BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2023, 07:34 PM   #1
Kripab
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 x5 40i

x5 40i v X5 50e v iX

x5 40i v X5 50e v iX

Needing help with a decision to choose my new car please.

Choice #1 = X5 40i LCI.

None available for me to test drive and only have a 30d available to test drive. Are they noticeably different/better to previous? I have not experienced the mild hybrid technology.

Reluctance here is I have already had two and wanted something a little different/better.

I have already owned 2019 and 2022 versions of the 40i.

Choice #2 = X5 50e
I am told the ICE is used much of the time. Hybrid only when taking off and in bumper to bumper traffic.

Long delays for production and a $11k additional cost (Australian deliveries of these are months away and there are no rebates here).

Nothing for me to test drive. Not seeing any useful media reviews online.

Choice #3 = ix 40i.
I bought this car in March and its been in the service department for the last 10 weeks waiting for parts. Ive rejected it as a lemon and asked for a new car. Feeling its a new technology and not quite perfect whereas the X5 has had numerous updates over each iteration.
Replacement car here if its something I want.

Thoughts please.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 08:07 PM   #2
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

If you have only one car, I would not pick IX.
Between 40i & 50e, if you don't get any rebate for 50e, probably not that worthy.

If you do have 2nd car, I would prefer to buy a pure EV for a smaller sedan, and use X5 as ICE so you can enjoy the best of both worlds. one for quick errand and one for family long trips.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 09:14 PM   #3
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Actually have drive all of them for over a week back to back to back. I bought a 50e and had it just 1 week before drop it to service department to fix EV Cooling valve. Dealer gave me a 40i loaner and after a week I switched to an iX50. I have more than 500miles on both 50e and 40i; 300-ish miles on IX 50 so far

Acceleration: iX >> 50e >> 40i ; note the difference is much much larger than I expected. 40i is just very slow when compared with other two, I have multiple times used full throttle trying to accelerate from 55 to 85 and I am not impressed at all. It is the only car in the group I have the thought of I wish I had more power. iX is a bit extreme - full throttle get you very violent and instaneous acceleration at the level of causing dizziness - similar to riding a roller coaster. It is very fun. 50e is in the middle - it is also very fast and I won’t think I need more power on the freeway even at 70% pedal; however nowhere near iX. The difference feels much bigger than advertised 4.6 vs 4.4 0-60. Yet it feels much more powerful than the 40i.

Driving Comfort: 50e > iX = 40i ; the iX I drove did not have air suspension.

High speed perceived stability: 50e = 40i > iX. Not sure why but I feel X5 at high speed (95+ mph) is very very stable, iX is less so. I feel the “happy natural” speed for X5 is around 95mph; while iX around 85. Again, just personal feeling.

Cabin comfort: both with base seat, X5 is miles ahead.

Regarding to EV mode: without gas engine engaged 50e is powerful enough to do day to day driving with quite a bit punch on initial pull from red light; nothing more. On highway you can gradually push towards 88-90 mph. With iX you can basically outaccelerate anything within a split second.

Last edited by aaaaaaaaaz; 07-15-2023 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 3
      07-16-2023, 12:07 AM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

You can drive the 50e in electric mode up to nearly 90mph. In hybrid, it will run in electric mode unless you push it or get into a situation where the ICE is more efficient. The EV motor is always there to augment things from startup and to add that little extra boost when needed, or it would be more efficient...if you have some city or low-speed drives, you can easily do it all in electric mode. Now, depending on what your relative electric supply cost is versus petrol, in many places, it will save you some money.

I've owned a BEV, and liked it for my around-town travels, but once the X5 PHEV came out and the electric range became big enough for most of my local trips, I sold my ICE and BEV for the PHEV. For a large vehicle, I see about 28mpg on a long trip and people with the 50e say it's a bit better.

I do not know what the DC charging network is in Australia, but it also would depend on where you intend to drive the thing...a PHEV, as long as you can find petrol, will just keep going. Recharging it will make it more efficient, but it never really lets the battery get so discharged it can't augment normal operations, it just may not be able to sustain EV only mode if you can't recharge it on a trip.

