BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Back to BMW and new to 45e! Some questions for the experienced..

We had an order for 2021 Yukon Denali as a "future lifestyle proof" car but wife couldn't resist the x5 lure and we picked it up on Saturday. It's been a fantastic car, our first hybrid. Love the range, quietness, how it handles on freeway ramps. We are quite happy so far.
My last BMW was a 2007 Z4M Coupe, so this has whole lot more tech than I'm used to so there's a lot to learn but a couple questions to start with..

1. I understand there are 3 traditional batteries in the 45e. When you plug in to charge, does that charge ALL batteries, like the traditional ones and the floor hybrid ones? Or if we don't plan on driving this for some time, do I need to plug in battery tender as well?

2. Last night we heard a loud fan noise in the garage and noticed the fan came on full blast with the grill slots open on the 45e. This is like 6 hours after we parked the car and left it charging. Is that normal??
It gradually shut off in stages, but took like 15 minutes.

09-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Also.. I knew to expect slow recharge speed, but man.. this is a bit tough.. we plugged in around 4pm yesterday and it's showing almost midnight to be fully charged! That's like 30 hours to get 20-25 mi range??
Attached Images

09-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
Also.. I knew to expect slow recharge speed, but man.. this is a bit tough.. we plugged in around 4pm yesterday and it's showing almost midnight to be fully charged! That's like 30 hours to get 20-25 mi range??
You need a level 2 charger and 240V plug to reduce the charge time (about 7 hours from 0% to 100%), from a 110v outlet it will take forever.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Were you plugged in when the fans came on? If so, that is for battery heat management.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
On 220 10A it takes around 10 hours to charge 100% with the normal charger. On 110 if I am correct it should be around 20h.

Could it be that your max charge is on 6A? You can change it in the charging menu.

I think if it is possible for you it would be better to buy a level 2 charger on 110V you are not able to charge over night like you experienced.

Your range is a bit low but it might go up when driving more.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
We had an order for 2021 Yukon Denali as a "future lifestyle proof" car but wife couldn't resist the x5 lure and we picked it up on Saturday. It's been a fantastic car, our first hybrid. Love the range, quietness, how it handles on freeway ramps. We are quite happy so far.
My last BMW was a 2007 Z4M Coupe, so this has whole lot more tech than I'm used to so there's a lot to learn but a couple questions to start with..

1. I understand there are 3 traditional batteries in the 45e. When you plug in to charge, does that charge ALL batteries, like the traditional ones and the floor hybrid ones? Or if we don't plan on driving this for some time, do I need to plug in battery tender as well?

2. Last night we heard a loud fan noise in the garage and noticed the fan came on full blast with the grill slots open on the 45e. This is like 6 hours after we parked the car and left it charging. Is that normal??
It gradually shut off in stages, but took like 15 minutes.

I think the charger only charges the HV battery.

It is mentioned in the manual that when the 12v battery is low the car can't be started even with a fully charged HV battery. If I understand this correctly the HV will not charge the 12V when the car is not driven.

We discussed this in a thread on the installation of a cameras connected to the 12V to monitor what happens when the car is parked.

I think when the car is turned on the HV battery however does charge the other batteries. Maybe it is a protection against leaking current? It would keep op charging the 12V battery when there is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
You need a level 2 charger and 240V plug to reduce the charge time (about 7 hours from 0% to 100%), from a 110v outlet it will take forever.
Yea.. we drove about 50 miles yesterday (about 40 miles freeway and 5 miles up and down PV hills) and came home on empty batteries. So this is charging from 0% from 110v.
240V is the dryer outlet right? Maybe need to look into using that when we aren't using the dryer..
      09-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Were you plugged in when the fans came on? If so, that is for battery heat management.
Yes, it was plugged in. That explains that the engine bay seems to stay warm all the time when it's plugged in?
      09-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
On 220 10A it takes around 10 hours to charge 100% with the normal charger. On 110 if I am correct it should be around 20h.

Could it be that your max charge is on 6A? You can change it in the charging menu.

I think if it is possible for you it would be better to buy a level 2 charger on 110V you are not able to charge over night like you experienced.

That's what I was wondering too.. Our battery range seems much lower than the advertised 40-50 mile range, so will see how it changes in a month or so.
How long have you had yours and how's your battery range?
      09-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone have experience with this level 2 charger?

https://www.amazon.com/PRIMECOM-Port...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
      09-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

That's what I was wondering too.. Our battery range seems much lower than the advertised 40-50 mile range, so will see how it changes in a month or so.
How long have you had yours and how's your battery range?
I am in Europe. I have mine since December 19. The max range I have done is a bit over 80 km driving electric only in eco pro on 50 and some 70 km/h roads, 26 degr Celsius driving like an old fart. No fun at all and irritating drivers behind me with too slow accelerations and keeping the maximum speed exactly. Not to be repeated anyway. But this is how you get the advertised range and economy.

