BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

Downsides of disabling A.S.S in 2021 x40i

So, after a week and a half of having the car, I’m already tired of the A.S.S in my 21 X6. The shutting off the engine part doesn’t bother me, it’s the shudder when it starts back up. I understand the concept of how to use bimmercode to disable the option, but am wanting to know what are the downsides of disabling it. I get that fuel consumption may go up slightly (although I can’t imagine it will change much at all, since most of the time it restarts itself when I’m sitting at a light before I’m ready to go, and I can’t imagine an idling engine uses much gas anyway), but any unexpected consequences or interactions with other systems? Also not sure how it interacts with/affects the 48V mild hybrid system in the 21s. Does it have to be re-enabled before taking it to the dealer for service?

I’m naturally wary of messing with the software of a brand new, expensive, high tech car that’s under warranty and either screwing it up, or causing problems down the road. It’s strange that they deleted the button for the 21s since you can always defeat the function by selecting SPORT mode. It’s just that it’s a pain to do that every time, plus I really don’t want to run in SPORt mode all of the time.

TIA for any insights.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12915.50
      03-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

The ASS system in the 21's is actually pretty damn good.

The "shudder" really isn't there as there is no started motor in a classical sense. Its a very smooth start and impermeable if you have the radio on or are talking with a passenger.

My GF has no idea when the car shuts off or turns back on.

A solution for you can be "sports mode individual" with all the settings on comfort.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i have not experienced start up shudder with active ASS
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Actually owning and driving the car, I have to disagree that the “shudder” isn’t there. If the engine is off when you release the brake when it light goes green, then it’s barely noticeable as the car starts moving forward. But if you’re just sitting there stopped and the engine decides to restart while holding on the brake (I suspect in my case because the air conditioning is running), the car definitely shudders and it is noticeable.

Setting Sport Individual isn’t a good option for me. First, I’m not interested in having to select Sport every time I start the car. Also, I’m not interested in having a dumbed down Sport mode because there are times when I want to select Sport mode and have the real Sport Mode. I know you can multiple button press to get Sport +, but that’s more button mashing.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillbimmer View Post
So, after a week and a half of having the car, I’m already tired of the A.S.S in my 21 X6. The shutting off the engine part doesn’t bother me, it’s the shudder when it starts back up. I understand the concept of how to use bimmercode to disable the option, but am wanting to know what are the downsides of disabling it. I get that fuel consumption may go up slightly (although I can’t imagine it will change much at all, since most of the time it restarts itself when I’m sitting at a light before I’m ready to go, and I can’t imagine an idling engine uses much gas anyway), but any unexpected consequences or interactions with other systems? Also not sure how it interacts with/affects the 48V mild hybrid system in the 21s. Does it have to be re-enabled before taking it to the dealer for service?

I’m naturally wary of messing with the software of a brand new, expensive, high tech car that’s under warranty and either screwing it up, or causing problems down the road. It’s strange that they deleted the button for the 21s since you can always defeat the function by selecting SPORT mode. It’s just that it’s a pain to do that every time, plus I really don’t want to run in SPORt mode all of the time.

TIA for any insights.
Why not try contacting r33_RGSport Ben can probably do it remotely and can answer all your questions from an experience standpoint. sales@rgsport.com or maybe he will see this post and reach out to you
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12915.50
      03-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:

TIA for any insights.
I've disabled mine since first week of ownership.
I never like or understand the idea of ASS.
I think it is more ideal if they have it setup to turn off when you are idle in traffic for more than 30 seconds.
But for on road driving, the engine stop when you do proper stop at any stop sign. Which is very annoying.

So far, I don't notice any MPG drop by not having ASS.
The only thing that is in-tact is my sanity. lol.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I can feel the shudder, but it's VASTLY improved over what it's like in, say, the X3. Which in turn is light years ahead of, say, a 2020 Honda Odyssey.

That said, that was my primary reason for getting Bimmercode a while back was to keep ASS off.

I'm sure the 48 v mild hybrid system helps a little, but ASS kills 12v batteries. I'm sure it's not great for overall wear and tear either. Other than some miniscule improvement in mpg, I don't think there's any good reason to keep it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #8
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
You can use Bimmercode to make the vehicle remember your last driving mode or make other driving mode as default. Many owners make sports individual default as they can dial in the driving characteristics they like. This way you are not disabling ASS and it'll be available if you want to use this option at other times - for instance during highway drive, long trips etc.

I don't mind the ASS during coasting/slowdowns, but don't like it at the traffic light/stop sign; I found instances when it was not a smooth restart. I dislike the brake pulsating feel even more when it tries to regen energy.
      03-03-2021, 08:11 PM   #9
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

I drove a loaner 2021 X5 a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the ASS on the very first stop/start. It is better but still very noticeable and totally ANNOYING!!! More so on the start up after the engine turns off.

