BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-08-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

How Would You Spec a 45e to Stay Under $70k

Hi all,

I am thinking about ordering a 45e and would like to get your advice. My goal is to spec the car in a way that it stays under $70k before discounts and incentives but also fits in the options that in your opinion represents the best value for the money spent. Here is where I am at:

- Alpine White: Not crazy about any of the metallic options and saves me $550

- Black Sensatec: I appreciate the no animal leather aspect and in my previous BMW it was pretty durable, which is important since I have two little kids

- 20 inch wheels: The stock 19s look disproportionately small to my eyes and at $600 20 inch wheels look like a steal. I only wish it didn't force me to get the convenience package

- Convenience package: I guess the wireless charging is nice but I would totally skip this package if it wasn't mandatory for the 20 inch wheels

- Park assist package: With the G05 being a larger vehicle, I am thinking the surround view alone is probably well worth the $800. I also like the drive recorder (have it on my Tesla) and the blank camera button on the dash would itch my OCD every time I look down

- Heated wheel and armrest: No brainer in CO and would have paid even more to get it if necessary

- Rear sunshades: Two kiddos in car seats in the back so another no brainer

Total price $69,095 incl destination. What do you guys think, what should I consider to add or remove? I know the title says below $70k but I can go a little over $70k if you think I am missing out on a crucial option...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Hi all,

I am thinking about ordering a 45e and would like to get your advice. My goal is to spec the car in a way that it stays under $70k before discounts and incentives but also fits in the options that in your opinion represents the best value for the money spent. Here is where I am at:

- Alpine White: Not crazy about any of the metallic options and saves me $550

- Black Sensatec: I appreciate the no animal leather aspect and in my previous BMW it was pretty durable, which is important since I have two little kids

- 20 inch wheels: The stock 19s look disproportionately small to my eyes and at $600 20 inch wheels look like a steal. I only wish it didn't force me to get the convenience package

- Convenience package: I guess the wireless charging is nice but I would totally skip this package if it wasn't mandatory for the 20 inch wheels

- Park assist package: With the G05 being a larger vehicle, I am thinking the surround view alone is probably well worth the $800. I also like the drive recorder (have it on my Tesla) and the blank camera button on the dash would itch my OCD every time I look down

- Heated wheel and armrest: No brainer in CO and would have paid even more to get it if necessary

- Rear sunshades: Two kiddos in car seats in the back so another no brainer

Total price $69,095 incl destination. What do you guys think, what should I consider to add or remove? I know the title says below $70k but I can go a little over $70k if you think I am missing out on a crucial option...
First: fore choosing the 45e. I really like to drive the car but without the serious tax benefits we have here I would probably buy a (much) better equipped 40i for the 70 K you want to spent. If you have the tax benefits: it is a great car, go for it.

I presume you will order an x line (19 inch wheels)?

For the color: it is personal. Chose the one you like most. You have to look at it for a long time. I don't really like the black wheel arches and bumpers of the x line with white exterior color. You might consider taking a darker color like Artic grey or graphite? Also the silver finish around the windows look better with arctic grey than on white (personal).

360 surround view you really need. Drive recorder is nice to have when you need it.

HK sound is worth it.

Softclose-massage seats- ventilated seats- LED moonroof - Merino leather - leather dashboard - crystal gear - ambient air are all nice I have them but I would skip on them to stay within your budget.

I have the 735 ferric grey as winter wheels and they look a bit small but they look larger and better than the 734 silver. But I would also go for the 20 inch. Still comfortable and they look better. The convenience package you have to spec with 20 inch: Bluetooth functionality you need to have. Wireless charging I don't use. Just buy an extra usb to Apple cable. Four zone airco: not really necessary but ! Without this option you get a different AC display in the front that looks worse.

Heated seats and steering wheel: necessary.

Comfort seats are really good. But this will be more expensive.

Tinting the windows you can do afterwards. The sun blinds work well.

I have driving assistant plus. It would alway get this because it adds to safety.

Is the HUD included in on of your packages? That one is also important.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #3
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Alpine white is obviously the best color. All other opinions are opinions.

I have to have the HUD, so would get the premium package for sure, and would save on the wheels - if you're trying to save money that's just money down the drain for pure visual factor with no other benefit.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Juney
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e , Lexus RX350

US Spec X5' have 50 % tinted rear windows and the windows shades does not offer much than what tinted windows already do.

Black Sensatec feels really awful . Please check out vehicles with leather and sensatec before deciding on it. I was very much inclined towards sensatec until I sat on it .
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
If you have the tax benefits: it is a great car, go for it.

You might consider taking a darker color like Artic grey or graphite? Also the silver finish around the windows look better with arctic grey than on white (personal).

