BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
aben1975
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

The Agony of Waiting

Sorry if anyone has experience nationwide internet slow downs due to my constant refreshing of the BMW build page. My X5 started production on Friday the 4th and remains in "Production Begins Status" for 10 days now which seems to be the norm. I did talk to the Genius last week who stated the car is scheduled to finish Saturday the 19th so i expect activity mid to late this week. I like the access to see progress for the build, but find it a bit like Christmas morning to waiting see progress. I guess if the build finishes Saturday, my CA thinks i should have it still in late September. Its been nice to have this page as i found out the Genius can provide better intel than online.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
J2045678
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x7 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aben1975 View Post
Sorry if anyone has experience nationwide internet slow downs due to my constant refreshing of the BMW build page. My X5 started production on Friday the 4th and remains in "Production Begins Status" for 10 days now which seems to be the norm. I did talk to the Genius last week who stated the car is scheduled to finish Saturday the 19th so i expect activity mid to late this week. I like the access to see progress for the build, but find it a bit like Christmas morning to waiting see progress. I guess if the build finishes Saturday, my CA thinks i should have it still in late September. Its been nice to have this page as i found out the Genius can provide better intel than online.
I ordered mine on 9/4, started production on 9/8 with an expected completion of 9/25. Since you are ahead of me, curious to see how close they come to the date. Mine is also sitting in the same status as yours, but expecting to see movement next week. We shall see...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
mocad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
I'm in MN and ordered mine from a local dealer on Aug 8 (order went in on Aug 10). I just got mine on Sept. 9, so basically exactly one month.

I only checked in on mine a few times using the automated phone system. It seemed like it didn't update very often and was a bit behind. In fact, I checked it the same day it arrived and it still reported as being in transit.

If you ordered a 40i, you may want to watch inventory at your dealer. Depending on how specific your build is, they may get something in that matches. I was watching their inventory because I hadn't seen Tartufo interior yet and I was surprised by how many X5s they were moving. Maybe you can shortcut your wait if you see what you want.

Current: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i (on order)
R.I.P.: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i (18-Jul-2022)
Past: 2008 335xi (fond memories)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

I had to wait 3 months to get my M550i. One month is nothing!
Appreciate 1
MissVito216.50
      09-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
bmui1561
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05- 2021 BMW X5 x40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2045678 View Post
Quote:
I ordered mine on 9/4, started production on 9/8 with an expected completion of 9/25. Since you are ahead of me, curious to see how close they come to the date. Mine is also sitting in the same status as yours, but expecting to see movement next week. We shall see...
Also ordered 9/4, production began 9/8 with an estimated production complete date of 9/23. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
J2045678
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x7 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmui1561 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Also ordered 9/4, production began 9/8 with an estimated production complete date of 9/23. We shall see.
And I only check the status about 100 times a day...at least I'm not obsessed 😂
Appreciate 1
MissVito216.50
      09-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2020-2024 X5 50e 2024-

those waiting times don't sound too bad.

try the Belgian one's, 9 to 12 months wait for an x5 45e.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #8
aben1975
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
And I only check the status about 100 times a day...at least I'm not obsessed 😂

Yeah the wait times aren't bad, but any wait is odd when most things in life are nearly next day. Its kinda fun anticipation. I had a somewhat specific order with Cognac, heat package, mineral white, running boards, hitch and premium. With the 21s the premium comes with HK sound which prior to the 21 models kept me from one on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
bmw4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15

Quote:
3 weeks from order to delivery on my 40i. Mine just got here last Saturday. Going to pick up tomorrow. I'm in the Midwest. Frankly, I'm very surprised. Once it went to production, it was built in literally 6 hours then it went to carrier assignment. It arrived 4 days later at dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:38 AM   #10
Finito84
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Confirmed with the dealer at the end of August, the order went through the first week of September because they were understaffed at the dealership, especially doing any kind of admin task. I have not received my vin or production number yet, but I should get it this week.

