BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-21-2020, 05:06 AM   #1
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Energy Flow Charging Battery Screen in a Non-hybrid

I searched the forums and read the manual, but am still somewhat puzzled by the presence of a "CHARGE: charging battery" screen in our 2020 40i. It is a US spec X-5 delivered in Germany and we picked it up during the partial lock down over here, so the, delivery presentation was nil.

I noted this screen, but am not sure if it should really be present in our X5. Interestingly, I cannot find the ability to change the wake word change prompt and can't get our Connected Drive to work consistently. Granted, we are US spec in Europe, but others have had success, with latter. I am not sure why I can't find that wake word prompt though.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:11 AM   #2
GeniusAdam
BMW Genius
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW

It just shows you when the car is charging its battery (a normal car battery). It is not some high-voltage battery as in PHEV.
It is part of the BMW EfficientDynamics portfolio.

Brake energy regeneration
Using technology developed in Formula One racing, this feature harnesses the energy that’s usually lost when you brake. The system converts it to electrical energy which charges your battery instead, meaning the engine does less work and uses less fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:17 AM   #3
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

That's energy regeneration used in most of the cars now a days. Whenever you break energy is regenerated and car battery is charged.
You will also notice it shows up in instrument cluster as blue battery symbol with a gauge when you switch on fuel consumption gauge using BC button
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 06:16 AM   #4
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Thank you for the insight! The X5 is my wife's and my daily is a bit more "analog". I will inquire with the dealer as to why she appears to be missing the "wake word" change menu. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
That's energy regeneration used in most of the cars now a days. Whenever you break energy is regenerated and car battery is charged.
You will also notice it shows up in instrument cluster as blue battery symbol with a gauge when you switch on fuel consumption gauge using BC button
I think it is a bit different since you don't need to be braking for it to charge, it also does it when coasting and decelerating. The alternator is decoupled from the drive train during acceleration to be more efficient.

https://www.autobytel.com/car-owners...ration-123423/
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00