BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #23
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Just take the M brakes if you think they look beter. That's what I did. Same for the laser lights and M pack.

Ventilated seats add comfort for me, no more sweatty shirts while driving. But you don't feel the cold air as mentioned earlier here. I do think the Merino seats look better without the perforations. Massage is nice but I could live without. I am happy with the comfort of the seats.

Parking sensors and other options: typical in German cars. With Porsche it is even worse. But 360 parking is a really good option to have
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #24
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I know - "brake lock" is a convenient shorthand way of saying the brakes are powerful enough to easily and successfully stop the vehicle. That is, if the brakes are too weak (due to design, materials, mechanicals, etc) to lock up the wheels then they may not be able to effectively stop the car.

That's why the question is, are the brakes powerful enough to lock the rotor - it's not actually being locked that's important, it's being powerful enough to nearly instantly be able to lock them up. Once that's possible the stopping distance question moves to grip.
You haven't justified the bolded assertion, and I in fact gave a counterexample to it, which you're ignoring.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #25
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Arctic Grey Metallic with Coffee Vernasca and shadowline – thoughts?

NO VERNASCA if I order custom car. Merino leather is much much better.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2020, 08:42 PM   #26
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

I really appreciate everyone's comments so far. One of the draws to BMW for me is the community sense and genuine interest in driving experience from members.

I haven't heard anyone advise against ventilation so I will probably get it and know, going in, that it will not function similar to my GS. Once more then I'll stop as this IS a BMW forum, the ventilation in my GS is terrific.

I'm probably going to stick with base brakes. I like the M aesthetic but without a functional benefit (and potentially more dust), I don't feel strongly. Game time decision. BTW no interest in taking a plug-in X5 to the track but a little curiosity on what it would be like.

Several have commented on Merino over Vernasca - seems an upgrade worth making.

I'm going with the 20's. No room in the garage to store a second set. Some day I'll have a bigger garage so I can play around with performance tires (while keeping a winter set) and maybe get the M2 convertible I dream about for weekend fun...

Ok OK - no tinting!

Thanks again for your time in responding. You've been helpful. I'll post some pics but, from what I understand, this is going to be a while.
Appreciate 2
robby818265.00
X5 45e1090.50
      09-22-2020, 09:25 PM   #27
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
So, the only package I didn't order was Drivers Assistance Pro, because I hate all the driving nannies, so I didn't spec. .
I hope you have a chance to try out the Driver Assistance Pro package someday. It is remarkable and reduces the fatigue from highway driving, especially in traffic. It's crazy how good it is at keeping pace with traffic even in challenging situations. I have the previous generation system in my 540i and it is always a step behind what's happening around me. It waits too long to accelerate, you have to tap the accelerator if you come to a stop in traffic, it accelerates too fast and brakes too late. The system in the X5 is so much better that most of my highway driving is done with it on.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #28
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
Quote:
So, the only package I didn't order was Drivers Assistance Pro, because I hate all the driving nannies, so I didn't spec. .
I hope you have a chance to try out the Driver Assistance Pro package someday. It is remarkable and reduces the fatigue from highway driving, especially in traffic. It's crazy how good it is at keeping pace with traffic even in challenging situations. I have the previous generation system in my 540i and it is always a step behind what's happening around me. It waits too long to accelerate, you have to tap the accelerator if you come to a stop in traffic, it accelerates too fast and brakes too late. The system in the X5 is so much better that most of my highway driving is done with it on.
I have the ACC on my G01, and it is very nice. I didn't like that they removed that as a stand alone option, forcing the package. I know I could turn off what I don't want to use, but again, they should have left ACC as a stand alone option. I also don't take more than one long road trip a year, so the benefit is sort of lost on me. I didn't spec the nanny aids on my Cayenne either, of course they were all typical Porsche mark up.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #29
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
So, the only package I didn't order was Drivers Assistance Pro, because I hate all the driving nannies, so I didn't spec.
Quote:
I hope you have a chance to try out the Driver Assistance Pro package someday. It is remarkable and reduces the fatigue from highway driving, especially in traffic.
+1

