BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Custom build process in US

Hello everyone.

I am new to BMW and this awesome community and right now I am considering to get a 45e or 40i soon and would like to custom build. I have never bought a new car via custom build so I have question and hope folks who has gone through custom build could help.

I know when buying the car from the lot, you know exactly the otd price and pay and drive the car off the lot but how is otd price determined when custom ordering? Do I just lock the dealer discount (before incentive and rebate) when order is made and apply the incentive and rebate available at the time of delivery? Or while waiting for the delivery, can I get the max incentive and rebate that is available during the wait even if that max incentive and rebate does exist at the time of delivery?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

You negotiate a discount with the dealer based upon the build before the order is placed. You submit a credit app and can rate lock rebates and financing for 60 days. If it improves during that time you get the benefit. Since your car will arrive within that 60 day period you should be good.

I recommend calling around to ensure you get a good discount, some dealers will do up to 10% not including rebates while others will say they can't do much on orders, avoid them.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 01:13 AM   #3
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
yup, there's no real difference between a car on the lot and an allocation except the dealer has already preconfig'd the order and it's obviously arrived. If they have what you want on the lot they might be willing to give you a better deal than if you take a future allocation simply because they don't want cars sitting around on the lot.

If you decide to order, just remember to ask if the dealer has an allocation AND will give you a production number - sometimes dealers will say they have an allocation when they don't (and thus can't give you a production #), or, once they have your order details, they give your allocation to a higher profit new customer. Getting the production # prevents both.

So it's always important to ensure the dealer has an allocation and, once you provide the config, will give you the production number.

Otherwise you're still negotiating on a specific car: either one on the lot or one with your config.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
You negotiate a discount with the dealer based upon the build before the order is placed. You submit a credit app and can rate lock rebates and financing for 60 days. If it improves during that time you get the benefit. Since your car will arrive within that 69 day period you should be good.

I recommend calling around to ensure you get a good discount, some dealers will do up to 10% not including rebates while others will say they can't do much on orders, avoid them.
Thanks!

Do you know if this(if a better financing rebate comes out while waiting, I am get the best rebates of from the order to delivery) applied to all dealership? Do I need to have to policy/agreement in written when making the order?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:27 PM   #5
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
yup, there's no real difference between a car on the lot and an allocation except the dealer has already preconfig'd the order and it's obviously arrived. If they have what you want on the lot they might be willing to give you a better deal than if you take a future allocation simply because they don't want cars sitting around on the lot.

If you decide to order, just remember to ask if the dealer has an allocation AND will give you a production number - sometimes dealers will say they have an allocation when they don't (and thus can't give you a production #), or, once they have your order details, they give your allocation to a higher profit new customer. Getting the production # prevents both.

So it's always important to ensure the dealer has an allocation and, once you provide the config, will give you the production number.

Otherwise you're still negotiating on a specific car: either one on the lot or one with your config.
Thanks for the tip GrussGott! I was not aware of this. Do you mean that I can ask the dealer to me the production number even before I make the order with them?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #6
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaflb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
You negotiate a discount with the dealer based upon the build before the order is placed. You submit a credit app and can rate lock rebates and financing for 60 days. If it improves during that time you get the benefit. Since your car will arrive within that 69 day period you should be good.

Thanks!

Do you know if this(if a better financing rebate comes out while waiting, I am get the best rebates of from the order to delivery) applied to all dealership? Do I need to have to policy/agreement in written when making the order?
I've never gotten it in writing but it can't hurt. After you place your order watch the offers on the web and feel free to email your sales person if the offer gets better during your waiting period. The offers are based on region but all dealerships in a specific region should be able to offer the same bmw rebates.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:08 AM   #7
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the tip GrussGott! I was not aware of this. Do you mean that I can ask the dealer to me the production number even before I make the order with them?
Sort of, technically they have to start a configuration to get you an order number ... the key is to first get their word they have an allocation and can/will assign you a prod num once you agree on terms. Then negotiate on the car, i.e, base, options, financing. Once you're agreed, they should be able to immediately give you the production number.

Salespeople who are really on the stick will give you a prod # based on a config you provide in an email (since they can always change it later).

