BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-07-2020, 03:31 AM   #67
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

So... I know I'm in Europe with a US spec car... and generally my updates are sporadic, and my connections isn't always available. I keep "hoping" that one day, everything will just "work". Some things on my car work (weather updates, remote view, etc), but other things like traffic updates and remote start/lock/unlock from connected drive have never worked. It's a mixed bag.

I paid, got a receipt, got a confirmation email, and the app showed up on my I drive..... and I've enabled it to view on the HUD.

But nothing happens. Nothing at all. Nothing visual, nothing audible... just, nothing. The app is apparently "there".. it's just not running.

I've read some speculations on this thread about what particular "views" should be displayed on the idrive screen, versus the instrument panel, versus the HUD.... and I'm wondering what (if anything) I did wrong. Do the settings have to be a particular configuration for it to work?

Is there an audible sound when approaching a road warning?

I'm "hoping" that whenever I get my next update (Android Auto????).... that it will just suddenly "work", but I want to make absolutely sure I'm not missing something.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #68
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

What do you mean by “right click?” I couldn’t find the update service.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Alright, I couldn't wait...just went to the car and clicked APPS/Installed Apps/Right click...update services and viola. The Camera Info App added instantly to the list of the apps.

I think you should have a Valid Credit card on file when doing the update from the car to avoid problems. Mine was a Visa card registered to the account but, as mentioned by the others, I feel pity about the Amex users who are having hard time... stay safe!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #69
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
What do you mean by "right click?" I couldn't find the update service.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Alright, I couldn't wait...just went to the car and clicked APPS/Installed Apps/Right click...update services and viola. The Camera Info App added instantly to the list of the apps.

I think you should have a Valid Credit card on file when doing the update from the car to avoid problems. Mine was a Visa card registered to the account but, as mentioned by the others, I feel pity about the Amex users who are having hard time... stay safe!
Sorry it's the OPTION button on the right lower side of the dial. It should pop up a menu where you can select Update Services. I pretty much assumed it like a mouse with two lower buttons on its left and right.
      07-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #70
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
So... I know I'm in Europe with a US spec car... and generally my updates are sporadic, and my connections isn't always available. I keep "hoping" that one day, everything will just "work". Some things on my car work (weather updates, remote view, etc), but other things like traffic updates and remote start/lock/unlock from connected drive have never worked. It's a mixed bag.

I paid, got a receipt, got a confirmation email, and the app showed up on my I drive..... and I've enabled it to view on the HUD.

But nothing happens. Nothing at all. Nothing visual, nothing audible... just, nothing. The app is apparently "there".. it's just not running.

I've read some speculations on this thread about what particular "views" should be displayed on the idrive screen, versus the instrument panel, versus the HUD.... and I'm wondering what (if anything) I did wrong. Do the settings have to be a particular configuration for it to work?

I'm "hoping" that whenever I get my next update (Android Auto????).... that it will just suddenly "work", but I want to make absolutely sure I'm not missing something.
I don't think anyone in Europe is able to buy this.

You were able to buy it with your US account.

Wild guess, but probably there is no European data available so the app is working but has no local data.

I hope they will get it.

Would be nice to know if you have it functional that means it will soon be available for us to.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #71
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

Wild guess, but probably there is no European data available so the app is working but has no local data.

I hope they will get it.

Would be nice to know if you have it functional that means it will soon be available for us to.
You may be correct..... but that doesn't explain why I have European GPS, european weather, and the ability to remote view the cameras in my car from my phone. Obviously I have "some" features.... just not all.

I don't however, have the ability to "update apps and services" which I believe may be a critical function.

I've already written BMW, waiting to hear back. I even suggested that I may need a manual "push" update..... maybe that will make it work?

I understand my circumstances are different, and the end answer may simply be that it's not possible. Trying everything I can at this point though. At least with Android Auto I can use waze.... that will eliminate some of the burden. Waiting patiently for that one.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #72
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I hope they will get it.

You may be correct..... but that doesn't explain why I have European GPS, european weather, and the ability to remote view the cameras in my car from my phone. Obviously I have "some" features.... just not all.

I don't however, have the ability to "update apps and services" which I believe may be a critical function.

I've already written BMW, waiting to hear back. I even suggested that I may need a manual "push" update..... maybe that will make it work?

I understand my circumstances are different, and the end answer may simply be that it's not possible. Trying everything I can at this point though. At least with Android Auto I can use waze.... that will eliminate some of the burden. Waiting patiently for that one.
There is one big disadvantage for using Waze in Apple carplay and that is that it doesn't use the HUD. So you don't have info of navigation in your HUD or centre of your display anymore. I like that a lot for example the lane indication.

And second in Apple CarPlay I can't use writing with the finger on the idrive controller.

So I always end up navigating with Idrive.

Maybe it is different for Android.

For short drives around town waze might be better if you don't need navigation anyway.

If I really want to use waze / coyote I put my phone in a holder that attaches to the vents.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #73
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I hope they will get it.

The maps are on the HD of your car. They probably put a European one on there when you purchased it.

The wheater app is reading the local data anyway so it can be in the us or in Europe. Can't see why that wouldn't work. The 3D parking view isn't location specific. Both need a working cellular connection. So that works in your car.

