BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
SeasonalBread
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

How to increase reliability of the N63 engine in the M50i?

I'm currently debating between getting the x5 M50i or the X3M. As i plan to drive the car for 10-15 years, reliability is a concern for me. The X3M is based on the B58 engine which is said to be one of Bmw's more reliable engines. It has also served me well in my F30.

However, upon digging more into the N63 engine, it appears to have numerous problems regarding oil consumption, and problems that manifest with extra heat due to the hot Vee engine. A lot of people say that these issues plagued the earlier engines, but have been fixed with the TU3 variant of the n63.
https://bimmerlife.com/2019/06/01/up...ption-lawsuit/

https://thelemonfirm.com/2019/12/03/...ed-n63-engine/

both those articles say that while the issue is present in past iterations of the engine, bmw has yet to fix the problem, and new lawsuits are being filed because of this issue.

Are there any aftermarket solutions to solve this heat issue? While i'm not expecting toyota reliability from this car, I expect it not to require thousands a year to keep running.

As of now I'm leaning towards the X3M unless anyone can convince me for the M50i.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
647TTA
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5 M50i ordered 9/11/2020
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

I keep my cars for a long time and have been struggling with the N63 decision as well. I ordered a M50i last week. After doing a lot of research, I found that a lot of changes and progress has been made. That said, life is short and for me the risk is worth the reward.
__________________
2021 X5 M50i: Ordered 9/11, Started production 9/15
Other vehicles: 2019 Corvette Z06, 2019 RAM Longhorn, 2018 Acura RLX, 2007 Acura MDX, 2002 Pontiac CE Trans Am, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
speedyman
Private
speedyman's Avatar
17
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, rx350
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bonita Springs FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonalBread View Post
I'm currently debating between getting the x5 M50i or the X3M. As i plan to drive the car for 10-15 years, reliability is a concern for me. The X3M is based on the B58 engine which is said to be one of Bmw's more reliable engines. It has also served me well in my F30.

However, upon digging more into the N63 engine, it appears to have numerous problems regarding oil consumption, and problems that manifest with extra heat due to the hot Vee engine. A lot of people say that these issues plagued the earlier engines, but have been fixed with the TU3 variant of the n63.
https://bimmerlife.com/2019/06/01/up...ption-lawsuit/

https://thelemonfirm.com/2019/12/03/...ed-n63-engine/

both those articles say that while the issue is present in past iterations of the engine, bmw has yet to fix the problem, and new lawsuits are being filed because of this issue.

Are there any aftermarket solutions to solve this heat issue? While i'm not expecting toyota reliability from this car, I expect it not to require thousands a year to keep running.

As of now I'm leaning towards the X3M unless anyone can convince me for the M50i.
You are going to keep this vehicle for at least 10 and possibly 15 years? You should be looking at something powered by a Ford or Chevrolet V8 if that type of longevity is what you are looking for. They are bullet proof.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
SeasonalBread
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

If i wanted a reliable car, i would buy a toyota or a honda. I want a bmw because of the driving experience/luxury. I do not expect perfect reliability from a bmw, but I expect it to be close in reliability to my B58 F30, which the N63TU3 M50i does not appear to be. I wanted to see if anyone had first-hand experience with the newer N63s to give some advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
SeasonalBread
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 647TTA View Post
I keep my cars for a long time and have been struggling with the N63 decision as well. I ordered a M50i last week. After doing a lot of research, I found that a lot of changes and progress has been made. That said, life is short and for me the risk is worth the reward.
I've seen that changes have been made to the car but several reports still say it consumes excess oil and still has issues that plagued older N63s. With that being said I'll most likely buy the X3M.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
speedyman
Private
speedyman's Avatar
17
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, rx350
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bonita Springs FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonalBread View Post
If i wanted a reliable car, i would buy a toyota or a honda. I want a bmw because of the driving experience/luxury. I do not expect perfect reliability from a bmw, but I expect it to be close in reliability to my B58 F30, which the N63TU3 M50i does not appear to be. I wanted to see if anyone had first-hand experience with the newer N63s to give some advice.
You weren't talking about cars. I thought you were interested in an SUV with a great motor from what you wrote. Get a full size GM or Ford SUV, they run forever. Not a fan of Asian vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
LexxM3
Lieutenant Colonel
LexxM3's Avatar
Canada
1123
Rep
1,891
Posts

Drives: E46M3, G05X5
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Waterloo, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
While numerous other issues have been reported with the G05 X5 here, I don't recall even one hint relating to engine issues. Now it's only been less than 2 years, but ... not even one report.