I have driving assistant plus. It would alway get this because it adds to safety.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

- Yes, I am getting $7.5k in federal and $4k in state tax credit so the 45e is a no brainer. Currently own a Model 3 and just sold our RX 450h so going forward I don't think I will ever own a car without some form of hybridization or full EV drivetrain

- Ordering an X line since M package is just cosmetic stuff (though it does improve the looks)

- As for color, Artic grey looks nice in the pictures (blueish grey) and I agree with you that it matches the chrome window trim so maybe I should go see an Artic X5 in person before ordering the white

- I am skipping the driving assist plus because I have seen too many complaints about the lane keep being too aggressive/intrusive. Looks like the base package covers all the important safety equipment (forward collision warning, auto emergency breaking, blind spot warning)

- HUD does look appealing and adding that option package will give me the HK sound too but Colorado roads are really hard on windshields (lots of debris especially in winter months and on mountain trips) so I don't want to have a fancy windshield because of the HUD
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
would save on the wheels - if you're trying to save money that's just money down the drain for pure visual factor with no other benefit.
You are totally right about 20 inch wheels being purely cosmetic (probably even hurts the comfort and ev range slightly) but the 19s just look out of place to my eyes in such a large car.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
Black Sensatec feels really awful . Please check out vehicles with leather and sensatec before deciding on it. I was very much inclined towards sensatec until I sat on it .
Thanks, will do! If I go up to vernesca that can open the flood gates and I might go for luxury seating package since having the ventilation and massage functions would be nice. So it is all or nothing for me, either just sensatec or full on luxury seating though it will definitely push me well over $70k. Oh well
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you have the tax benefits: it is a great car, go for it.

You might consider taking a darker color like Artic grey or graphite? Also the silver finish around the windows look better with arctic grey than on white (personal).

Thanks for the detailed reply!

- Yes, I am getting $7.5k in federal and $4k in state tax credit so the 45e is a no brainer. Currently own a Model 3 and just sold our RX 450h so going forward I don't think I will ever own a car without some form of hybridization or full EV drivetrain

- Ordering an X line since M package is just cosmetic stuff (though it does improve the looks)

- As for color, Artic grey looks nice in the pictures (blueish grey) and I agree with you that it matches the chrome window trim so maybe I should go see an Artic X5 in person before ordering the white

- I am skipping the driving assist plus because I have seen too many complaints about the lane keep being too aggressive/intrusive. Looks like the base package covers all the important safety equipment (forward collision warning, auto emergency breaking, blind spot warning)

- HUD does look appealing and adding that option package will give me the HK sound too but Colorado roads are really hard on windshields (lots of debris especially in winter months and on mountain trips) so I don't want to have a fancy windshield because of the HUD
Some quick answers

The HUD is a camera projecting on your windshield so it is not damaged when you brake your windshield.

Base automatic stopping is only up till 70 km/h and city safety. The radar of the automatic cruise control is needed for automatic stopping at highway speeds. Lane keeping isn't perfect that is correct.

And for the 19 inch wheels. The silver ones look smaller than the ferric grey ones. Different design. But even so they can look a bit to small.

I saw a white x line today on the road but couldn't take a picture. If you like the look of larger black plastic trim pieces it is the way to go. I would really take a good look at it before you chose. It might be the classic SUV look but you have to like it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

I think your options for a 70K functional, everyday, luxury 45e SAV makes sense:

Standard paint
SensaTec
ZCV Convenience Package
ZPK Parking Assistance Package
20" 738-style V spoke wheels
4HB Heated front seats, armrest & steering wheel
417 Rear manual sunshades

Here are suggest options in order and addition for your consideration based on my limited knowledge of your priorities and needs:

1. 4HA Heated front and rear seats $350, this adds rear heated seats

2. Aluminum running boards $400 - more costly to add later on (only if you need it)

2.5 ZLS Luxury Seating Package + Vernasca leather - upgrades to 20-way Multi-contour seats with ventilation - $1000 ZLS + 1450 Vernasca Leather, I highly recommend and more comfortable than the sport seats.

3. ZPP Premium Package $1750 (note this includes ZCV - $2550 minus $800)

4. ZDY Driving Assistance Professional $1700

5. ZPX Executive Package

6. Paint upgrade

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

Is your Model 3 spec with some autonomous driving? If it is, you may want to look into the Driver Assistance Pro Package. Not sure how comparable it is to Tesla's system but I would hate for you to miss out on some features that you're used to.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The HUD is a camera projecting on your windshield so it is not damaged when you brake your windshield.

And for the 19 inch wheels. The silver ones look smaller than the ferric grey ones. Different design. But even so they can look a bit to small.
Yes, I understand the HUD projects onto the windshield but usually with the HUD they need to use a special kind of glass, which is more expensive to replace. I have had too many windshields replaced before so I am just trying to keep the potential replacement cost down.

As for 19s, here in the US we only get one kind of 19 inch wheel and it is the style 734. Totally agree with you that no matter the color/design they look a bit small...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post

1. 4HA Heated front and rear seats $350, this adds rear heated seats

2. Aluminum running boards $400 - more costly to add later on (only if you need it)

2.5 ZLS Luxury Seating Package + Vernasca leather - upgrades to 20-way Multi-contour seats with ventilation - $1000 ZLS + 1450 Vernasca Leather, I highly recommend and more comfortable than the sport seats.

