BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
eightd2
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

OEM Valve Stem Caps

I drive a 2019 X5. The other day I received a warning regarding tire air pressure was low. This is typical as the temperatures drop. Several months ago I replaced the stock plain silver plastic valve stem caps with OEM BMW caps. They are plastic too. Unfortunately I could not remove two of the caps by hand and had to carefully remove them with pliers. Needless to say the plastic cracked and were unusable. I read the metal caps fuse to the stem, but has anyone experienced this with the plastic caps? Any solution? My wife has the same caps on her X3 and hers are stuck as well.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Plastic caps should be easily removable - you may want to verify yours are indeed plastic, because dissimilar metals can fuse by friction galling. And assuming they aren't honked on with a torque wrench - finger-tight is sufficient. Where did you get your caps? I've seen several on Amazon advertised as "OEM" that were in fact aluminum, made in China.

Last edited by Paladin1; 09-24-2020 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
eightd2
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I would have thought they were metal as well based on the difficulty in removing them, but they are in fact plastic bought from the dealer. Very odd indeed!
Appreciate 0