BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

2020 U.S. Spec X5 working BMW ConnectedDrive

For all of you Soldiers, DA Civilians, Contractors, and Expats who purchased a U.S. Spec BMW and had it show up in Germany - I want to share something that my sales rep shared with me in Bavaria. I purchased the 2021 X5 from Bavarian Auto Sales (Kesha) and she told me another one of her clients had to do a few things to make a working Idrive7 ConnectedDrive Account register. As soon as the validation comes through in 10-ish days (just took delivery yesterday), I'm going to try it out and verify that it actually works and test a secondary thing.

From the text messages she copied to me, they read as follows:
---------------------------------------------------
"Everything works. I had to send us connected drive my verification documents. I sent them my certificate of origin and temp changed my insurance address to a US one and sent them that. After a few days they emailed me telling me to call to finish setting up the account."

"So it does work lol. They need to make sure their warranty validation has been completed for at least 14 days prior to trying to activate the connected drive"

So... From the sound of it

1. I have to wait 14 days after the warranty validation has happen.

2. I have to get in touch with BMW ConnectedDrive team and send them supporting documents (Certificate of Origin)

3. I have to change my insurance to a U.S. Address and send them the insurance document.

4. Respond to the ConnectedDrive rep email by phone to finish setting everything up.

Since i'm out here in Bavaria for 3 years, it would be nice to have, at minimum, the drive recorder and android auto. It might be a while but i'm going to try this angle and see if it works.

I see there is a X5M that is on here that is U.S. Spec and that user says his way works.... it's not really a step by step and leaves a lot of question when I try to follow it (kudos for the info, glad it works). Hopefully this will also work and be a bit easier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

sorry, forgot the other image from the message chain she forwarded me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
Abdulllh
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks for the thread
I got my car from Canada exported to SaudiArabia
"no ConnectedDrive service here"
I just sent an email to the DE connected drive team asking them to bypass me
The security code that I need to register my car.
My whole purpose here is to get the software update to get Android auto working!

Is there anything else I need to do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
mcd004
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebabies View Post
For all of you Soldiers, DA Civilians, Contractors, and Expats who purchased a U.S. Spec BMW and had it show up in Germany - I want to share something that my sales rep shared with me in Bavaria. I purchased the 2021 X5 from Bavarian Auto Sales (Kesha) and she told me another one of her clients had to do a few things to make a working Idrive7 ConnectedDrive Account register. As soon as the validation comes through in 10-ish days (just took delivery yesterday), I'm going to try it out and verify that it actually works and test a secondary thing.

From the text messages she copied to me, they read as follows:
"Everything works. I had to send us connected drive my verification documents. I sent them my certificate of origin and temp changed my insurance address to a US one and sent them that. After a few days they emailed me telling me to call to finish setting up the account."

"So it does work lol. They need to make sure their warranty validation has been completed for at least 14 days prior to trying to activate the connected drive"

So... From the sound of it

1. I have to wait 14 days after the warranty validation has happen.

2. I have to get in touch with BMW ConnectedDrive team and send them supporting documents (Certificate of Origin)

3. I have to change my insurance to a U.S. Address and send them the insurance document.

4. Respond to the ConnectedDrive rep email by phone to finish setting everything up.
In case anyone is following this thread, I just got ConnectedDrive working on my 2021 US Spec here in Germany by following this steps. All took a little over a month. Hope it helps others as well.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Ya it works i was the first one in Germany to figure it out. I have a whole thread on this from what I tried to how I got it. 2019 December is when I started working on this until January is when I got it working. I emailed CO'S of both NA and DE and complained that this couldnt be accomplished. They then had the bmw connected drive team work with me for a month to get it to work.Your process is almost the same but when I did it I only get copy of US Armed Forces Vehicle Registration. It might have changed since then. Good luck to yall and glad I know I made a difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #6
rubblerubble
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

Tried this this week and received a response:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting BMW Assist Customer Care.

__

Vehicle is a US Spec vehicle. The ConnectedDrive services are delivered by a SIM Card embedded within the vehicle TCU that allows vehicle to connect with all services. This SIM Card is registered for the US market. Therefore, technology will not operate in other countries.

Sincerely,

BMW NA ConnectedDrive Services Customer Care "

Unfortunate. Perhaps maybe I shouldn't mention that the car is overseas hence why insurance needs to be temporarily in the US?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 05:18 PM   #7
mcd004
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubblerubble View Post
Tried this this week and received a response:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting BMW Assist Customer Care.