Driving assistance Pro is not about "driving nannies" at all. It is semi-autonomous driving in the highway and traffic jam. It really makes the driving so much more relaxing - so much so that when I am not in a hurry, I don't get frustrated by traffic jam any more. I can just relax and enjoy the music.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #30
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighStEclaire View Post
Several have commented on Merino over Vernasca - seems an upgrade worth making.
When I went to order my 45e, I checked out all three at the dealership. In my opinion Vernasca felt almost exactly the same as Sensatec plus the more interesting color options and being able to add ventilation/massage. Merino on the other hand was totally different and felt exquisite. Easily worth the extra $1k if you are already paying for Vernasca. I personally went with Sensatec because my two little kids will probably destroy the back seat and Sensatec is the hardest (and most durable feeling) material but I would have spent the extra money for Merino if my kids were older...
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      09-23-2020, 02:26 AM   #31
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
You haven't justified the bolded assertion, and I in fact gave a counterexample to it, which you're ignoring.
In fact, with ABS, brakes will fully lock first, then the ABS kicks in and unlocks them for a few milliseconds before having them fully lock again (rinse, repeat from here). Thus, your "counterexample" has been nullified.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      09-23-2020, 03:06 AM   #32
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
In fact, with ABS, brakes will fully lock first, then the ABS kicks in and unlocks them for a few milliseconds before having them fully lock again (rinse, repeat from here). Thus, your "counterexample" has been nullified.
+1 and the performance metric would be the time from pedal-to-the-floor to ABS kicking in (and, of course, the ability of ABS to bring the car to a stop before the brakes lose the ability to lock). If you did 100 emergency stops in a row, the ///M brakes would eventually outperform the standards ... but it'd take awhile.

So probably the most important practical thing about the ///M brakes besides the looks is the brake feel - they always just feel better to me. If they came with the x-line I'd get them for sure for those reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #33
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure what you think has been nullified - that was clearly part of the counterexample.

While all of that locking and unlocking is happening, the reason you stop is because brakes/rotors (and to lesser degree tires) heat up. If they didn't heat up, you would not stop.

If your locking and unlocking is happening due to a pin, only a tiny area of the rotors will heat up much more slowly, and it will take far longer for you to stop. I'm guessing you'll actually disperse more heat at the tire in that scenario, but then sliding friction is lower so you'll stop a lot later.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #34
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure what you think has been nullified - that was clearly part of the counterexample.

While all of that locking and unlocking is happening, the reason you stop is because brakes/rotors (and to lesser degree tires) heat up. If they didn't heat up, you would not stop.

If your locking and unlocking is happening due to a pin, only a tiny area of the rotors will heat up much more slowly, and it will take far longer for you to stop. I'm guessing you'll actually disperse more heat at the tire in that scenario, but then sliding friction is lower so you'll stop a lot later.
The reason the car stops is friction which generates heath. It is not the heat it self stopping the car? But no friction no heath no stop.

If you are theoretically driving in an minus 100 Celsius environment the brakes will heat up too but will have much lower temperatures but the car will still stop.

Or do you mean locking by friction of a pin without going through?

I know your example is theoretic but if you lock the brakes with a pin there is an immediate stop by endless friction. But no heat in the brake the transition is so short. Probably the pin will fail and your cerebellum will switch positions with your frontal lobes but that is another discussion.

Sorry changed heat not heath Caramel A lot of heath would be needed to stop the car 😂. Thanks just remembered your post. Think I did it wrong is some others posts too.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #35
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
So, the only package I didn't order was Drivers Assistance Pro, because I hate all the driving nannies, so I didn't spec.
Quote:
I hope you have a chance to try out the Driver Assistance Pro package someday. It is remarkable and reduces the fatigue from highway driving, especially in traffic.
+1

Driving assistance Pro is not about "driving nannies" at all. It is semi-autonomous driving in the highway and traffic jam. It really makes the driving so much more relaxing - so much so that when I am not in a hurry, I don't get frustrated by traffic jam any more. I can just relax and enjoy the music.
I have ACC on my G01, it is nice but not essential. I don't like the lane centering features (had them in my Audi S6) and I have always stopped quicker than the emergency braking features. I know I can turn off the items I don't like, but why make me order a package I don't want, just to get ACC, which was a stand alone option on the '18-'19 G01 and '19 G05? Lastly, as said on a previous post, I usually only take one long driving trip per year (2400 miles +) and don't have a commute, 97% of my driving is around town and less than 10 miles.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #36
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
The reason the car stops is friction which generates heath. It is not the heat it self stopping the car? But no friction no heath no stop.

If you are theoretically driving in an minus 100 Celsius environment the brakes will heat up too but will have much lower temperatures but the car will still stop.

