BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #23
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

HK is miles better than the standard audio system. I have owned the G05 w and w/o HK. In other BMWs the standard system isn't bad but in the G05, the standard audio is awful.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Suspension selection is purely subjective - select the one for your needs. Some owners who've opted for Air Suspension notice a "floaty" sensation when driving in Comfort and selecting Sport (lowering the suspension) doesn't reduce that sensation enough for them. Ideally you'll want to drive one with and without air suspension.

The outline is purely subjective based on my driving and I think I'm saying the same as the use case outlined above. Not particular clear on what your expectations are for the ride and handling of your X5.

If your priority is a sport ride and handling then stick with Adaptive M suspension. If you like comfortable ride with ride height versatility then go with air - air gives up a small amount of handling due to air springs and struts don't react as fast standard steel springs and struts.
Ah I C, make sense.

let me see if I can test drive both.

Right now I have added Air Suspension based on the threads I have seen in the forum but never drove the car with either Adaptive M or Air Suspension. My last two X5 were Luxary and Xline. M-sport will be the first model in Dec.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #25
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
Ah I C, make sense.

let me see if I can test drive both.

Right now I have added Air Suspension based on the threads I have seen in the forum but never drove the car with either Adaptive M or Air Suspension. My last two X5 were Luxary and Xline. M-sport will be the first model in Dec.
This probably won't help, but I found it interesting on the air suspension: It's not my favorite review, but at 8:45 this guy hits a major bump that throws him up off the seat and the X5 looks like it barely moves

Appreciate 1
Auricom4349.50
      09-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #26
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
This probably won't help, but I found it interesting on the air suspension: It's not my favorite review, but at 8:45 this guy hits a major bump that throws him up off the seat and the X5 looks like it barely moves

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #27
Chris-lsd
Rep
Drives: i3s,X5 45e

Can you set up the air suspension to automatically lower when you turn off and exit the car? Can't find any mention in the manual.
Appreciate 1
GuyOh1064.00
      09-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #28
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:

Wow that guy cleared few inches easily, or it looked like that. I am not sure if that's air or not, we do have some bad bumps like that but I never felt airborne in any of these.

BMW suspension has always been harsh, and I want some flexibility even if it means it will never be as sporty as it should, although lowering it enough will gain some stability while possibly adding some body roll..
      09-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-lsd View Post
Can you set up the air suspension to automatically lower when you turn off and exit the car? Can't find any mention in the manual.
No, unfortunately not possible yet. Hopefully it will be something that can be done in the future either standard or coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #30
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-lsd View Post
The only way I have found is you manually lower the car and then disable the system by pulling on the rocker switch for 7 seconds and then letting go, the light will go off.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #31
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
The configurations right now sucks uber balls. You cant even have tanzanite blue with the base x5.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:28 AM   #32
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So what's the verdict, get the air suspension $1k or not?
I am going for Premium Package instead of Convenience, so HK will come with that. But I am still on the fence about 2-axle air suspension. I am getting 20" rims, so I don't want to get harsh ride, hoping air suspension helps, but I also don't want it too rocky, especially when hitting brakes or accelerating, will it lean forward and back during those?

I can't test drive one with 2-Axle suspensions, there is non in the area.. This reminds me of 6 years ago when I was trying to find X5 with 4 wheel active steering, non of the dealers had them.
      09-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I am going for Premium Package instead of Convenience, so HK will come with that. But I am still on the fence about 2-axle air suspension. I am getting 20" rims, so I don't want to get harsh ride, hoping air suspension helps, but I also don't want it too rocky, especially when hitting brakes or accelerating, will it lean forward and back during those?

I can't test drive one with 2-Axle suspensions, there is non in the area.. This reminds me of 6 years ago when I was trying to find X5 with 4 wheel active steering, non of the dealers had them.

Get the air suspension. That is no rocking when braking or accelerating. I don't have any floaty feeling with mine but of course that is all based on personal experience and preference.
Appreciate 2
MystroX56243.00
      09-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #34
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Why not go with M-Sport w/$150 Air Suspension?
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #35
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Get the air suspension. That is no rocking when braking or accelerating. I don't have any floaty feeling with mine but of course that is all based on personal experience and preference.

