourself, and not for everyone else….. :-)

Last edited by Photographer918; 12-31-2023 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 05:06 AM   #34
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I do agree that the constant LCI bashing is a bit beating the dead horse by now. Reminds me of the early days of the G80/82 and everyone bashing on the new grille. Got old over there as well and still makes an appearance when a G8x makes the front page.

Both versions have their pluses and minuses but the fact that some on here continue to hardcore press either side is tiresome.

All that being said, I’m personally loving my new M60i. Would I rather have the actual A/C buttons, sure, but it doesn’t take away from my enjoyment of it so far in the least bit.

🤷🏻&zwj;♂️
The title of thread is: "To LCI? Or not?" and the opening post reflects that question.

I considered that question carefully before buying my second X5 - the first one was literally bought for an extended test drive, as I wasn't sure I could comfortably downsize from my 2014 Toyota Tundra.

Before buying the second X5, I extensively cross-shopped and test drove X7s, X6s, and X5s in both pre-LCI or LCI configuration (on the X7.)

I'm truly happy that you and others are enjoying the LCI, just as I'm happily enjoying the pre-LCI, along with some others. But the constant feedback from some LCI owners can be summed up as "I bought one and think it's great, so I don't understand why anyone would think differently, and if they do they must be voicing that opinion only to diminish our enjoyment of the LCI we chose." That's a ridiculous argument.....

I spent five years peeling people out of cars, treating their injuries and caring them to the hospital, as a teenager. I took and passed the National Safety Council's Defensive Driving class as part of learning how to drive ambulances. I have concerns about the distractions of moving more things onto screens, and having them take more screen touches than they used to on a physical button - but hey, I also hail from a country where cup holders weren't a thing, because a driver's hands belong on the wheel, not drinking something while cruising the autobahn.

My posts tend to spell out what the LCI tradeoffs are:
  • Ckimate controls on the screen
  • Some DAP controls on the screen
  • Heated steering wheel switch removal from the wheel
  • Rear door comfort access deletion
  • Newer more potent engines - especially the S68 is a bonus on the LCI
  • Some folks like the new tech layout; others prefer the cowl around the instrument cluster
  • Some folks love the X5 logo on the dash, others prefer the more understated interior lighting scheme on the pre-LCI

There's lots of good stuff about the LCI; I wish I didn't have the safety concerns, because I would have loved to take delivery in South Carolina - but that was unfortunately not an option for me.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade - but I do want to provide the OP with some consideration points, so e can make an informed decision and be as happy as you or me, with his new ride..... :-)
Appreciate 4
Mattl0806996.50
TurtleBoy13544.50
skiboy36.00
      12-31-2023, 07:02 AM   #35
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post
Fixed it for you. End of the day, you think it’s superior, and you put your money where your desire and thinking led you. Your conclusions aren’t going to be shared by everyone - so maybe learn to speak just for yourself, and not for everyone else….. :-)
You need to take a dose of your own medicine Dude.
Maybe you should just ignore the many positive comments about the LCI models on this forum as it is abundantly clear that this causes you distress. Ya don't like the new stuff then don't buy it, very simple.

Last edited by cobramite; 12-31-2023 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 08:03 AM   #36
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
My favorite pastime: watching turtleboy and cobramite bicker
TurtleBoy is always civil in his comments, even when he disagrees. He's never demeaning or insulting, nor does he brag about his tremendous wealth or unerring taste.
Appreciate 10
LDT1583.00
Jszlaga476.00
X6ix GTA142.00
dan149568.50
eelnoraa2058.00
WagonFan271.50
AGONXF30285.00
      12-31-2023, 08:10 AM   #37
spoodle
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
This business about losing the comfort access on the rear doors... That's a total deal.breaker in this segment. It's a family vehicle. Not being able to unlock the car from the rear doors is stupid, and whoever thought that was an acceptable solution to whatever supply chain issue they had should be fired (out of a cannon like a circus clown).

That's seriously not understanding your market. They should have removed comfort access from the x1 or 2 series or something like that to better use their supplies.

Say what you want about how "not having physical buttons isn't that bad", but not having comfort access on the rear doors is totally not understanding the assignment.

