BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2023, 07:10 PM   #1
tscharf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Recorded path parking ... FAIL. Warning

Oops. Right into the garage shelves, crunch.

I'm still trying to figure this out exactly ... but what I believe happened here is a bad HMI combination of auto-hold being active and trying out this feature for the first couple times.
  1. My wife setup the path and got it to work a couple times. Success
  2. When sitting on the driveway the car asks you to depress the brake pedal to start the process, the pedal is not pressed because of auto-hold.
  3. Apparently if you don't press the brake long enough (?) then the auto-park aborts, you release the brake pedal and the car just starts coasting forward but you think auto-park is running. Then it rolls into the wall.

I'm sure the car is showing some warnings that auto-park is no longer running but the rookie driver is looking out the window a bit worried about the whole thing and not really tactically aware it isn't working.

We now know the auto-park active is shown in the HUD.

I think the GUI should probably be in a little more of red alert mode when the auto-park doesn't engage properly. It's possible to start coasting unaware and there isn't a lot of time to recover in a tight garage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:35 PM   #2
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Luckily it's only the fender which is an easy repaint. Could have been worse had it been the headlight
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #3
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
They do suggest user to monitor it, not completely let it do things by it self. Glad no one was hurt and the damage is relatively minimal.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:47 PM   #4
tscharf
Private
Rep

Most of it just rubbed off, had to do touch up paint on the plastic fender well. All is well.

It's just a bit confusing the first few times you use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 08:51 PM   #5
mysore
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscharf View Post

I'm still trying to figure this out exactly ... but what I believe happened here is a bad HMI combination of auto-hold being active and trying out this feature for the first couple times.

My wife setup the path and got it to work a couple times. Success
When sitting on the driveway the car asks you to depress the brake pedal to start the process, the pedal is not pressed because of auto-hold.
Apparently if you don't press the brake long enough (?) then the auto-park aborts, you release the brake pedal and the car just starts coasting forward but you think auto-park is running. Then it rolls into the wall.

I'm sure the car is showing some warnings that auto-park is no longer running but the rookie driver is looking out the window a bit worried about the whole thing and not really tactically aware it isn't working.

I think the GUI should probably be in a little more of red alert mode when the auto-park doesn't engage properly. It's possible to start coasting unaware and there isn't a lot of time to recover in a tight garage.
Something similar happened to me today. My son had turned on auto-hold over the weekend and I forgot about it. I tried using the recorded path when I got back from work and in both attempts, the car would have hit the garage divider if I had not intervened because it just coasted without getting itself into the recorded path. I failed to understand why, but your reasoning makes sense.

BMW should put some guardrails around auto-hold and recorded path maneuver. I am certain someone else will run into a similar issue as you and I did. Particularly when it works many many times and you let your guard down…
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 09:07 PM   #6
mysore
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysore View Post
Something similar happened to me today. My son had turned on auto-hold over the weekend and I forgot about it. I tried using the recorded path when I got back from work and in both attempts, the car would have hit the garage divider if I had not intervened because it just coasted without getting itself into the recorded path. I failed to understand why, but your reasoning makes sense.

BMW should put some guardrails around auto-hold and recorded path maneuver. I am certain someone else will run into a similar issue as you and I did. Particularly when it works many many times and you let your guard down…
Thinking about it more, the green indicator on the steering wheel had turned off indicating that recorded path maneuver is no longer active, but for some reason I didn’t pay attention to it.. lesson learnt, if the steering wheel green indicator is not on, the driver is in control…
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 12:23 AM   #7
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

I’ve not turned off auto-hold in 4 years and never had a problem with it rolling forward when I take my foot off the brake regardless of whether I’m using a parking assistance feature or not. I mean, auto hold by design only disengages when you apply throttle.

What I suspect is happening is people who don’t usually use auto hold and/or have their seatbelt off (which pauses the recorded path from even starting no matter what) are giving it throttle thinking this is how you begin a recorded path, but this action both cancels out the path and ghost rides the car forward.

I use recorded path every day to park in my garage, it works great… have probably used it 50+ times now and think it’s an invaluable feature. You always have to have your foot on the brake and seatbelt fastened to make it work, regardless of your autohold setting. My only knock on this feature is I wish it would move slightly faster. You definitely have to read the curved display and keep a lookout for any warnings/prompts.