At least in the USA, a BEV still has issues on long trips. Battery tech keeps improving, and by the end of the decade, and in limited models sooner, you should be able to recharge a BEV in about the time it takes to refill the tank...those days aren't here yet. BEVs will become much more common then, especially as some of the new battery technology improves power density.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 12:39 AM   #5
Kripab
Australia
Rep

Does the 50e in day to day commuting at suburban speeds run on ICE or electric or a combination of the two?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 11:48 AM   #6
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kripab View Post
Does the 50e in day to day commuting at suburban speeds run on ICE or electric or a combination of the two?
For mine, normal driving never kicks the ICE on unless I want to do a quick acceleration (passing someone). Driving normally is all electric in my experience
Appreciate 1
gsquare71.50
      07-16-2023, 12:24 PM   #7
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Yes. Even 45e, we do normal commute all in electric. We do think 99% of the time, Edrive has enough power to daily use. 50e has bigger battery and more powerful E motor, should be sufficient
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 01:39 PM   #8
fan25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kripab View Post
From my experience in 45e, the ICE will kick-in under hybrid mode when:

1. The speed exceeds 64mph ish
2. You push the pedal hard enough and the system think you need more than EV power/torque.
3. Uphilling (I believe this is a special scenario of 2

Otherwise the car will operate in EV.

You can also switch to Electric mode and the car will operate in EV with the maximum speed of 89mph ish, which should suffice both suburb and highway need. I personally use Electric mode for my daily commute everyday, which includes a portion of highway.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 03:48 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If you like to drive like a jack rabbit, you'll be engaging the ICE frequently. IF you drive more sanely, at least around town, you may rarely engage the ICE. It is my experience that around town, I can easily keep up with or lead traffic when leaving a red light or stop sign and never engage the ICE. The 50e has a more powerful EV motor, so should be at least as good, and probably better in this respect. To accomplish this, you have to be smooth...no jerky reactions.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 09:23 AM   #10
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

The two weeks I had possession of my 50e (currently held hostage in the service department) after getting home from factory delivery (PCD), I was averaging 112mpge in the city. Most in town driving was all electric while in Hybrid mode. It is sort of a game to me to prevent the ICE from ever starting/engaging during my trips. I plug in every evening.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 09:52 AM   #11
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
I currently have 2021 45e and knowing what I know,...and was choosing between 40i, 50e, or iX, I'd go with the 50e all day long! I'm seeing a solid 34-36 miles of electric driving given my driving style/terrain/and temps! Perhaps if there was a full BEV G05 X5 I'd consider an all out electric version,...as the iX's styling doesn't do it for me. The 45e feels way faster off the line (...in electric mode only) than my V8 powered 2013 Chevy Avalanche! Not that I'm comparing the two,...ah wait, I just did! Oh well.
      07-25-2023, 09:52 AM   #12
ChittyChittyBangBang
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

iX thoughts

I have an ix 50 on a rather long loan from my dealer service department. Waiting for a replacement wireless charging pad (mine overheats the phone and supposedly there is something of a fix). The piece is coming from Germany.

Anyway I can provide a few thoughts on the ix 50 vs. the 45e.

The ix is wicked fast, and can go something like 370 miles on a full charge. I don't like most of the layout features compared with the 45e. In particular, as somebody mentioned, the seats are very futurisitic but also uncomfortable. Of course my 45e has the tricked out seats (an option) and I just love that seat.

The trunk on the ix is not as well laid out as the 45e.

I also miss the sunroof.

In short the ix is fun but I prefer my 45e for daily use. I imagine the 50e is even better but the 45e is plenty good.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 09:55 AM   #13
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan25 View Post
From my experience in 45e, the ICE will kick-in under hybrid mode when:

1. The speed exceeds 64mph ish
2. You push the pedal hard enough and the system think you need more than EV power/torque.
3. Uphilling (I believe this is a special scenario of 2

Otherwise the car will operate in EV.

