BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #45
Roberoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M Sport

Thanks for the reply.

Who did you go through to get the B&W or I take it, that’s a new car I order?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #46
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Has anyone actually upgraded their speakers in their G05s? More specifically upgrading the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #47
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberoo View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Who did you go through to get the B&W or I take it, that’s a new car I order?
very few dealers order the B&W system on their sheets or they'll get it on a 'showcase' model that's the most expensive spec'd vehicle on their lot; if you want the system its highly likely you will need to order it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #48
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Has anyone thought about upgrading their HK speakers to anything else like Focal, Eton, BavSound, etc... I have considered installing a sub in the cargo area floor, but that is acting like a gateway to whatevee will improve the overall sound of the entire system. My only caveat is that I want direct replacement speakers that can be uses with the factory HO amplifier and DSP.

I know the G05 is still very new, but I would assume the speakers would be similar to Those in the F15... what are your thoughts?
If you want the best audio then Focal Inside speakers will outperform B&W, B&O and any OEM speaker available on an X5. When you install Focals you can also get the installer to install dampeners on the doors that further enhance the sound. You can also get much higher quality subs.

I used to be a dabbler in high-end audio and I know there is a perception that the B&W or B&O speakers on X5 are audiophile quality. In the end, audio is personal, but based on my experience you can spend the same amound and get much better sound. My X5 has the B&O system and I have 2 B&O beolab speaker systems in my home and the B&O in the X5 isn't even close to being in the same league. The sound is more like a mid range (inexpensive) home audio system. The HK is even worse with very poor clarity.

My 2 cents worth only...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #49
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Has anyone actually upgraded their speakers in their G05s? More specifically upgrading the HK system.
I have the B&O on my F15 X5 and end of this month I am getting Focal speakers. The B&O looks cool but just Ok overall.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #50
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

I have the base HiFi and upgraded to bavsound. Sounds significantly better, but not as good as the HK system in my wife's Merc GLS. I think we have the same number of speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #51
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
I have the base HiFi and upgraded to bavsound. Sounds significantly better, but not as good as the HK system in my wife's Merc GLS. I think we have the same number of speakers
The amp and DSP on the HK system is pretty good. The drivers on the speakers IMHO are so-so.
Appreciate 0