I would also prefer comfort access on the rear doors - touch and unlock. I put all my crap on the back seat every trip. I'm getting around this with the unlock on approach with my key/phone and it unlocks all the doors on approach, solving the issue for me.
Appreciate 3
LDT1583.00
Mattl0806996.50
Treeboy228.00
      12-31-2023, 08:21 AM   #38
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoodle View Post
I would also prefer comfort access on the rear doors - touch and unlock. I put all my crap on the back seat every trip. I'm getting around this with the unlock on approach with my key/phone and it unlocks all the doors on approach, solving the issue for me.
Agree with this. This is how I currently do it even on pre LCI. I like to be open minded but I have a hard time understanding why it’s such a big deal for some.
Appreciate 1
spoodle175.50
      12-31-2023, 08:54 AM   #39
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoodle View Post
That's a big step towards making it more palatable, my unlock on approach isn't exactly infallible, but it works like 80% of the time as I approach from the front, not as often from the back and I end up having to grab a handle for it to unlock. Unfortunately that's usually a rear door handle and I have a kid in my arms, and if I had to then go grab a front door handle, big inconvenience that I'd be majorly pissed off about in a luxury vehicle when a Ford Explorer doesn't have that failing.

Anecdotally, one of my other cars is a C6 Corvette. It has a proximity lock/unlock as well, and while I love the feature, that's one of the most hated features on their forum. People are ALWAYS asking how to turn it off for various reasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 09:05 AM   #40
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
TurtleBoy is always civil in his comments, even when he disagrees. He's never demeaning or insulting, nor does he brag about his tremendous wealth or unerring taste.
Do you mean like when he calls me "insecure" on multiple occaisions?
He seems like a decent guy who provides good info here just don't ever disagree with him but nothing to lose any sleep over.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 09:16 AM   #41
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you mean like when he calls me "insecure" on multiple occaisions?
He seems like a decent guy who provides good info here just don't ever disagree with him but nothing to lose any sleep over.
A lot of people would say that's him being professional, and not being demeaning. He's providing objective feedback. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 09:23 AM   #42
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
A lot of people would say that's him being professional, and not being demeaning. He's providing objective feedback. Lol.
Interesting as he has never met nor spoken to me personally.
He is a Psychiatrist or Psychologist by degree and practice?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 10:02 AM   #43
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
That's a big step towards making it more palatable, my unlock on approach isn't exactly infallible, but it works like 80% of the time as I approach from the front, not as often from the back and I end up having to grab a handle for it to unlock. Unfortunately that's usually a rear door handle and I have a kid in my arms, and if I had to then go grab a front door handle, big inconvenience that I'd be majorly pissed off about in a luxury vehicle when a Ford Explorer doesn't have that failing..
I have seen a number of people post that they won't use that approach due to safety concerns. They would rather not have all of the doors unlock but rather the one they touch. I have mine set to unlock on approach so wouldn't generally have an issue with the LCI shortcoming but, like you, think it is a terrible move by BMW.

Unfortunately what we may be seeing is the success of the X5 allowing BMW to cut corners and remove what should be common features, luxury, etc. from it. Hopefully it is not the case but we may have to see a sizable drop in sales volume before they change course. Given that it can be argued that other, often less expensive, luxury SUVs offered more luxury features and options maybe that will provide the impetus for BMW.
Mattl0806996.50
hotvee141.00
      12-31-2023, 11:31 AM   #44
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I have seen a number of people post that they won't use that approach due to safety concerns. They would rather not have all of the doors unlock but rather the one they touch. I have mine set to unlock on approach so wouldn't generally have an issue with the LCI shortcoming but, like you, think it is a terrible move by BMW.

Unfortunately what we may be seeing is the success of the X5 allowing BMW to cut corners and remove what should be common features, luxury, etc. from it. Hopefully it is not the case but we may have to see a sizable drop in sales volume before they change course. Given that it can be argued that other, often less expensive, luxury SUVs offered more luxury features and options maybe that will provide the impetus for BMW.
Agreed. The problem with attitudes like this is once you've hit that point of "we went too far", you've done MASSIVE damage to your brand and demand. You've lost all your goodwill and a lot of repeat buyers,

w needs to recognize that the only thing they've got over something like the GV80 is understated design, and the V8 powertrain. If they push to reduce costs too far, people will switch, get used to the warranty for basically forever (and not needing it for silly things), etc. Then you have to conquest back those buyers, and that's HARD.
Appreciate 1
aug0211167.50