Another thing is to vet your salespeople - no offense to any CAs, but IME about 60% don't know what the fuck they're talking about; they don't know the incentives, don't know what stacks with what, many times don't even know the options. So the first tip is to find a salesperson who really knows the order sheet and incentives.

e.g, I just asked a CA about the PenFed incentive and he tried really really hard to convince me it didn't apply because it was military only (that's USAA). So I dumped him and moved on.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:30 AM   #8
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sort of, technically they have to start a configuration to get you an order number ... the key is to first get their word they have an allocation and can/will assign you a prod num once you agree on terms. Then negotiate on the car, i.e, base, options, financing. Once you're agreed, they should be able to immediately give you the production number.

Salespeople who are really on the stick will give you a prod # based on a config you provide in an email (since they can always change it later).

Another thing is to vet your salespeople - no offense to any CAs, but IME about 60% don't know what the fuck they're talking about; they don't know the incentives, don't know what stacks with what, many times don't even know the options. So the first tip is to find a salesperson who really knows the order sheet and incentives.

e.g, I just asked a CA about the PenFed incentive and he tried really really hard to convince me it didn't apply because it was military only (that's USAA). So I dumped him and moved on.
Thanks GrussGott for the detailed explanation!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 06:00 AM   #9
647TTA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Thank you for mentioning the PenFed rebate. I am a member and I hadn't seen that. Do we know if it stacks on top of the existing rebates?

Thank you
      09-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
Juney
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e , Lexus RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 647TTA View Post
Thank you for mentioning the PenFed rebate. I am a member and I hadn't seen that. Do we know if it stacks on top of the existing rebates?

Thank you
So this is what I found on a Penfed thread on the rebates stack. Not all rebates are stackable .

Type J is Penfed ($500)
OL ( Test drive $1000)
Conquest ($500)

Loyalty + OL: Yes
Loyalty + Type J: Yes
Conquest + OL: Yes
Conquest + Type J: Yes
College Graduate + Any of the four: Yes

So if you qualify for loyalty, OL, conquest and PenFed, then you can do either one of the two below, since they need to be mutually stackable:

Loyalty + OL + Conquest
Loyalty + Type J + Conquest
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18179.00
      09-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Hello everyone.

I am new to BMW and this awesome community and right now I am considering to get a 45e or 40i soon and would like to custom build. I have never bought a new car via custom build so I have question and hope folks who has gone through custom build could help.

I know when buying the car from the lot, you know exactly the otd price and pay and drive the car off the lot but how is otd price determined when custom ordering? Do I just lock the dealer discount (before incentive and rebate) when order is made and apply the incentive and rebate available at the time of delivery? Or while waiting for the delivery, can I get the max incentive and rebate that is available during the wait even if that max incentive and rebate does exist at the time of delivery?

Thanks!

Here is a quick suggested breakdown from me to you:
1. go on BMWUSA.com build your exact spec'd vehicle and get the build code.
2. contact a dealer with your build number and get a quote.
3. if the numbers look good, get it emailed to you so you have the record and place your order.
4. make sure your dealer HAS a allocation, if you dont get production number then that dealer does not have a allocation. Keep in mind your dealer may not get a allocation for some time, they are not guaranteed and come first part of each month. So def take note of this so you are not just BS'd and sitting and waiting.
5. Once you dialed in price and you place your order I would HIGHLY recommend you LOCK in with the dealer you are buying the car from. This process entails you to fill out a credit app and lock in programing (rates/incentives/etc..) for 60 or 90 days. If you order a car from east coast dealer you will lock in for 60 days. west coast is 90 days. Once you are locked in, you have to take delivery within the lock in period you can select what months programs/incentives work best for you.
6. once production starts since its a X model they are made in US so you are looking at 4-6 weeks till the car comes to dealer.

any other question/quote feel free to shoot my main man Jimmy Miller an email at jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com

happy hunting

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18179.00
zaflb18.00
      09-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #12
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
So this is what I found on a Penfed thread on the rebates stack. Not all rebates are stackable .