What I would be more worried for a long-keep car with modern BMWs and particularly the electronic/software "flagship" G05 is ... electronics/software. Both hardware and software on these cars is evolving quickly and even less than 2-year old cars still well in warranty are already being left behind. 10-15 years?
__________________
G05 X5 x40i (04/2019 mfg, Canada) on S18A-19-11-540
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
speedyman
Private
speedyman's Avatar
17
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, rx350
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bonita Springs FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonalBread View Post
I'm currently debating between getting the x5 M50i or the X3M. As i plan to drive the car for 10-15 years, reliability is a concern for me. The X3M is based on the B58 engine which is said to be one of Bmw's more reliable engines. It has also served me well in my F30.

However, upon digging more into the N63 engine, it appears to have numerous problems regarding oil consumption, and problems that manifest with extra heat due to the hot Vee engine. A lot of people say that these issues plagued the earlier engines, but have been fixed with the TU3 variant of the n63.
https://bimmerlife.com/2019/06/01/up...ption-lawsuit/

https://thelemonfirm.com/2019/12/03/...ed-n63-engine/

both those articles say that while the issue is present in past iterations of the engine, bmw has yet to fix the problem, and new lawsuits are being filed because of this issue.

Are there any aftermarket solutions to solve this heat issue? While i'm not expecting toyota reliability from this car, I expect it not to require thousands a year to keep running.

As of now I'm leaning towards the X3M unless anyone can convince me for the M50i.
X3 M vs. X5 M50i, no brainer if price isn't a deal breaker. The X5 is what an SUV should and with the M50i has the power to stomp on most every other thing on the road. The X3 is too small and trying to be some kind of a both worlds, car and SUV in one. Get a sports sedan if that is what you want.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #9
SeasonalBread
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
You weren't talking about cars. I thought you were interested in an SUV with a great motor from what you wrote. Get a full size GM or Ford SUV, they run forever. Not a fan of Asian vehicles.
If i was interested in a reliable SUV i would get a toyota, but sometimes you want a vehicle that isn't point A -> point B while still being somewhat reliable.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #10
SeasonalBread
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
While numerous other issues have been reported with the G05 X5 here, I don't recall even one hint relating to engine issues. Now it's only been less than 2 years, but ... not even one report.

What I would be more worried for a long-keep car with modern BMWs and particularly the electronic/software "flagship" G05 is ... electronics/software. Both hardware and software on these cars is evolving quickly and even less than 2-year old cars still well in warranty are already being left behind. 10-15 years?
I don't care too much about the electronics in the car. As long as the bluetooth works, i'm fine. In the articles i showed, BMW is also being sued because the newer N63 engines fail to address the excess oil consumption issues. there isn't much more electronic wise that they could add that would make me worry about missing out.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #11
SeasonalBread
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
X3 M vs. X5 M50i, no brainer if price isn't a deal breaker. The X5 is what an SUV should and with the M50i has the power to stomp on most every other thing on the road. The X3 is too small and trying to be some kind of a both worlds, car and SUV in one. Get a sports sedan if that is what you want.
I understand that the x3m is trying to be an SUV disguised as a sports car, and i'm fine with that. The storage, and seating room are good enough for me. While i know the X5M50i has a V8 engine, I still can't get over the reliability(or lack thereof) of it. I will most likely be purchasing the X3M.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #12
647TTA
New Member
United_States
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5 M50i ordered 9/11/2020
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

If you are looking for reliability, the new generation MDX will be announced within the next month and will be available shortly thereafter. Other than regular maintenance, we have only had to pay about $200 for repairs in the 14 years we have owned our 2007. Extremely reliable, much less exciting to drive than the M50i. Reliable but not passion inspiring. I don't find myself looking for a reason to go for a drive in the MDX like I do with the Z06 and hope to with the M50i.
__________________
2021 X5 M50i: Ordered 9/11, Started production 9/15
Other vehicles: 2019 Corvette Z06, 2019 RAM Longhorn, 2018 Acura RLX, 2007 Acura MDX, 2002 Pontiac CE Trans Am, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST