timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchese View Post
Hi,

I got speakers set with RAM and Booster from a car with Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound system, which I would like to install in my car.
The old stereo is standard hifi with 6 speakers.
I noted that some cables are missing (at least the one in the center console) but I am not sure about the rest (doors and D-pillar).
Do you know if the existing cables would allow installing the Bowers system?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...tem/1VneI7rxrK
If I had to guess, you are likely missing a lot of wires. BMW isn't known for having one harness for a model regardless of the build/spec. May be too dramatic, but it would seem like a full removal of seats, carpet, door panels, and a/b/c/d pillar covers would be in order.
      08-17-2020, 12:04 AM   #24
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
have the HK system in the F15, have the B&W in the g05. Once you hear the B&W, its hard to go back. i don't even feel like listening to music in the F15 anymore. And I don't feel like listening to podcasts/radio in the g05. The B&W system is that good. even car reviewers rave about how good it is. It's expensive, and if you're a casual listener, just go with the HK system. I, however, love music, and it relaxes me and I doubt I'll never have another BMW without the B&W system in it
I agree with this. I bought the B&W system after dealing with multiple years of HK in prior BMWs. A car this expensive really should not have a sound system as embarrassing as the HK. SavageGeese on YouTube does in-depth audiographs on all cars he reviews and he thinks the B&W should be standard on BMWs because the HK's range and clarity (even the upgraded package) leave a lot to be desired, especially compared to cars half the price. I don't know how people can survive long trips without a good sound system. I listened to music on the B&W and I passed my exit after three hours on the highway because it only felt like an hour with all the fun I was having.

The good news is that BAVSound is there for people unfortunate enough to have the HK system. I haven't had the experience with it but anything is better than the HK. I can say for a fact that out of the six cars we have in the garage the HK system sounds the worst.

Last edited by superkrups20056; 08-18-2020 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      08-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #25
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkrups20056 View Post
The good news is that BAVSound is there for people unfortunate enough to have the HK system. I haven't had the experience with it but anything is better than the HK. I can say for a fact that out of the six cars we have in the garage the HK system sounds the worse.
the HK system really isn't "bad". its perfectly adequate, until you hear the B&W system and your jaw drops. THEN you can't go back to the HK system. and I agree, for a vehicle at this price, it would come standard with the B&W system. there are so many cool features, this should be the 'standard' sound system.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #26
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkrups20056 View Post
Quote:
have the HK system in the F15, have the B&W in the g05. Once you hear the B&W, its hard to go back. i don't even feel like listening to music in the F15 anymore. And I don't feel like listening to podcasts/radio in the g05. The B&W system is that good. even car reviewers rave about how good it is. It's expensive, and if you're a casual listener, just go with the HK system. I, however, love music, and it relaxes me and I doubt I'll never have another BMW without the B&W system in it
I agree with this. I bought the B&W system after dealing with multiple years of HK in prior BMWs. A car this expensive really should not have a sound system as embarrassing as the HK. SavageGeese on YouTube does in depth soundgraphs on all cars he reviews and he thinks the B&W should be standard on BMWs because the HK's range and clarity (even the upgraded package) leave a lot to be desired, especially compared to cars half the price. I don't know how people can survive long trips without a good sound system. I listened to music on the B&W and I passed my exit after three hours on the highway because it only has felt like an hour with all the fun I was having.

The good news is that BAVSound is there for people unfortunate enough to have the HK system. I haven't had the experience with it but anything is better than the HK. I can say for a fact that out of the six cars we have in the garage the HK system sounds the worse.
You guys do realize that HK makes more than one system and that all of them don't sound exactly the same in every single model of car it's installed in, right? When you say B&W or death, are you comparing the (so called) upgraded G05 X5 HK and B&W in same configured model, same driving conditions, same EQ, same source, and same content? Cause that's a hard test to do and while I am sure B&W is great, it's far from free and it is a car, one of the worst listening environments possible — there is such a thing as diminishing returns.
parkstr8562.00
GrussGott18114.50
      08-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #27
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
You guys do realize that HK makes more than one system and that all of them don't sound exactly the same in every single model of car it's installed in, right? When you say B&W or death, are you comparing the (so called) upgraded G05 X5 HK and B&W in same configured model, same driving conditions, same EQ, same source, and same content? Cause that's a hard test to do and while I am sure B&W is great, it's far from free and it is a car, one of the worst listening environments possible — there is such a thing as diminishing returns.
the B&W has almost 3 times the amount of wattage as the HK system. You definitely notice having more power to move more air, that's just physics. You can make any rationalizations that you want to make it seem like there are diminishing returns, but there isn't. It's not close lol. No one is saying that the B&W system is studio accurate. Of course the car is the least worst place to listen to music, but the B&W system does a lot to mask the harsh acoustical environment better than anything else I've heard to date. Ever. Is it worth it? It was to me. For me it's now "B&W or death" because I cant ever go back to the HK system. Many forum members here cant go back to a 40i after having had a M performance or M model. I've never driven a M variant so I don't know what Im missing (and Im perfectly happy about that).

we went to our local dealer a bunch of times when figuring out how to build our x5 to spec. At no point during any of those test drives did I ever think about the B&W system as a viable option. I was perfectly happy to get the HK system again, having been pleased with it in our F15. But the dealer was pressing us to buy a model off their lot, and only one had about 80% of the things we wanted, and some things we didnt, including the B&W system. It was at that point just for the fun of it I wanted the salesman to let me play something on the system to hear it and within 5 seconds I knew it was leagues better than the HK system, so much so that I went back to our spec sheet to put this option in.

You don't have to believe me. Go down to your local dealer and ask to hear it for yourself if you think we're exaggerating. the difference in the two audio systems is palpable, if you don't notice it, then you're going deaf and you have bigger problems to deal with. I would personally suggest that you don't, because if you at all care about music fidelity, you won't ever want to listen to the HK system again. Case in point: I now only listen to podcasts in my F15.

Last edited by thereef510; 08-17-2020 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #28
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
So what speakers did you end up getting? or what would you get?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #29
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
the B&W has almost 3 times the amount of wattage as the HK system. You definitely notice having more power to move more air, that's just physics. You can make any rationalizations that you want to make it seem like there are diminishing returns, but there isn't. It's not close lol. No one is saying that the B&W system is studio accurate. Of course the car is the least worst place to listen to music, but the B&W system does a lot to mask the harsh acoustical environment better than anything else I've heard to date. Ever. Is it worth it? It was to me. For me it's now "B&W or death" because I cant ever go back to the HK system. Many forum members here cant go back to a 40i after having had a M performance or M model. I've never driven a M variant so I don't know what Im missing (and Im perfectly happy about that).

we went to our local dealer a bunch of times when figuring out how to build our x5 to spec. At no point during any of those test drives did I ever think about the B&W system as a viable option. I was perfectly happy to get the HK system again, having been pleased with it in our F15. But the dealer was pressing us to buy a model off their lot, and only one had about 80% of the things we wanted, and some things we didnt, including the B&W system. It was at that point just for the fun of it I wanted the salesman to let me play something on the system to hear it and within 5 seconds I knew it was leagues better than the HK system, so much so that I went back to our spec sheet to put this option in.

You don't have to believe me. Go down to your local dealer and ask to hear it for yourself if you think we're exaggerating. the difference in the two audio systems is palpable, if you don't notice it, then you're going deaf and you have bigger problems to deal with. I would personally suggest that you don't, because if you at all care about music fidelity, you won't ever want to listen to the HK system again. Case in point: I now only listen to podcasts in my F15.
B&W or death it is then :-). I am sort of not at all interested in hearing it after your post, see (my) post #2 in this thread for reason :-).

Jokes aside, just came in from a 3 hour trip playing Connected Music built-in Spotify on my deficient stock HK system the whole way. Seemed pretty good, probably quite a bit better than just adequate, including bass. (I do occasionally find some mid bass muddy, but it seems to follow content).

But B&W or death next time ...
      08-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #30
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
B&W or death it is then :-). I am sort of not at all interested in hearing it after your post, see (my) post #2 in this thread for reason :-).