Normal driving is around 65-70 km electric range.

The displayed range after charging depends on the trip before you turn of the car. I have seen more than 100 km after charging but when starting driving it goes down quickly.

You have to compare your range with US drivers. Btw I don't think it is advertised to have 50 miles range in the US? Isn't is 30?? I might be wrong?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #12
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Read through this thread for charger / cable info.

The vehicle only has two batteries near as I can tell from reading the manual: the high voltage battery for powering the car and heating/cooling and the 12v "auxiliary" battery ("IBS2") with its own charger ("BCU") for powering the electronics and starting the combustion engine:

The air conditioning is controlled via the HV battery, so if it's discharged you'll have poor a/c. You can use the battery control function to ensure the vehicle doesn't let the battery get too low (but you'll lose gas mileage).

Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      09-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #13
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Yes, 30 miles range in the US. Personally, I would go for either the ChargePoint or the Juicebox charges. Certainly more expensive than the one linked by OP, but I think better quality. I want one that will last for several years. Yes, you can use the one for your dryer as long as your charger has a compatible plug. Be sure that the circuit breaker for that outlet is not less than the maximum amps of your charger.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #14
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it was plugged in. That explains that the engine bay seems to stay warm all the time when it's plugged in?
Yes, the batteries get quite warm during charging, so they can warm up the entire engine bay.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #15
LoneStarX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5-45e

Quote:
Yes, the batteries get quite warm during charging, so they can warm up the entire engine bay.
Why does the engine bay under the hood (or bonnet for non-US) get warm at all if the HV battery pack is located under the rear compartment area?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Read through [COLOR="Blue"]this[/COLOR] thread for charger / cable info.

The vehicle only has two batteries near as I can tell from reading the manual: the high voltage battery for powering the car and heating/cooling and the 12v "auxiliary" battery ("IBS2") with its own charger ("BCU") for powering the electronics and starting the combustion engine:

The air conditioning is controlled via the HV battery, so if it's discharged you'll have poor a/c. You can use the battery control function to ensure the vehicle doesn't let the battery get too low (but you'll lose gas mileage).

Nice info ! Is this from the manual?

So the 12V battery is connected to and charged by the HV batter? Or does it charge with a dynamo?

It is not clear if the HV will charge the 12V if the car is not turned on.

And I thought the 45e had a heat pump. This seems not to be correct. It has a electric AC unit and an electric heater.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #17
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarX5 View Post
Why does the engine bay under the hood (or bonnet for non-US) get warm at all if the HV battery pack is located under the rear compartment area?
I don't know.. yours doesn't get warm in the engine bay?
Yesterday before the drive, I unplugged to give it a quick wash since the dealer wash left more to be desired and I noticed the engine bay was warm to the touch when I opened it. This was with the car sitting in the garage for like 12 hours.
      09-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #18
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Read through this thread for charger / cable info.

Oh nice! Thanks for the info!
      09-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #19
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarX5 View Post
Quote:
I assume it has to do with the liquid cooling system/ac cooling the on board charger. My Cayenne does not get super warm, but it will be warm to the touch after level 2 charging with fans/ac running to cool batteries.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #20
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Fans blowing during charging is normal. I mainly have it when charging on hot days. Or when I park my car too close to the wall. I freed up the space around my car in the garage so the air can circulate more freely.

The long charging. Check your charging settings and make sure it is set to 16A.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #21
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
Fans blowing during charging is normal. I mainly have it when charging on hot days. Or when I park my car too close to the wall. I freed up the space around my car in the garage so the air can circulate more freely.

The long charging. Check your charging settings and make sure it is set to 16A.
Doh! It was set at 6A.. Why not make the default value to be fastest? Who would want to charge it slowly..
      09-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #22
60diablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Love finding this Forum. We just got our car 4 days ago. My wife went into the garage to get something yesterday after we had been back for a couple hrs and she starting yelling at me i left the car on. The fan was on full force. I actually thought i left it on. But i didn't. I figured it was cooling the batteries. The car was plugged in. We live in Arizona. 100+ yesterday.

As far as charging. Just ordered the Juicebox and called my electrician. Definitely can't deal with the slow charging of a regular outlet.
Appreciate 0