BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2020, 01:43 AM   #1
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Zeebrugge vs. Bremerhaven

My car was loaded on the ship last night and the ship will arrive in Bremerhaven on 24th and Zeebrugge on 30th September. Why won't they discharge the car in Bremerhaven (which is closer to Finland), but instead waste six more days taking it further away from the final destination?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:35 AM   #2
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
My car was loaded on the ship last night and the ship will arrive in Bremerhaven on 24th and Zeebrugge on 30th September. Why won't they discharge the car in Bremerhaven (which is closer to Finland), but instead waste six more days taking it further away from the final destination?
Maybe because BMW has a contract with a shipping company from ZeeBrugge to Helsinki?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 05:13 AM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Zeebrugge is an important HUB voor many car companies . It has a car assembly and correction facility. Some options are added in Zeebrugge and corrections of damage during transport are done before delivery.

Maybe that is why cars can be stuck in Zeebrugge longer than we want and we get the message from the dealer then don't know when it will be delivered. Maybe even better not to know.

And I think specific for the 45e the battery now has to be tested and maybe this can only be done in Zeebrugge.

https://www.walleniuswilhelmsen.com/...ehicle-gateway

I don't know however why it also stops in Bremerhaven? Maybe it doesn't only transport cars? Or other brands?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
biterror514.00
      09-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #4
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Yes, you are right, I read some articles on this important port. One main issue was (or still persist) the large number of cars blocked from the pandemia.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:55 AM   #5
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Thanks for the information. It just feels silly that the ship first goes to Bremerhaven, then to Zeebrugge, then I believe the car is put on another ship which goes to Bremerhaven, then on yet another ship which goes to Finland. It's a miracle if the cars get through all this loading/unloading without any damage...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 04:35 AM   #6
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

It is something strange, but looking at the fact that preparation of the car and final updates are made in one place it make sense. Otherwise they loose money, and nobody do so.
Appreciate 0