Jokes aside, just came in from a 3 hour trip playing Connected Music built-in Spotify on my deficient stock HK system the whole way. Seemed pretty good, probably quite a bit better than just adequate, including bass. (I do occasionally find some mid bass muddy, but it seems to follow content).

I think we're talking past each other here. I'm certainly not meaning to make fun of anyone who has the HK system or even make it seem like I am, I'm really not hoping I come off that way. As I said, the HK system is perfectly good, especially at moderate, conversational volumes. But I've seen a few threads here comparing the two sound system options and a lot more vitriol coming towards those who optioned the B&W system and then have been put in a position to justify its cost and whether its worth it or not. Like there's no way the B&W system could be that good and we're all overpraising it because we're all somehow suffering from buyers remorse but won't admit it.

But no one bats an eye when someone gets the 22" wheels or pays for the individual color, or even options the night vision system. it seems that those of us who got the B&W system, who cant stop praising it since we love it so much are constantly being put on the defensive when people here routinely spend thousands on aesthetic options but dont get leveled with that type of scrutiny.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #31
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I think we're talking past each other here. I'm certainly not meaning to make fun of anyone who has the HK system or even make it seem like I am, I'm really not hoping I come off that way. As I said, the HK system is perfectly good, especially at moderate, conversational volumes. But I've seen a few threads here comparing the two sound system options and a lot more vitriol coming towards those who optioned the B&W system and then have been put in a position to justify its cost and whether its worth it or not. but no one bats an eye when someone gets the 22" wheels or pays for the individual color, or even options the night vision system. it seems that those of us who got the B&W system, who cant stop praising it since we love it so much are constantly being put on the defensive when people here routinely spend thousands on aesthetic options but dont get leveled with that type of scrutiny.

I love how our g05 is optioned, I'm sure you love yours as well.
To be clear, I am not at all offended, I am enthused that you're passionate about the sound quality and that such quality is even possible in a car. I will certainly consider it much more seriously next time than I did this time. But you should read my post #2 to understand why I won't be voluntarily testing it before I am ready for the next car :-).
      08-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #32
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think we're talking past each other here. I'm certainly not meaning to make fun of anyone who has the HK system or even make it seem like I am, I'm really not hoping I come off that way. As I said, the HK system is perfectly good, especially at moderate, conversational volumes. But I've seen a few threads here comparing the two sound system options and a lot more vitriol coming towards those who optioned the B&W system and then have been put in a position to justify its cost and whether its worth it or not. Like there's no way the B&W system could be that good and we're all overpraising it because we're all somehow suffering from buyers remorse but won't admit it.

But no one bats an eye when someone gets the 22" wheels or pays for the individual color, or even options the night vision system. it seems that those of us who got the B&W system, who cant stop praising it since we love it so much are constantly being put on the defensive when people here routinely spend thousands on aesthetic options but dont get leveled with that type of scrutiny.
I wouldn't worry about them. I chose HK at first and thought B&W was overkill, but I downgraded my wheels to 20 and I contacted my dealer to put B&W instead. I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I love listening to music while I'm driving and very excited to hear how B&W will sound. I am a little worried about the bass performance though.. no one really talks about the B&W bass.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #33
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_xxxk View Post
I am a little worried about the bass performance though.. no one really talks about the B&W bass.
it's not earth shattering bass. It's very well balanced for most music sources, but if you're looking for trunk rattling bass that you can hear 4 cars over, this isn't that. The bass is very good; much, MUCH more pronounced than the HK system. it has a presence to it that the HK system doesn't (at least not once you listen to the two systems). I think it sounds great, especially if you're the driver or front passenger since the subwoofers are right under those seats.

could it be better? sure, but not by much. you definitely feel it in your chest. perhaps it could be *a bit more* punchy at louder volumes.

For instance today I took my F15 to get a car wash, and because of the pandemic, I rarely drive it. Today I decided to listen to music on my drive (the same playlist/songs I regularly listen to on my g05) and it was almost tinny in comparison to the g05. I just gave up and started listening to my podcasts.

