BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #1
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Photo Request: X5 with Lowering Links on Highest Setting

Calling all members with lowering links installed on their X5! Requesting a photo on the highest setting (most clearance). Looking to purchase a set, but if the highest setting isn't high enough for heavy snow clearance during the winter season, I may pass...

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I "believe" that all the aftermarket lowering links are all adjustable. I have a set in my garage that I plan on installing when my new wheels arrive (BBM, which is the most popular brand for our cars)..... and I can lower the car several inches if I want..... or only a few mm. Or..... none at all I guess if you wanted to.

I "suspect" I'm going to do a moderate 1-inch drop, but I need to actually "see" the new wheels on the car first before I make that determination. I bought a stupid-wide set of wheels & tires, and a wider wheel can often throw off the overall appearance of the car, even if the height is exactly the same.

I can't personally testify to the complexity involved with making those adjustments, as I haven't done the install yet. But, I "believe" the front is adjustable with the wheels on, whereas the rear wheels need to be removed for adjustments. Perhaps someone that has done the install can chime in?

In either case..... it's as low as you want it. In fact, depending on the adjustability, you may even be able to raise the car a bit. Not 100% sure on that though.

However much you lower the car on your normal driving setting..... it will be exactly that much lower on all 5 settings. The choice is yours. It's not like coil springs on a traditional suspension where your ride height is set at whatever the spring manufacturer chooses. With drop links, you adjust as much or as little drop as you want.

If you drop 1 inch..... then all 5 of your ride height settings will be exactly 1 inch lower than they are now. 1/2 inch? Same thing. 2 inches? Same thing.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 07-23-2020 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Thanks, that's helpful to know! You basically fine tune to your liking, so there may be varied heights.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
Thanks, that's helpful to know! You basically fine tune to your liking, so there may be varied heights.
Absolutely. I'm actually preparing to spend an entire day adjusting my ride height, because it may involve removing and replacing the wheels several times until I get it exactly where I want it.

But..... once it's there.... it's done.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

The front wheel is easy to adjust with the wheels on, you see them if you lift the car with a jack.
The rear wheel is more difficult, they are behind the wheel, even if you lift it, see photo, also you have to disconnect them because they are a little bit different than the front ones
Attached Images

Last edited by bhe; 07-24-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 04:32 AM   #6
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
Calling all members with lowering links installed on their X5! Requesting a photo on the highest setting (most clearance). Looking to purchase a set, but if the highest setting isn't high enough for heavy snow clearance during the winter season, I may pass...

Thanks in advance!
I can take some pictures after I get my car back this Friday. BTW I'm selling a set of links I got from RG Sport, brand new with instructions from them. https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1738985
Appreciate 0