Or do you mean locking by friction of a pin without going through?

I know your example is theoretic but if you lock the brakes with a pin there is an immediate stop by endless friction. But no heat in the brake the transition is so short. Probably the pin will fail and your cerebellum will switch positions with your frontal lobes but that is another discussion.

Sorry changed heat not heath Caramel A lot of heath would be needed to stop the car 😂. Thanks just remembered your post. Think I did it wrong is some others posts too.
Friction is the process that converts kinetic energy to heat (and at the tires transfers momentum from car to earth) and it's very good at doing that. There are other ways to generate heat, e.g. elastic deformations, or you could convert the kinetic energy to other types of energy - e.g. have inelastic deformations (hitting a wall), or convert the energy to electric energy instead of heat which is what hybrids do, or go up a ramp and convert it to potential energy.

I am talking about a literal pin through the rotors, which will immediately stop them from turning. The car however would not stop, because there is finite friction at the tires, and you'll immediately start sliding. At that point ABS would kick in, release the pin, you'll roll for a brief moment, then lock again and start sliding again. Eventually this will lead to a stop, with the kinetic energy becoming heat at the tires, and at the pin and the contact spot with the rotors (due to slight elastic deformations back and forth as you do it, assuming a pin that doesn't break and only flexes a little). This process will be far less efficient at converting the kinetic energy to heat, and you will stop slower.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #37
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
I do suspect I’ll be custom ordering as there’s 1-2 base 45e’s per dealership around me and they all seem to be in white.
I went custom for my X5 45e. I just received it last Saturday. It was only about a 3 week wait from when I made a $1,000 deposit till I received delivery in Florida.

Quote:
1) SEATS:
I got the luxury seating package. I think the seats look way better and the ventilation design from BMW works great in Florida hot September weather so far. I have another car with AC seats that pushes air, so I recognize the difference. BMW seats are fine.

Quote:
2) WHEELS: I love the 21 inch wheels but they come with performance tires.
I got the 21 inch Y spoke wheels. They look great on the BMW, way better than the standard wheels. But I also live in Florida, so I have no idea about "winter tires".

Quote:
3) BRAKES: I considered the Msport brakes for stopping power, reasoning that the PHEV has a bit more heft to bring to a stop. But I’ve read that the standard brakes are more than sufficient.
Regular brakes work fine. Remember also, with an EV or PHEV, there is also regen braking to capture energy. You really don't need to use the brakes much. Regen plus regular brakes = high performance brakes on a regular car.

Quote:
4) PARKING SENSORS: Can I really spec out an $81,000 car and still have to get the $800 parking assist package to get parking radar? My kid’s Little Tikes Cozy Coupe has this function standard (sarcasm). Is this just one of those Bimmer-isms where they give you a jet engine standard but ask you to fork out extra for the mirrors?
It is worth it. I have so many cameras on mine it is insane. The screens and alerts are off the chart excellent. Way better than my 2018 SUVs, which were also maxed out for that year.

Quote:
JUST FOR FUN: thinking Arctic Grey Metallic with Coffee Vernasca and shadowline – thoughts? Too bad no Tanzanite on this trim.
I was going to do the Blue color, but my wife said BMWs need to be black. So I got Black Sapphire Metallic and the Cognac color on the seats.

Premium Package (I didn't think Executive Package was worth it)
Luxury Seating Package 2
Drivers Assistance Pro Pkg
Parking Assistance Package
21 inch Y wheels (non M)

Final build price was $75,600
I was able to negotiate a $5,800 discount off of MSRP (about 8%)
Also the $7,500 tax credit.

Also, I looked at it this way.
1) The X Drive AWD option is $2,300 on a normal X5
2) The PHEV system is $3,700
So those two items = +$6,000 versus a normal X5.

So the $7,500 tax credit actually more than pays for itself.
You get a much higher quality X5 with much better fuel efficiency.

Nobody should be ordering a 2021 X5 sDrive40i or xDrive40i as long as that tax credit is available. It just doesn't make any financial sense.

I have about 200 miles on my X5 45e so far this week.
I am getting a solid 35-40 miles of EV range so far. I got 44 EV miles yesterday.

Pro Tip: I you use the feature "Departure Time Recharging" to schedule the recharge to finish when you expect to depart in the morning, you will get an extra 2-3 miles out of it. Leaving right when it finishes, there is an extra 3% to 5% in the battery pack. If it recharges overnight, then is waiting a few hours for you, the pack voltage settles down.

