BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

X5 got rear-ended

Hey all,

My 2019 X5 got rear-ended yesterday at an intersection. I believe it was just the rear bumper and the bottom part of the trunk (the one that can extract out).

After the policy came and filed everything. I could not start my car so I called BMW assist and got a tow. Then while i was waiting, I tried again and it's fine so i drove home.

Any recommendation or things to be aware of when I send to a show? Also, BMW assist was going to send my car to a collision center instead of the dealership. Should I just take it to the dealership? I am concerned with the electrical issues since I was not able to start it first.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinandwhat View Post
Hey all,

My 2019 X5 got rear-ended yesterday at an intersection. I believe it was just the rear bumper and the bottom part of the trunk (the one that can extract out).

After the policy came and filed everything. I could not start my car so I called BMW assist and got a tow. Then while i was waiting, I tried again and it's fine so i drove home.

Any recommendation or things to be aware of when I send to a show?
Obviously download drive recorder, take lots of pictures, go back and take pictures of the intersection if you didn't already (ideally you got a lot of pictures of the accident scene and the other car and positioning). You're going to want to ask your insurance company about being compensated for loss of value (by the other person's insurance) given your vehicle was now in an accident.

As for where to take it, first do your research on BMW collision centers and find one with good reviews; I have one I use and they're excellent - they know more about BMWs than the dealership easily. You'll want to call them, explain the situation, and ensure they can diagnose everything that's wrong, including with the electronics. Ideally interview a few - go with one that's the best. They may or may not need the dealership's / BMWNA's input. Ideally you want them to project manage it and provide an estimate as you don't want to have multiple vendors to pay (and may not be able to). Once you pick a vendor, double check with your insurance company that everything is good to go, go over for the estimate, re-check with insurance the estimate is good to go, then drop off the car. Sync up periodically with both the collision center and insurance to ensure everything is on track.

I'm hearing about so many of these, i'm thinking of buying this thing:

Not sure how it would fair in an accident or if it'd be worse, but emotionally it seems wonderful.
Appreciate 0