In conclusion: the bass won't blow your skirt off. But combined with the mids, dsp and overall sound stage, is it up there with the best stock sound system you can get in any vehicle, at any price point? an emphatic yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:46 AM   #34
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
I am a little worried about the bass performance though.. no one really talks about the B&W bass.
it's not earth shattering bass. It's very well balanced for most music sources, but if you're looking for trunk rattling bass that you can hear 4 cars over, this isn't that. The bass is very good; much, MUCH more pronounced than the HK system. it has a presence to it that the HK system doesn't (at least not once you listen to the two systems). I think it sounds great, especially if you're the driver or front passenger since the subwoofers are right under those seats.

could it be better? sure, but not by much. you definitely feel it in your chest. perhaps it could be *a bit more* punchy at louder volumes.

For instance today I took my F15 to get a car wash, and because of the pandemic, I rarely drive it. Today I decided to listen to music on my drive (the same playlist/songs I regularly listen to on my g05) and it was almost tinny in comparison to the g05. I just gave up and started listening to my podcasts.

In conclusion: the bass won't blow your skirt off. But combined with the mids, dsp and overall sound stage, is it up there with the best stock sound system you can get in any vehicle, at any price point? an emphatic yes.
I also agrees that the bass is very balanced, it's clear and has details in it. Hotel California in hi-res sounds amazing, takes you away...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 05:02 AM   #35
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyghost View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I also agrees that the bass is very balanced, it's clear and has details in it. Hotel California in hi-res sounds amazing, takes you away...
The first album I listened to on my drive home after getting the truck was "hell freezes over". It certainly is a show stopper.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #36
produhktiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i First Edition

Garage List
2021 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2019 M850i  [0.00]
I am excited to hear the two Spotify B&W/BMW Playlists in the M50i. I have been auditioning the lists in my M850i and VERY interested in comparing the two B&W systems side-by-side! Next Thursday @ PCD, here I come!
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      08-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #37
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyghost View Post
This is one of my first music to play when I get it.. can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:52 PM   #38
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about them. I chose HK at first and thought B&W was overkill, but I downgraded my wheels to 20 and I contacted my dealer to put B&W instead. I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I love listening to music while I'm driving and very excited to hear how B&W will sound. I am a little worried about the bass performance though.. no one really talks about the B&W bass.
It's tight bass... Not 14" kickers in the trunk like you used to have in high school bass. If you're listening to a rap song with good bass it will sound very good. Won't shake your sunglasses off your face but still very very good.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      08-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #39
tomek777477
Tom
Poland
Rep
Drives: X6 G06

HK or B&W retrofit

Hi, is it possible to retrofit HK or B&W instead HiFi? Is it just about amplifier, speakers, woofers and coding or all wiring is also different?
      08-20-2020, 10:39 PM   #40
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Has anyone heard either the BAVsound or Focal speakers in the G05? I wonder how much they will improve the HK system, and possibly even bring the sound closer to the B&W option...
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18114.50
      08-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #41
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Has anyone heard either the BAVsound or Focal speakers in the G05? I wonder how much they will improve the HK system, and possibly even bring the sound closer to the B&W option...
What's the price like?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #42
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Price for what?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #43
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
What's the price like?
Bavsound replacement speakers for G05 HK is $897
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #44
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
To be clear, I am not at all offended, I am enthused that you're passionate about the sound quality and that such quality is even possible in a car. I will certainly consider it much more seriously next time than I did this time. But you should read my post #2 to understand why I won't be voluntarily testing it before I am ready for the next car :-).
+1 and there's a flip side to this: what are you used to listening to at home and what type of music and sources?

I've got a decent headphone setup with standalone dac and amp and stream CD quality and that sounds pretty damn good ... and there's pretty much no car audio system that's not a let down after that so for me the question is, is "not as good" different from "yeah, definitely not as good".

My point is, if your home speakers or headphones cost $2000 or more, and you've got the dac/amp to match, will any of these systems sounds similar? Probably not, so it makes the compromise question a little different.

Personally, I'm always going to get a little annoyed when there are things in a track I know I should be hearing and aren't.
Appreciate 0