I am European, usually over there, the wait time is usually 3 months or more for some brands, so I have no issues waiting for 6 weeks or more. As far as I get it by the end of the year, I will be happy. Still like my current car 2012 Lexus LS 460 and have no issues if it gets scratched or a bird pops on it or baby makes a mess in the back, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:52 AM   #11
aben1975
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just checked in on the order hotline which confirmed completion date of this Friday the 18th. Online is still "Production Begins" as this morning. So 2 days to go. My guess is it may skip online right to finished.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

once car starts production you are looking at 4-6 weeks till it hits the dealership on avg.

and again not to sound like a broken record, but no production number, not allocation. I say this bc allocations are low right now and demand is huge, so make sure you are not getting the run around and are waiting for that specific dealer to get a allocation. You could be waiting for months and wouldn't even know it.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #13
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Quote:
Just checked in on the order hotline which confirmed completion date of this Friday the 18th. Online is still "Production Begins" as this morning. So 2 days to go. My guess is it may skip online right to finished.
what is order hotline?

Mine is stuck in 'SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION
The factory has scheduled production of your unique BMW."

for some time.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
aben1975
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
what is order hotline?

Mine is stuck in 'SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION
The factory has scheduled production of your unique BMW."

for some time.
1-800-831-1117 - Follow the voice prompts to Vehicle Production Status. If you don't have a scheduled completion date, it will give you that even if it still say "Scheduled for production". Also, i spoke directly to a Genius who provided some detail so if you don't get a completion date stay on the line for a Genius.
Appreciate 1
m3_08602.50
      09-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
aben1975
Enlisted Member
Rep

So after a very disappointing day with no movement to the online status and my sales rep confirming on his end that it still at the initial phase of production, Just got off the phone with the Genius who looked it up and stated its in final stages of production. He indicated that he is hearing a lot of reports that the online system isn't tracking. I guess if you care, stay on the line to speak to a genius and they have the best info (or what i want to hear).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
once car starts production you are looking at 4-6 weeks till it hits the dealership on avg.

and again not to sound like a broken record, but no production number, not allocation. I say this bc allocations are low right now and demand is huge, so make sure you are not getting the run around and are waiting for that specific dealer to get a allocation. You could be waiting for months and wouldn't even know it.

Can a dealership place an order even if they don't have allocation? I placed my order at the end of August... didn't get a production number until Sept 7. It has be stuck on "order received" since then. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #17
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu3ed View Post
Can a dealership place an order even if they don't have allocation? I placed my order at the end of August... didn't get a production number until Sept 7. It has be stuck on "order received" since then. Thanks.
no they have to have an allocation. If you got a production number the allocation they gave you could be a october build which could be the case. Allocation are out first part of each month and are for the following month. so sept dealers got october allocation if that makes sense. Also keep in mind build weeks are estimated and can change.

Appreciate 1
amus3d428.00
      09-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #18
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no they have to have an allocation. If you got a production number the allocation they gave you could be a october build which could be the case. Allocation are out first part of each month and are for the following month. so sept dealers got october allocation if that makes sense. Also keep in mind build weeks are estimated and can change.
Thank you. That makes total sense. Now I regret telling them I was hoping for an October/November delivery. Let's hope the incentives are better during that time.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10815.50
      09-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #19
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu3ed View Post
Thank you. That makes total sense. Now I regret telling them I was hoping for an October/November delivery. Let's hope the incentives are better during that time.
I see that some regions are getting some incentives right now so maybe west coast areas will next month! Also I would recommend you lock in program with whoever you are working with so you are covered for 60/90 days based of that dealers location.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #20
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

My vehicle is being delivered 2 months after the order went in (with allocation).
September incentives are better than previous months. I'm with golffrr on this one. Go ahead and lock in September incentives for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #21
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see that some regions are getting some incentives right now so maybe west coast areas will next month! Also I would recommend you lock in program with whoever you are working with so you are covered for 60/90 days based of that dealers location.
I went in at the end of August to lock in the finance credit and loyalty credit. I believe the incentives at that time ended on 8/31 so I locked it just in time. Being that this is my first time ordering, I'm not sure if its 60 or 90 days though.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #22
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2002 View Post
My vehicle is being delivered 2 months after the order went in (with allocation).
September incentives are better than previous months. I'm with golffrr on this one. Go ahead and lock in September incentives for now.
What are the incentives for this month?

I got 2k finance credit, 1k loyalty credit, and 0.9% finance.
Appreciate 0