__

Vehicle is a US Spec vehicle. The ConnectedDrive services are delivered by a SIM Card embedded within the vehicle TCU that allows vehicle to connect with all services. This SIM Card is registered for the US market. Therefore, technology will not operate in other countries.

Sincerely,

BMW NA ConnectedDrive Services Customer Care "

Unfortunate. Perhaps maybe I shouldn't mention that the car is overseas hence why insurance needs to be temporarily in the US?
Correct, don't tell them your car is overseas, instead if they ask give them the US address (cannot be APO/DPO) you used on the Warranty Validation form. Just remember this at all times, and follow the steps above and with some patience you should have your CD drive services activated. Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #8
rubblerubble
Registered
Rep

Changing the insurance address temporarily would be tricky, no? Since international and stateside insurance are pretty much independent on each other, it’s a different policy. Unless it’s different with another provider as I have USAA and that’s how they handle it. I wonder if they validate it, since I actually thought about just manipulating the address to my home address in Texas.

I don’t think I signed a warranty validation form either since car I bought was a demo so can’t really match the address to that one. If I remember correctly, my sales agent mentioned that form is if I were to go back to the states, that’s what I’d fill out to continue the warranty there.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
mcd004
Rep

Quote:
Changing the insurance address temporarily would be tricky, no? Since international and stateside insurance are pretty much independent on each other, it’s a different policy. Unless it’s different with another provider as I have USAA and that’s how they handle it. I wonder if they validate it, since I actually thought about just manipulating the address to my home address in Texas.

I don’t think I signed a warranty validation form either since car I bought was a demo so can’t really match the address to that one. If I remember correctly, my sales agent mentioned that form is if I were to go back to the states, that’s what I’d fill out to continue the warranty there.
If you have USAA you need to request a "Binder" for your car from them. Make sure to tell them you need to change the address on it to a US address. As for the warranty validation, not sure who you bought the vehicle from but it is a empty form that's probably bundled with all the paperwork the dealer gave you. "You're suppose to fill out and submit this form when you return to the US". Basically, by following the steps in this thread you are telling them "you are back in the states", which allows you to activate CD services.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:21 AM   #10
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Just out of curiosity, would this effect warranty services? like if you're registered for the states but your car is still overseas and needs work done.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #11
rubblerubble
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Just out of curiosity, would this effect warranty services? like if you're registered for the states but your car is still overseas and needs work done.
Really curious about this as well. I'm still trying this out, working with the US ConnectedDrive people and I'm just planning on getting it done then if I ever need work done I'll play the dumb game of "how did that happen?"
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #12
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Really curious about this as well. I'm still trying this out, working with the US ConnectedDrive people and I'm just planning on getting it done then if I ever need work done I'll play the dumb game of "how did that happen?"
Don't mean for you to be our guinea pig but would you mind updating this post as time goes on? It would def help myself and I'm sure other forum members as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #13
rubblerubble
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Don't mean for you to be our guinea pig but would you mind updating this post as time goes on? It would def help myself and I'm sure other forum members as well.
Yeah I don't mind. Earlier today, I talked to my dealer and asked them about it. Didn't exactly explain what I'm planning, but basically activating your warranty in the US doesn't invalidate your warranty here in Germany. Gave him a scenario where if I were to ship the car to the states, get the warranty validated and activated then send it right back, the warranty for Europe still works as long as when it comes back it's still within that 2-year warranty period.

Anyway, US ConnectedDrive referred me to their Validations team to validate my warranty so I sent them my Validations Form with my US address along with Certificate of Origin. So this is where I'm at now.
Appreciate 1
JC31674.00
      02-12-2021, 09:14 PM   #14
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I don't mind. Earlier today, I talked to my dealer and asked them about it. Didn't exactly explain what I'm planning, but basically activating your warranty in the US doesn't invalidate your warranty here in Germany. Gave him a scenario where if I were to ship the car to the states, get the warranty validated and activated then send it right back, the warranty for Europe still works as long as when it comes back it's still within that 2-year warranty period.

Anyway, US ConnectedDrive referred me to their Validations team to validate my warranty so I sent them my Validations Form with my US address along with Certificate of Origin. So this is where I'm at now.
Awesome! I hope it works out! I'm cheering for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #15
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

It worked, but not in the way I intended it to work. Timeline:

-Had a chat with ConnectedDrive DE and the rep said it would likely work as a workaround (Over the phone to avoid a paper trail).

-CD USA got back to me with the old "It can't be done - SIM card - Europe" routine.