You can also switch to Electric mode and the car will operate in EV with the maximum speed of 89mph ish, which should suffice both suburb and highway need. I personally use Electric mode for my daily commute everyday, which includes a portion of highway.

Don't forget about the Battery Hold mode!
      07-25-2023, 10:07 AM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Don't forget about the Battery Hold mode!
There is no Battery Hold on the 45e, that has Battery Control which operates differently than Battery Hold on the 50e.
WagonFan271.50
      07-26-2023, 10:36 AM   #15
kamichael
BMW M on my mind
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3, 23 M2, 24 X5 50e

Garage List
Long reply…

I started with a similar situation to you. I purchased a new ‘24 iX M60 and it started experiencing malfunction alerts within the first 200 miles of ownership - high voltage and drivetrain. As part of these malfunction alerts, the car exhibited a very erratic behavior when accelerating. I took it directly back to the dealer center that I bought it from and requested they take the car back. I cannot say enough positive things about my dealer here in Southern California. Both my sales advisor and the general sales manager were quick to help resolve the issue and agreed to unwind the contract. I have a history of buying with them and they have never let me down. A stellar example of customer service. Fortunately, they had just received a shipment of X5’s and had a 50e that was configured to my liking.

I want to note that I’ve previously owned 8 X5 models, going back to the E70 chassis - and several of every X5 model since. This was our main family car and the iX I’d bought was replacing a ‘22 45e. I honestly only went for it due to the huge incentives that were in place. Here in the U.S., every local dealer to me had 50-60 in stock. Combined with the shortage on X5 models, my ‘22 45e was worth significantly more, making the switch attractive. I was not at all unhappy with the 45e, it had been a perfect ownership experience for nearly 14k miles.

Anyway, the iX was unplanned and an impulse buy given the circumstances. I thought it was a good opportunity to get into a BMW EV and for the 5 days we had it, I did enjoy it. There were some design choices I felt were negatives, but that’s a different discussion. Until it failed, I did like it. I could have continued with it, no trouble. However, given the way it failed and how soon after taking delivery, I lost faith relying on this for my wife and family use.

So, back to the X5 50e and LCI X5 (G05) lineup. They are all exceptional cars. I know there are some recent and ongoing reports of delays and issues with the LCI, but I still feel it’s a better SUV (or SAV to BMW folk) than the iX at this time. During the 5 additional days I was waiting for the 50e to go through PDI, the dealer provided me with a new ‘24 X5 40i loaner - xLine, moderately equipped with 21” sport wheels. In all honesty, it was just about perfect. Smooth power delivery, stable ride, perfect handling from the regular non-adjustable suspension. It felt more like a typical BMW when driving. I’d say the biggest difference on the 50e is the ride. The air suspension completely changes the comfort level - for me this is a big plus. It makes for an extremely plush ride. Although you can firm it up in sport mode, it does not feel as firm as the non-air suspension models. I know you said there were none around you, but I’d suggest trying to test drive one - even an older 45e, to see if you like it. Again, to me this was a good option. Still handles well and inspires confidence - in a plusher manner.

Lastly, the obvious “advantage” to a 50e over a 40i for some is the PHEV capability. Here in North America, it is rated at about 40-45 miles. Based on my experience with the 45e, this will be accurate as the 45e I had regularly got the rated 30 miles (+/-). My initial impression of the 50e (coming from the 45e) is more of the same functionality, with a noticeable boost in performance and expected EV battery range. The other obvious update cones with the various changes with the LCI. This is subjective and discussed in other threads, but in short they are mostly positive over my 45e. Given all models now have similar updates, when looking at new BMW models, they all have these changes.

Either way - the recommendation and point I’m trying to arrive at is to go with an X5 over the iX. Based on my experience, either model (50e or 40i) are hands down better options - at the same time probably standing as BMW’s best overall SAV model currently built. This is coming from a previous owner of 8 X5’s and several dozen other models over the years. I currently own two other BMW built models (from ‘22 and ‘23) and love the brand. Fir me, I’m going to wait a bit for BMW to carry the full EV drivetrain to the X5 - seemingly in the next refresh.