I think the app you purchased works but there is just no traffic camera information available for Europe. Like buying a Betamax vcr.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #74
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
There is one big disadvantage for using Waze in Apple carplay and that is that it doesn't use the HUD. So you don't have info of navigation in your HUD or centre of your display anymore. I like that a lot for example the lane indication.

And second in Apple CarPlay I can't use writing with the finger on the idrive controller.

So I always end up navigating with Idrive.

Maybe it is different for Android.

For short drives around town waze might be better if you don't need navigation anyway.

If I really want to use waze / coyote I put my phone in a holder that attaches to the vents.
I have not tested recently, but in the past while using Waze with my iPhone in the charger and not connected to CP, the audio alerts would come through the car's speakers.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #75
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:

I think the app you purchased works but there is just no traffic camera information available for Europe. Like buying a Betamax vcr.
LOL.... that had me rolling

You may be right. Or.... maybe it's just a Belgian Law thing.... or maybe it is a connection thing.

Hopefully BMW will get back with me and offer a solution..... or at least an explanation.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      07-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #76
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLE 63S

I successfully purchased the service from the connected drive store on my laptop. It wasn't available on apps until 24 hours later. It's working well displaying on my HUD. It's great but I think it's ridiculous that BMW is charging me $25 for 15 months of service. Really nickel and diming on such an expensive car. Do they really need another $25 from me every 15 months? Ridiculous IMO...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #77
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

So I am in Germany almost everything works except speed camera, live view and real time traffic. I can start, unlock view car info like gas and services and etc from app. I also got free wifi until 2024. It works great able to stream USA Spotify and Netflix.

Quote:

Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #78
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjbmw1 View Post
So I am in Germany almost everything works except speed camera, live view and real time traffic. I can start, unlock view car info like gas and services and etc from app. I also got free wifi until 2024. It works great able to stream USA Spotify and Netflix.

Quote:

Since this year it is illegal to have any camera detection system in your car in Germany. Also software that warns for fixed cameras like Tom Tom and Garmin. The fine if installed is 75 euro.

I don't think that legally BMW can make it available in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #79
SeńorFeathers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 40i M-Sport

Thumbs up

Order placed on connected store and updated the app. I like that the speed camera info shows up in the HUD. Now I wait for the adaptive M professional suspension subscription to show up in the connected Store.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #80
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Well it finally started working. Hitting the option button in the App section and selecting the update services did the trick.

It shows up in the HUD for me. One thing, though, is that it will alert you even if you’re not driving towards the camera. In other words, it’s purely proximity based, regardless if you’re driving towards it or perpendicular to it.

For example, if you’re driving down one street and there’s a traffic camera on the next street over but within 1,000 ft of your location, I’ll still get the alert even if I’m not driving to that intersection.

Also, while the alert is up in the HUD, you can’t do any Apple Music track selection or anything else that requires graphics in the HUD area occupied by the traffic alert.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #81
spike5150
Captain
Rep

Installed, showed up in HUD, but it’s given 4 alerts when no cameras were present.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #82
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Installed, showed up in HUD, but it’s given 4 alerts when no cameras were present.
What database does BMW use?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #83
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:

I hope they will get it.

Would be nice to have but I have a Coyote mini in my car
But something more integrated with the car would be very welcome.

Doubt it that this will become available for us.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #84
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Done for both cars - worked perfectly! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 05:46 AM   #85
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Would be nice to have but I have a Coyote mini in my car
But something more integrated with the car would be very welcome.

Doubt it that this will become available for us.
What is a coyote mini?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:08 AM   #86
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
What is a coyote mini?
It warns for obstacles, accidents, traffic jams, permanent en mobile speed camera's, ...
For mobile camera's it depends on the input of drivers that have a coyote. They must indicate a mobile camera. It's available in several European countries but it works different in some countries because of legalisation.
In Belgium it warns at the exact point of a speed camera. In Germany and France it will warn that you are entering a high risk zone.
Somewhere you will find a speed camera
It's legal and Coyotesystems is a French company.

https://www.coyotesystems.be/nl/
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #87
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
It warns for obstacles, accidents, traffic jams, permanent en mobile speed camera's, ...
For mobile camera's it depends on the input of drivers that have a coyote. They must indicate a mobile camera. It's available in several European countries but it works different in some countries because of legalisation.
In Belgium it warns at the exact point of a speed camera. In Germany and France it will warn that you are entering a high risk zone.
Somewhere you will find a speed camera
It's legal and Coyotesystems is a French company.

https://www.coyotesystems.be/nl/
Is it accurate? I mean, is it worthwhile to have?

Also, does it work full-time, or do you have to be actively using the gps for it to work?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:16 AM   #88
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is it accurate? I mean, is it worthwhile to have?

Also, does it work full-time, or do you have to be actively using the gps for it to work?
I find it worthwhile. Not that I'm speeding all the time But Belgium is infested with speed cameras. Roads with 70 km/h, 50-70-30-50-70-50-70, ... It's almost impossible to keep track. That Coyote gives me more ease of mind and a more relaxing driving experience. I don't have to keep looking all the time for a speeding camera. Certainly if you drive somewhere where you aren't familiar.

It' has a built in GPS to locate the position your at. Coyote is subscription based. I think it costs me 144 euros per year. And it's mounted on the ventilation holes in front of me on the dashboard. That's a downside. It's not an integrated system.
Appreciate 0