-I emailed again to the CD USA branch with the following:
"Team,

I'm attempting to add my new BMW X5 to the ConnectedDrive but am running into issues with the following prompt:

"No data was found for this Vehicle Identification Number."

My vin is: 5XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX8

Attached is the Certificate of Origin. Is there a way to manually link the ConnectedDrive services to my account? Any help would be appreciated."

-They responded a week later with "We checked and found out that the vehicle is missing TCU / SIM Card information because it does not have mandatory SA Code S-06AF.
Without SIM information, the vehicle cannot be imported to our system. Please reach out to the dealer for adding the necessary SA codes."

Two weeks later, ~FEB 24, I get an email that the "Vehicle is now mapped to username". Came by a total surprise. Obviously some services don't work but my android auto, apple carplay, and drive recorder are good.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #16
iX52020
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:

-Had a chat with ConnectedDrive DE and the rep said it would likely work as a workaround (Over the phone to avoid a paper trail).

-CD USA got back to me with the old "It can't be done - SIM card - Europe" routine.

"Team,

I'm attempting to add my new BMW X5 to the ConnectedDrive but am running into issues with the following prompt:

"No data was found for this Vehicle Identification Number."

My vin is: 5XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX8

Attached is the Certificate of Origin. Is there a way to manually link the ConnectedDrive services to my account? Any help would be appreciated."

-They responded a week later with "We checked and found out that the vehicle is missing TCU / SIM Card information because it does not have mandatory SA Code S-06AF.
Without SIM information, the vehicle cannot be imported to our system. Please reach out to the dealer for adding the necessary SA codes."

Two weeks later, ~FEB 24, I get an email that the "Vehicle is now mapped to username". Came by a total surprise. Obviously some services don't work but my android auto, apple carplay, and drive recorder are good.
Sent you a PM about this! This is so frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:34 AM   #17
mike3333
Rep
Drives: X5 2021

Quote:

This mirrors my experience.
12 Feb From CD Support USA
We checked and found out that the vehicle is missing TCU / SIM Card information because it does not have mandatory SA Code: 06AF.

25 Feb out of the blue from CD Support USA
We apologize for the inconvenience. Vehicle is now mapped to username:

However, no apps have shown up in the car yet. Do I need to do something other than having more patience?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #18
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3333 View Post
We checked and found out that the vehicle is missing TCU / SIM Card information because it does not have mandatory SA Code: 06AF.

However, no apps have shown up in the car yet. Do I need to do something other than having more patience?
If your connecteddrive app is installed on your phone and the wifi is connected to your X5, the apps should show up in a couple days. I was in the field when the email came in and didn't have access to the car for 2 days. If it isn't enabled after a couple days, I would email them back and ask what happened.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:12 AM   #19
mike3333
Rep

Quote:
If your connecteddrive app is installed on your phone and the wifi is connected to your X5, the apps should show up in a couple days. I was in the field when the email came in and didn't have access to the car for 2 days. If it isn't enabled after a couple days, I would email them back and ask what happened.
Thanks for the info. Are you able to log into connected drive on the vehicle when creating a profile? I was watching this video and never get the ability to log into connected drive. It just asks for a name for the local profile and that's it.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:04 PM   #20
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Are you able to log into connected drive on the vehicle when creating a profile? I was watching this video and never get the ability to log into connected drive. It just asks for a name for the local profile and that's it.

I already created my user account in the iDrive 7 settings and paired it to my key. The wife did the same. This was done prior to any connecteddrive activation. ***///Going outside and checking based on the video you sent\\\*** - It doesn't merge the two for some reason. I'd have to figure out why. Input my email and password - "error occurred" message.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 01:28 AM   #21
mike3333
Rep

Quote:

Closing the loop since I finally got it enabled in case someone was in the same spot I was in: CD mapped to your VIN, but nothing showing up in the Apps screen for a couple of weeks.

The final trick was when I saw the wireframe globe and shield on the display when the car started up over the weekend. I selected it and a popup came up with options to modify some car communication settings. I enabled all settings then magically Carplay and Android auto started working. Perhaps the dealer selected a narrow window when it arrived. Or maybe everyone else on these boards knew this was the obvious last step, but I hadn't seen anyone mention having to change this setting before.

Either way, it was well worth the hassle to get it working. I wish the process were more straightforward, but that's life. It seems like everyone's path to get it working is a different journey.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #22
ladra
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 2021

I'm curious if those of you in Europe has to sign a documents like this regarding BMW Connected Drive not working overseas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0