BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
abcd4321
Rep
Drives: Uber

Custom order with Autonation

Anyone ever done a customer order with Autonation?

I thought this is a good ideal (see attached) and already signed this price sheet and authorized my credit card with BMW of Delray Beach to start the build. Was told order was submitted to Spartanburg Manufacturing Plant and I'll be able to start tracking the build once they have the vin.

Any tips or feedback if you've done business with them or tips on the build process would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
mocad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Looks like they claw back a bit of the discount in the Doc Fee line. That still makes it an 8% discount from MSRP, if you reduce the discount by that amount.

Current: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i (on order)
R.I.P.: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i (18-Jul-2022)
Past: 2008 335xi (fond memories)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd4321 View Post
Anyone ever done a customer order with Autonation?

I thought this is a good ideal (see attached) and already signed this price sheet and authorized my credit card with BMW of Delray Beach to start the build. Was told order was submitted to Spartanburg Manufacturing Plant and I'll be able to start tracking the build once they have the vin.

Any tips or feedback if you've done business with them or tips on the build process would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Whoa, nice high level discount but a $799 doc fee is insane and only their way to disguise giving you a lower discount. Doc fee should not be more than $150 and half that would be about right. No, no experience with Automation but thanks for posting the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
abcd4321
Rep
Drives: Uber

This is the normal doc fee range for Florida dealers I believe. Three other dealers I was in contact with were around $800, one was $1000.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:42 AM   #5
Osheatwo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2023 BMW 330E  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd4321 View Post
This is the normal doc fee range for Florida dealers I believe. Three other dealers I was in contact with were around $800, one was $1000.
In Atlanta most BMW dealers charge 799 doc fee so think just depends on state.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yeah sure they charge any fee they like but that doesn't make it right. I would really have them document what that fee consists of, line by line to see if it makes sense, like maybe they are including your registrations and plates, etc. Doc fees are negotiable. The last doc fee I paid for a new car out of PA was $141.00 two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Yeah sure they charge any fee they like but that doesn't make it right. I would really have them document what that fee consists of, line by line to see if it makes sense, like maybe they are including your registrations and plates, etc. Doc fees are negotiable. The last doc fee I paid for a new car out of PA was $141.00 two years ago.
Florida is a very dealer friendly state. They are not allowed to discount/change the doc fee for different customers since it is written into their statutes (to at least interpreted so) so the average doc fee is very high. It is not worth even trying to question/negotiate it down there.

Like anywhere, the entire deal should be looked at when comparing not just certain parts. Hopefully some will give an additional discount to try and make up for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
Osheatwo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2023 BMW 330E  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Florida is a very dealer friendly state. They are not allowed to discount/change the doc fee for different customers since it is written into their statutes (to at least interpreted so) so the average doc fee is very high. It is not worth even trying to question/negotiate it down there.

Like anywhere, the entire deal should be looked at when comparing not just certain parts. Hopefully some will give an additional discount to try and make up for it.
Turtle you are spot on. Legally dealers must show the same Doc fee for each deal or they can put their license at risk. Dealers do set the rate, but once set, it has to show the same on each bill of sale. In most cases, including me, I negotiate it out of my deals which they take off the price of car. You can negotiate it, but keep in mind it will still show on the paperwork. Just need to make sure they deduct it from the sale price.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post

Right you are, its the final price that counts.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 12:50 AM   #10
sfobimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2012 323i

OP, how did you do a custom order on Autonation? I don’t see the option to do that.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfobimmer View Post
OP, how did you do a custom order on Autonation? I don’t see the option to do that.
Yo just ask your store if they have a modifiable allocation and confirm the production week. You look at the ordering guide and build the car how you want.

The price / discount is up to you to decíde.

Store may say they want xxxx for a deposit or want to run a credit app.
Appreciate 0