I find it odd that people don't notice this right off the bat. Probably because I'm a retired Engineer and am trained to notice these anomalies.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
I get that fuel consumption may go up slightly (although I can’t imagine it will change much at all, since most of the time it restarts itself when I’m sitting at a light before I’m ready to go, and I can’t imagine an idling engine uses much gas anyway)
You would be surprised how much fuel an idling engine can use.
Most tests estimate about 8-10% fuel saving in city driving.
Link
Link
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:41 AM   #11
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
There are no downsides to permanently disabling ASS that you haven't considered (fuel, if your driving MO is stationary traffic). And you're not changing any software with coding, you're flipping a settings switch that is already in the software and should have been in the UI in the first place (and is on most other sane car designs).
      03-04-2021, 05:59 AM   #12
ladra
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 2021

I'm expecting my 2021 40i to arrive in about a month and I'll probably turn off the ASS function with Bimmercode, and I have a quick question for the pros.

I have never used Bimmercode before so please excuse my ignorance but would it be possible to use Bimmercode to display an "on/off ASS" switch on the iDrive menu? My guess is not but I figure it won't hurt to ask the pros.

Thank you in advance for you inputs.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #13
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladra View Post
I'm expecting my 2021 40i to arrive in about a month and I'll probably turn off the ASS function with Bimmercode, and I have a quick question for the pros.

I have never used Bimmercode before so please excuse my ignorance but would it be possible to use Bimmercode to display an "on/off ASS" switch on the iDrive menu? My guess is not but I figure it won't hurt to ask the pros.

No this isn't possible. I'm not sure how it works on MY21 vehicles, but on MY19-20 what you're doing with bimmercode is telling it to remember the last setting. So once you turn of ASS (button next to gear selector, which apparently MY21 does not have) it stays off until you manually turn it back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #14
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
No this isn't possible. I'm not sure how it works on MY21 vehicles, but on MY19-20 what you're doing with bimmercode is telling it to remember the last setting. So once you turn of ASS (button next to gear selector, which apparently MY21 does not have) it stays off until you manually turn it back on.
Just for reference, I think only the 45e doesn’t have it, my 2021 M50i does.
Appreciate 1
VTENGR1052.50
      03-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #15
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
Just for reference, I think only the 45e doesn’t have it, my 2021 M50i does.
The 21 40i models also deleted the ASS button from the console. The V8s still have it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 01:54 PM   #16
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
The 21 40i models also deleted the ASS button from the console. The V8s still have it.
The reason the V8s still have it is because they didn't add the electric motor to the V8s. They only added this to the 6 cylinder engines.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #17
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
I get that fuel consumption may go up slightly (although I can't imagine it will change much at all, since most of the time it restarts itself when I'm sitting at a light before I'm ready to go, and I can't imagine an idling engine uses much gas anyway)
You would be surprised how much fuel an idling engine can use.
Most tests estimate about 8-10% fuel saving in city driving.
Link
Link
Depends on how heavy you are with your accelerator. I have it disabled and did not notice any difference in my average mpg
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:56 PM   #18
GrokuE7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Toyota Tundra Limited

Garage List
2021 BMW X6  [0.00]
What module is it in to disable A.S.S using Bimmercode?
      03-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #19
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladra View Post

Sorry to correct another one of your posts today :-), but modern Bimmercode now has a coding to permanently disable ASS, not just to enable the ASS memory that you described. So it is now possible to have no ASS ever at all in any driving mode right from car startup; works great. Coding ASS memory instead is still possible as well. And when in ASS off coded mode, the ASS button (when present) can be used to turn ASS off and on until the next startup cycle (where it then reverts back to ASS off). It is pretty much all the possible correct ASS control combinations that you would ever want and should have been in the stock ASS UI in the first place.

However, it is correct that no coding currently known adds any ASS control menu (UI) items. Too bad — BMW UI designers had their heads up their asses on this issue.

Now, is this the current record for the most frequent use of the word ASS in one post? 13, I believe ... sorry for being an ass. 14.
      03-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #20
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

ASS is great, just not in cars.
Appreciate 1
cruzer6661237.00
      03-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #21
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Sorry to correct another one of your posts today :-)...
Definitely keeping me on my toes!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #22
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
... Setting Sport Individual isn’t a good option for me. First, I’m not interested in having to select Sport every time I start the car. Also, I’m not interested in having a dumbed down Sport mode because there are times when I want to select Sport mode and have the real Sport Mode. I know you can multiple button press to get Sport +, but that’s more button mashing.
Just asking because I don't know if the new BMWs still have the manual M/S gate (manual/sport) for the gear shift lever...if you do, then that's another way to engage a sport (drivetrain) mode that gives a more aggressive gear shift and engine RPM mapping. If you were to "dumb down" the driving experience "sport mode" by selecting "comfort" in the sport individual settings...the times that you need to be aggressive...you don't have to do the multiple button presses...you can simply flip the gear shift lever over into the M/S gate. You won't have the chassis implementations (tighter steering and damping) if you have those options...but the engine & tranny will go into a sport mode mapping with that simple slap of the lever.

Again, just tossing a suggestion out there if the M/S gate is still being used in the new BMW models. And on the F chassis models...moving the lever over into the M/S gate will disengage the ASS, as well if you haven't coded it off.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0