Last edited by Giggler; 11-02-2023 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 06:23 AM   #8
mysore
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
I’ve not turned off auto-hold in 4 years and never had a problem with it rolling forward when I take my foot off the brake regardless of whether I’m using a parking assistance feature or not. I mean, auto hold by design only disengages when you apply throttle.

What I suspect is happening is people who don’t usually use auto hold and/or have their seatbelt off (which pauses the recorded path from even starting no matter what) are giving it throttle thinking this is how you begin a recorded path, but this action both cancels out the path and ghost rides the car forward.

I use recorded path every day to park in my garage, it works great… have probably used it 50+ times now and think it’s an invaluable feature. You always have to have your foot on the brake and seatbelt fastened to make it work, regardless of your autohold setting. My only knock on this feature is I wish it would move slightly faster. You definitely have to read the curved display and keep a lookout for any warnings/prompts.
Question: when you select recorded path after coming to a complete stop ( auto-hold would hold the brakes fo you), how does the recorded path action take effect, I.e., what action initiates the process? Will the act of selecting recorded path disengage auto- hold and move the car?

Without auto-hold the process seems straightforward. We are at complete stop with our foot on brakes, we select recorded path and let go of the brakes and car starts to move.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 07:13 AM   #9
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
I have noticed similar behavior but not because of auto-hold. I was in my driveway and pressed the "park in garage" path which I have successfully used many times and on occasion the car will start moving backward as though it is on the path but it is clearly not following the correct path. Thankfully I have a long way to my garage so I have plenty of time to stop and disengage the auto-park function. I am not 100% sure but I believe there was no "path" highlighted so maybe the car bailed on the auto-park and was just in reverse and started moving when I had disengaged the brake. You would think the system would throw an error that the auto-park feature had failed to find the path or was disengaged. Maybe it did not receive my button press or was confused when I pressed it because of the vehicle location so it never actually engaged auto-park and I was just rolling backward in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 01:16 PM   #10
tscharf
Private
Rep

Yes, I am not exactly sure what disengaged the process. It has happened twice.
Could be user error but the end result is not good, a car coasting which you think is controlled. It doesn't even stop itself when parking sensors know impact is imminent. I'll try to pay closer attention and see what actually happens if it disengages again.
Appreciate 1
Jcit52.50
      11-02-2023, 02:17 PM   #11
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscharf View Post

My wife setup the path and got it to work a couple times. Success
When sitting on the driveway the car asks you to depress the brake pedal to start the process, the pedal is not pressed because of auto-hold.
Apparently if you don't press the brake long enough (?) then the auto-park aborts, you release the brake pedal and the car just starts coasting forward but you think auto-park is running. Then it rolls into the wall.

The red on the front end of the bumper probably can be buffed off by hand get a little bit of compound. I would start off with something less abrasive like some alcohol on a micro cloth and tried to rub that off. Secondly, the damage done to the The wheel trim piece comes off so that can be painted off the car not too much trouble
Appreciate 1
tooloud10786.00
      11-03-2023, 12:08 AM   #12
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysore View Post
Question: when you select recorded path after coming to a complete stop ( auto-hold would hold the brakes fo you), how does the recorded path action take effect, I.e., what action initiates the process? Will the act of selecting recorded path disengage auto- hold and move the car?

Without auto-hold the process seems straightforward. We are at complete stop with our foot on brakes, we select recorded path and let go of the brakes and car starts to move.
It’s the same way with auto-hold enabled. You have to have your foot on the brake and then initialize the recording, then take foot off brake. I think if you have your foot off the brake and try to initialize it, it will prompt you to apply the brakes before beginning. I’m pretty sure this happened to me once, as well as not wearing my seatbelt.

What’s weird is the backup assist is initialized by applying throttle if autohold has the car stopped and you don’t have to have your seatbelt on. Recorded path has the opposite behavior. I can see how people get confused.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 08:40 AM   #13
mysore
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
It’s the same way with auto-hold enabled. You have to have your foot on the brake and then initialize the recording, then take foot off brake. I think if you have your foot off the brake and try to initialize it, it will prompt you to apply the brakes before beginning. I’m pretty sure this happened to me once, as well as not wearing my seatbelt.

What’s weird is the backup assist is initialized by applying throttle if autohold has the car stopped and you don’t have to have your seatbelt on. Recorded path has the opposite behavior. I can see how people get confused.
Thank you, I am now very confused about the sequence of steps that I took that forced the car to disengage recorded path. I will pay more attention next time 🙂
Appreciate 0