BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-03-2020, 04:59 AM   #1
EV77
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Suspension Question

Hi all,

I took delivery of my new BMW X5 40i and after a few days of driving it I found it a bit harsh on the road while in comfort mode. I don't have the adaptive 2-axle air suspension (2VR). Only the adaptive M suspension (2VF) which when choose it it's a bit better. Also I have the 740M 20'' wheels with runflat tyres (If it has something to do with it). Any recommendations for a smoother ride especially in the city with road noise?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 05:51 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV77 View Post
Hi all,

I took delivery of my new BMW X5 40i and after a few days of driving it I found it a bit harsh on the road while in comfort mode. I don't have the adaptive 2-axle air suspension (2VR). Only the adaptive M suspension (2VF) which when choose it it's a bit better. Also I have the 740M 20'' wheels with runflat tyres (If it has something to do with it). Any recommendations for a smoother ride especially in the city with road noise?
Maybe it is just some getting used to for a couple of weeks. What car did you drive before the X5?

Are the road in Cyprus in bad condition? Did you do a test drive with the configuration you ordered?

I don't think you can do much. The 20 inch wheels are supposed to be more comfortable than 21 and 22.

Maybe switch to non run flats might give a bit better comfort. But that will cost you a lot of money. And the current rft tires are more comfortable then the older ones.

Switching to 19 inch non RFT's? But that is not good for the looks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Get rid of the run flats. They are garbage.

Night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #4
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I don't think the OEM run flats are that bad. I've had both Continental and Bridgestone and both were very comfortable. That said all run flats have stiffer sidewalls so switching to a non-runflat tire with more compliant sidewalls will certainly improve the ride comfort but by how much is hard to say given how good the OEM tires are. Regardless of tire, i don't think it will completely satisfy you. Air suspension is what is needed to make a real difference in ride comfort. Air is like a night and day difference on rough roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 05:22 AM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have air suspension..... and acoustic glass..... and I was CONVINCED when I bought my car that I'd made a mistake. I couldn't figure out why a car equipped with those options would be so noisy and so bumpy.

After 300 miles, I removed the Summer Continental runflats, and installed a set of All-season Pirelli non-runflats.

Night and day difference.

I still have the set of almost-new runflats sitting in my basement, and I'd rather ride on bald tires before I put those POS' back on my car.

Granted, the OEM tires were Summers, and my Pirellis are All-seasons.... But I also just installed significantly wider 22" Summer non-runflats on a new set of wheels.....and even those are smoother and quieter than my OEM 21" runflats. That's how bad those runflats are.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:32 AM   #6
EV77
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Thank you all for the responses. I am sure when I change my tires I will go for non RF. The dealer told me that I will get a smoother ride with non RF but when the car corners the RF are more stable. For the moment I drive with the adaptive suspension and get a smoother ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Run flats

I agree on the run flats being harsh. They come standard on the Corvettes and I always changed them to standard tires which made it much smoother.
Appreciate 0