3. ZPP Premium Package $1750 (note this includes ZCV - $2550 minus $800)

4. ZDY Driving Assistance Professional $1700

5. ZPX Executive Package

6. Paint upgrade
Thanks for the reply, here is my take on all these items:

1) We have two car seats in the back so no need for seat heating

2) Both me and my wife are tall so we would not need the running boards to get in and out of the car

2.5) This is the one I am most on the fence about. We will either go sensatec or full on luxury seating in coffee vernasca. We will make the final decision after comparing the two at the dealership probably

3) While the HUD and HK sound would be nice, I am worried about the HUD requiring special glass for the windshield and costing more to replace

4) Based on the reviews I would hardly use the full feature set because of the aggressive lane keep function

5) Laser headlights would be cool but really drives the MSRP higher

6) Might go with Arctic Grey as X5 45e suggested, again will make the final decision after seeing the color in person at the dealership
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchuck84 View Post
Is your Model 3 spec with some autonomous driving? If it is, you may want to look into the Driver Assistance Pro Package. Not sure how comparable it is to Tesla's system but I would hate for you to miss out on some features that you're used to.
Yep, we have the Autopilot. While it is really impressive we hardly use it to be honest, pretty much only when in stop and go traffic but that rarely happens. My main priority is the safety features like the forward collision warning and auto emergency breaking, which comes standard on the X5 without stepping up to Driver Assist Pro so I think we would be ok without the Driver Assist Pro
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:55 AM   #14
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Quote:
Yep, we have the Autopilot. While it is really impressive we hardly use it to be honest, pretty much only when in stop and go traffic but that rarely happens. My main priority is the safety features like the forward collision warning and auto emergency breaking, which comes standard on the X5 without stepping up to Driver Assist Pro so I think we would be ok without the Driver Assist Pro
Are you sure that X5 comes with auto emergency braking? I thought it only has "Frontal Collision Warning".
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:56 AM   #15
Foothills20
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
If your main priority is safety, we too have a Tesla. Autopilot, used while cruising long distance, has saved us from a couple of accidents. It sensed situations before we did and alerted us. I feel it's safer to be using Autopilot than just driving it myself. I have ordered it for my upcoming X5. And, as others have mentioned, I'd skip on the window shades. If you can swing it, I'd also recommend the multi-contour seats! I wouldn't get one without that.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 05:43 AM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaflb View Post
Quote:
Are you sure that X5 comes with auto emergency braking? I thought it only has "Frontal Collision Warning".
City braking and forward collision warning is standard I think. Auto braking at highway speeds is not. You need the radar of adaptive cruise controle. And for me this is the most important safety feature. Auto braking while driving into slow traffic at high speeds. That is why in my last cars I alway had this. It saved me 2-3 times the last 5 years. City speed auto braking = preventing car damage, highway speed auto braking = preventing physical damage
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #17
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaflb View Post
According to the IIHS, X5 comes standard with a superior system that includes AEB:

https://ibb.co/kypBGMC
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #18
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills20 View Post
If your main priority is safety, we too have a Tesla. Autopilot, used while cruising long distance, has saved us from a couple of accidents. It sensed situations before we did and alerted us. I feel it's safer to be using Autopilot than just driving it myself. I have ordered it for my upcoming X5. And, as others have mentioned, I'd skip on the window shades. If you can swing it, I'd also recommend the multi-contour seats! I wouldn't get one without that.
I think I have had too many phantom breaking incidents with my Tesla and that is why I am not using Autopilot when cruising at higher speeds. Arguably it is more dangerous to suddenly break for no reason in fast move traffic as it increases the risk of getting rear ended. Personally I think even the best level 3 driving assistance system still has some ways to go before I can fully trust it to take over the wheel...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #19
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
City braking and forward collision warning is standard I think. Auto braking at highway speeds is not. You need the radar of adaptive cruise controle. And for me this is the most important safety feature. Auto braking while driving into slow traffic at high speeds. That is why in my last cars I alway had this. It saved me 2-3 times the last 5 years. City speed auto braking = preventing car damage, highway speed auto braking = preventing physical damage
I hear you but I think the forward collision warning is active at highway speeds too so the standard system will warn me of a dangerous situation but just won't brake automatically if I fail to react on time.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #20
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I hear you but I think the forward collision warning is active at highway speeds too so the standard system will warn me of a dangerous situation but just won't brake automatically if I fail to react on time.
Some us - euro confusion I see. I looked in the US and the European sites. Obviously for you only the US is of importance.

The US version standard has active driving assistant with frontal collision warning, like you mentioned. It doesn't mention any speed restrictions as far as I found.

The euro version has active guard plus this specifies that the system works up till 85 km/h for others vehicles and 65 for pedestrians. It needs driving assistant plus to function at higher speeds.

Strange there is a diffenrence.

In the US active protection is standard in Europe it is an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #21
mocad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Add the Alcantara headliner. You can only get it in the M50i and 45e at the moment. I wish I could have added it to my '21 40i.

Current: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i (on order)
R.I.P.: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i (18-Jul-2022)
Past: 2008 335xi (fond memories)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #22
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

OP here, just took delivery of my cheapskate edition 45e today. Really happy with my spec and liking the smooth and quiet ride so far. Thanks everyone for your input on the spec...

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by moodyhank82; 11-03-2020 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0