Last edited by RocketGoBoom; 09-23-2020 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 4
GrussGott18116.50
FLYIN'199.50
X5 45e1090.50
      09-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #38
popper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 45e 2021

First time post-picked up 45e Arctic Grey with Coffee V, M sport brakes plus other add ons and 20" standard wheels yesterday due to weather where I live; best advise besides buying BMW is go to Spartanburg for Performance Delivery; took wife who had little interest in trip and after stand on brakes at 60 mph in a corner with an absolute hilarious professional driver walking her thru the process, she has not stopped telling the family about Performance Delivery including track driving and 360's; by the way, she loves parking assist with the 3D backup function; I also bought new Lexus GS350 in 2013 and loved it; just transferred it to daughter; the X5 is a totally different level of driving experience; get every option you can afford is my take!
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #39
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom View Post
Leaving right when it finishes, there is an extra 3% to 5% in the battery pack. If it recharges overnight, then is waiting a few hours for you, the pack voltage settles down.
Nice review and good range. Enjoy the new car.

I think the reason why using the timer gives extra range is because the pre conditioned battery is more efficient and the car is heated or cooled before leaving and the battery is charged back to 100%. So it doesn't need that extra energy to heat or cool the car after unplugging and starting to drive.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      09-29-2020, 12:20 AM   #40
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, at the same air pressure, a taller/wider tire will have the same footprint as a smaller, narrower one but the footprint will be oriented differently. So, a wider tire does not have a bigger, total contact area. A smaller/narrower tire will have potentially better traction for acceleration/stopping versus cornering because of that orientation. Throw in the fact the larger tire has a shorter sidewall, and the distortion in theory would be less, that helps even more with the cornering. This assumes the same tread compound and shape. Changing the compound or the tread shape/blocks can have a big difference, so you need to compare apples to apples.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #41
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice (and the detailed brake digression). Order for Phytonic blue 45e without M brakes but with Merino leather has been placed. Though seemingly resolved for new builds, the battery business was concerning for future issues but for my situation and lack of midsize PHEV SUV options, I'm at peace.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      11-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #42
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

My 2 cents on the Merino leather, it is awesome in look and feel but beware of the wear over time, if you lease great but if you plan to keep the car a long time, the leather scratch easily and will not age as nicely over long period of time. I think everybody loves it when it is new. all depends how carefull you are with your car I guess, but with kids merino may not be the best choice correct me if I'm wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 04:53 AM   #43
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
My 2 cents on the Merino leather, it is awesome in look and feel but beware of the wear over time, if you lease great but if you plan to keep the car a long time, the leather scratch easily and will not age as nicely over long period of time. I think everybody loves it when it is new. all depends how carefull you are with your car I guess, but with kids merino may not be the best choice correct me if I'm wrong
Appreciate the warning and I'll try to comment in time. One kid and we are pretty low mileage; I live 5 min from work and daycare. I take care of stuff (suspect the personality that gets on these forums selects for that) so willing to put in the work to keep it taken care of. And, honestly, if I sell it in five years and value drops a bit because the leather is worn but I personally loved it the whole time, I can tolerate that cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:17 PM   #44
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep

Well I'm about 500 miles into my X5 45e and I absolutely love this car. Phytonic blue with poplar matte wood, m sport body/wheel, executive, black merino with message seats, park distance. Really could not be happier with the look of this car.

Ride is terrific. I love the air suspension, particularly cruising over the local cobblestone streets. While this is certainly not a sports car, I don't think cornering is half bad and the instant full torque from electric is awesome. This car has more power than I will ever need on public roads.

Getting 56mpg last I checked. I still have not installed a level two charger so that mpg is just based on whatever charge I can get out of a level 1 wall plug - not bad (takes over 16 hours to fully charge from empty). Planning to get a level 2 installed soon.

Biggest gripe is that the car gets very confused when my wife is in the car with her phone as well. One can set priority of phones but if I am using BMW nav and she puts something into her phones nav, the x5 CarPlay starts giving her phones directions. Not a huge deal by any stretch. Second biggest gripe is that the sound system is definitely NOT stellar. Third biggest gripe are the minor downgrades this model year (no glass on volume knob, no night vision)

If you're considering this car, go get one. Sporty for the size/weight/type, ride is insanely comfortable, tech is top notch. Thanks to all above who helped me figure this out.
Appreciate 0