Type J is Penfed ($500)
OL ( Test drive $1000)
Conquest ($500)

Loyalty + OL: Yes
Loyalty + Type J: Yes
Conquest + OL: Yes
Conquest + Type J: Yes
College Graduate + Any of the four: Yes

So if you qualify for loyalty, OL, conquest and PenFed, then you can do either one of the two below, since they need to be mutually stackable:

Loyalty + OL + Conquest
Loyalty + Type J + Conquest
Conquest and Loyalty is NOT stackable, it's one or the other.

Last edited by Auricom; 09-14-2020 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:08 PM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep

currently no incentives available for 45e 2021 models. incase anyone was wondering

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #14
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
currently no incentives available for 45e 2021 models. incase anyone was wondering
GOLFFRR, do you know how the recent custom order timeline looks like for 45e delivered to the west coast? I am trying to see by when I should order if I want to get the car before the end of the year.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10815.50
      09-14-2020, 08:28 PM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
GOLFFRR, do you know how the recent custom order timeline looks like for 45e delivered to the west coast? I am trying to see by when I should order if I want to get the car before the end of the year.
It would be best to ask your dealer since a major part of the timeline is when they have an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:45 PM   #16
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It would be best to ask your dealer since a major part of the timeline is when they have an allocation.
Thanks.

Does allocation has a timestamp associated with it? The dealer said he has allocation. Should I ask him when that allocation will be processed and production begin?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Thanks.

Does allocation has a timestamp associated with it? The dealer said he has allocation. Should I ask him when that allocation will be processed and production begin?
I'm not positive but believe allocations are broken down by model and have a general timeframe associated with it. I would imagine someone who has the exact details will fill us in.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 09:42 PM   #18
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
once your car starts production you are looking at 4-6 weeks. The big thing like I try to remind everyone is to make sure you get an allocation (you will receive a production number if they have a allocation) so you are not waiting longer then you need to!

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #19
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

you will receive a production number if you have a allocation. IF you don't get a production number they dont have a allocation at that time. Allocations come out beginning of each month. Your dealer can also sometimes trade for allocation from another dealer but with the X units it will be tough since they are SUPER hot right now, so hot there isn't even any incentives out still

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #20
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
you will receive a production number if you have a allocation. IF you don't get a production number they dont have a allocation at that time. Allocations come out beginning of each month. Your dealer can also sometimes trade for allocation from another dealer but with the X units it will be tough since they are SUPER hot right now, so hot there isn't even any incentives out still
GOLFFRR, how can I ensure the dealer has one allocation? Should I ask them to show me the production number before I make the order? Also how do I tell if that number has not been assigned to someone else? Apologize for so many dumb questions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #21
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here is a quick suggested breakdown from me to you:
1. go on BMWUSA.com build your exact spec'd vehicle and get the build code.
2. contact a dealer with your build number and get a quote.
3. if the numbers look good, get it emailed to you so you have the record and place your order.
4. make sure your dealer HAS a allocation, if you dont get production number then that dealer does not have a allocation. Keep in mind your dealer may not get a allocation for some time, they are not guaranteed and come first part of each month. So def take note of this so you are not just BS'd and sitting and waiting.
5. Once you dialed in price and you place your order I would HIGHLY recommend you LOCK in with the dealer you are buying the car from. This process entails you to fill out a credit app and lock in programing (rates/incentives/etc..) for 60 or 90 days. If you order a car from east coast dealer you will lock in for 60 days. west coast is 90 days. Once you are locked in, you have to take delivery within the lock in period you can select what months programs/incentives work best for you.
6. once production starts since its a X model they are made in US so you are looking at 4-6 weeks till the car comes to dealer.

any other question/quote feel free to shoot my main man Jimmy Miller an email at jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com

happy hunting
Thank you GOLFFRR! I am going to shoot Jimmy an email and see if he can make good offer for me since I am also in California.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10815.50
      09-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #22
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Thank you GOLFFRR! I am going to shoot Jimmy an email and see if he can make good offer for me since I am also in California.
super cool, we actually sell all over the US and if numbers dont work out allllll good thanks for thinking of us! Just make sure you let him know your specs, county, and zip. Any issues getting a hold of him Im here everyday just PM me and Ill follow up no prob

Appreciate 0