Thank you, you have x-Line with Air, right?
      09-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #36
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
Why not go with M-Sport w/$150 Air Suspension?
Because it's $5750 + $150 = $5900. vs $1000.
      09-25-2020, 06:58 PM   #37
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, you have x-Line with Air, right?
Yes, that is correct. As far as handling goes, the xLine with air and MSport with air will be the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #38
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, that is correct. As far as handling goes, the xLine with air and MSport with air will be the same.
I went with x-line only because of looks, though my concern with air suspension is roll going around corners fast - i've gotten really used to not having that and every time I'd get rental cars the roll would scare the shit outta me.

Hopefully this is where you assure me that's not the case
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #39
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I went with x-line only because of looks, though my concern with air suspension is roll going around corners fast - i've gotten really used to not having that and every time I'd get rental cars the roll would scare the shit outta me.

I have never experienced that but then again I can say I have never experienced that in any vehicle that I can remember. Perhaps I either don't go that fast around corners or never had a vehicle that didn't and I'm used to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #40
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ugh, does it roll more? I loved taking corners faster with my F15, it was planted! Although E70 with wider tires was actually better, and with stiffer suspension for sure. F15 made things softer to add "comfort and luxury feel", but it still was stable. I am worried G05 is already softer without air suspension and don't want to make it any softer. I just want the air suspension for going over bumps and when I don't just want to enjoy long drives without road fatigue.

I understand we cannot have it both, take curves fast and have comfort. Can we lower it while driving or code it to lower when we switch it to sport or M/S mode? Would lowering give you more stability, since technically it will be lower than standard suspension in it's lower position?
      09-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #41
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

^ The suspension automatically lowers when you are in Sport or M/S mode. You can also set it to be lowered in Comfort and Adaptive modes, not sure about Eco mode as I don't use it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #42
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can we lower it while driving or code it to lower when we switch it to sport or M/S mode? Would lowering give you more stability, since technically it will be lower than standard suspension in it's lower position?
My understanding is no to lowering and/or coding to lower - i'm hoping someone with M-car experience and Air Suspension experience will give us a comparison....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #43
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^ The suspension automatically lowers when you are in Sport or M/S mode. You can also set it to be lowered in Comfort and Adaptive modes, not sure about Eco mode as I don't use it.
I thought that was only for mSport adaptive suspension. Does it do the same thing with "2-axle" suspension too? I think there is a bit of a confusion (at least on my end). There is also "air suspension" with the 3-row option, and it says "self leveling" adaptive 2-axle air suspension improves comfort, agility and stability. But in just "2-axle air" option, it simply says "increase response and comfort" but it does confirm that it adjusts depending on vehicle speed and driving mode.

I tried to find videos explaining these, but the usual BMW is missing specific option videos again.

Last edited by hyde; 09-25-2020 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #44
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
I thought that was only for mSport adaptive suspension. Does it do the same thing with "2-axle" suspension too? I think there is a bit of a confusion (at least on my end). There is also "air suspension" with the 3-row option, and it says "self leveling" adaptive 2-axle air suspension improves comfort, agility and stability. But in just "2-axle air" option, it simply says "increase response and comfort" but it does confirm that it adjusts depending on vehicle speed and driving mode.

I tried to find videos explaining these, but the usual BMW is missing specific option videos again.

While we are at it, does any X5 in the US get the reverse assistant (I forgot what it's called) that remembers last x feet of driving to back out automatically by itself? Or did they get rid of that in the USA, like how I don't see soft close doors or active steering or black or light headliner options.
There is just one air suspension system.

Raising and lowering the car is only with AS not with M adaptive suspension (professional). There is an error in the US configurator (other thread). Adaptive changes the behaviour of the dampers not the height of it.

AS lowers the car to level L2 when switched to driving mode sport. Not with switching the gear M/S. I think it also lowers automatically above 130 mph, more a autobahn thing.

The car can be set to L2 manually with the switch in all drive modes. It will make it more stable in corners but also a bit more bumpy on bad roads.

It does a good job but it is a heavy SUV and it will never corner like an M3.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00