Best of luck in your decision.
Appreciate 5
Kripab23.00
Mixitt372.00
fides710.00
Xtabi1707.50
      07-26-2023, 01:09 PM   #16
Zorrotwo
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamichael View Post
Long reply…

I started with a similar situation to you. I purchased a new ‘24 iX M60 and it started experiencing malfunction alerts within the first 200 miles of ownership - high voltage and drivetrain. As part of these malfunction alerts, the car exhibited a very erratic behavior when accelerating. I took it directly back to the dealer center that I bought it from and requested they take the car back. I cannot say enough positive things about my dealer here in Southern California. Both my sales advisor and the general sales manager were quick to help resolve the issue and agreed to unwind the contract. I have a history of buying with them and they have never let me down. A stellar example of customer service. Fortunately, they had just received a shipment of X5’s and had a 50e that was configured to my liking.

I want to note that I’ve previously owned 8 X5 models, going back to the E70 chassis - and several of every X5 model since. This was our main family car and the iX I’d bought was replacing a ‘22 45e. I honestly only went for it due to the huge incentives that were in place. Here in the U.S., every local dealer to me had 50-60 in stock. Combined with the shortage on X5 models, my ‘22 45e was worth significantly more, making the switch attractive. I was not at all unhappy with the 45e, it had been a perfect ownership experience for nearly 14k miles.

Anyway, the iX was unplanned and an impulse buy given the circumstances. I thought it was a good opportunity to get into a BMW EV and for the 5 days we had it, I did enjoy it. There were some design choices I felt were negatives, but that’s a different discussion. Until it failed, I did like it. I could have continued with it, no trouble. However, given the way it failed and how soon after taking delivery, I lost faith relying on this for my wife and family use.

So, back to the X5 50e and LCI X5 (G05) lineup. They are all exceptional cars. I know there are some recent and ongoing reports of delays and issues with the LCI, but I still feel it’s a better SUV (or SAV to BMW folk) than the iX at this time. During the 5 additional days I was waiting for the 50e to go through PDI, the dealer provided me with a new ‘24 X5 40i loaner - xLine, moderately equipped with 21” sport wheels. In all honesty, it was just about perfect. Smooth power delivery, stable ride, perfect handling from the regular non-adjustable suspension. It felt more like a typical BMW when driving. I’d say the biggest difference on the 50e is the ride. The air suspension completely changes the comfort level - for me this is a big plus. It makes for an extremely plush ride. Although you can firm it up in sport mode, it does not feel as firm as the non-air suspension models. I know you said there were none around you, but I’d suggest trying to test drive one - even an older 45e, to see if you like it. Again, to me this was a good option. Still handles well and inspires confidence - in a plusher manner.

Lastly, the obvious “advantage” to a 50e over a 40i for some is the PHEV capability. Here in North America, it is rated at about 40-45 miles. Based on my experience with the 45e, this will be accurate as the 45e I had regularly got the rated 30 miles (+/-). My initial impression of the 50e (coming from the 45e) is more of the same functionality, with a noticeable boost in performance and expected EV battery range. The other obvious update cones with the various changes with the LCI. This is subjective and discussed in other threads, but in short they are mostly positive over my 45e. Given all models now have similar updates, when looking at new BMW models, they all have these changes.

Either way - the recommendation and point I’m trying to arrive at is to go with an X5 over the iX. Based on my experience, either model (50e or 40i) are hands down better options - at the same time probably standing as BMW’s best overall SAV model currently built. This is coming from a previous owner of 8 X5’s and several dozen other models over the years. I currently own two other BMW built models (from ‘22 and ‘23) and love the brand. Fir me, I’m going to wait a bit for BMW to carry the full EV drivetrain to the X5 - seemingly in the next refresh.

Best of luck in your decision.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 01:55 PM   #17
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
There is no Battery Hold on the 45e, that has Battery Control which operates differently than Battery Hold on the 50e.
Oh! Ok... Ty
      07-29-2023, 06:20 AM   #18
Kripab
Australia
Rep

kamichael - Thank you for you comments!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 03:11 PM   #19
Kripab
Australia
Rep