BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #1
GKW
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i, 22 Alpina B8

HUD and Polarized lens - these work!

Hi - I searched a long time to find Polarized lenses that would work with HUD.

These are progressive lens and transitions (progressive as in prescription lenses) and transitions (as in they get darker in brighter light and go clear indoors). They get dark faster than they go clear.

I have been using my first pair for 6 weeks or so and I now never even take them off.

They are NOT as pitch dark as standard sunglasses. BUT - I found the adjustment easy as there is some tint naturally in the windshield. And they do a great job in all light.

As far as I know, there is only one company that makes these and they are not widely carried at Optical stores.

They are made by Essilor. The series is Varilux Comfort. And the Polarized version is the Vantage model.

YMMV, but I ordered my second pair today and can't wait to have a backup pair.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4652.00
      03-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

But do they darken when you are driving?

I thought most Transitions won't work in the car except specific models like Drivewear and XTRActive.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
GKW
Private
Rep

Yes! That's the point! They darken fine, but not as dark as ordinary off-the-shelf sunglasses. And they are polarized so no glare.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #4
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/pr...tions-vantage/

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/pr...r-transitions/

The polarized version does not darken inside the car, the driveware does but it has tint when worn indoors.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

I asked my Optometrist about the Vantage lens and this is what he said.. ..

-- Anytime light reflects off a surface it becomes polarized so therefore the light reaching your eyes from the HUD is polarized. If you wear polarized sunglasses it cancels out and disappears. The Vantage lens is a variable polarization lens and therefore behind the wheel of the car, it is not 100% polarized and thus you can view the HUD. It is a nice lens however you must be happy with at least a solid 20% tint minimum at all times. Some people don’t mind, others do. --

Anyone find this is correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I think it cool that you found an option that you can wear at all times. Personally I do not like transition lenses. They get dark fast and take forever to lighten plus I like to have more chooses in the tint on my sunglasses (maybe that’s why I have 10 pairs). Also I’m nearsighted so 90% of the time I don’t need my prescription, generally I only wear glasses to drive, play golf, cycle, and participate in outdoor activities in the sun.

Totally off topic, the set of glasses I wear to golf have polarized high contrast lenses. I can see the ball on the green from over 250 yards away. I’ve always had amazing vision but developed a astigmatism when I turned 30 and needed to start wearing prescription glasses starting when it got dark. My prescription hasn’t changed in 25 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I believe so. The only way OP can see the HUD is because the glasses were not polarized or only partially polarized.

Vantage like most transition lenses (except Drivewear and XTRActive) is activated by UV light. Our windshield would block off most of the UV light, that's why it would not darken much inside the car. As the amount of polarization is directly proportional to the darkening, there won't be much polarization effect either.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:

-- Anytime light reflects off a surface it becomes polarized so therefore the light reaching your eyes from the HUD is polarized. If you wear polarized sunglasses it cancels out and disappears. The Vantage lens is a variable polarization lens and therefore behind the wheel of the car, it is not 100% polarized and thus you can view the HUD. It is a nice lens however you must be happy with at least a solid 20% tint minimum at all times. Some people don’t mind, others do. --

Correct. If you are looking through polarized glass you won't see the HUD, depending on the degree of polarization, which is why the OP could see partially.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #9
XAmbassador12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Carrera T

Gotten so used to links to products recommended in a post so when the OP’s didn’t include one, I moved on.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Correct. If you are looking through polarized glass you won't see the HUD, depending on the degree of polarization, which is why the OP could see partially.
Right, I get that but was wondering if the lenses never totally clear up when inside like the Optometrist said. I think that would bother me if they stayed around 20% darkened indoors.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Right, I get that but was wondering if the lenses never totally clear up when inside like the Optometrist said. I think that would bother me if they stayed around 20% darkened indoors.
Haven't worn Transitions for years, but when I did there was always some tint to the lenses. Twenty percent sounds about right. I don't recall it being noticeable though - you just get accustomed to it. I think the Vantage lenses are slightly different - and not as dark, but polarized:

https://www.mecnj.com/Content/eyegla...age/index.aspx

as the traditional Transitions though (which might make the XTRActive better for driving) :

https://www.mastereyeassociates.com/...ractive-lenses

Thing is, polarization is good for preventing glare, bad for looking at HUD - sort of mutually exclusive in a car. The Vantage may be an acceptable compromise as long as the UV-blocking qualities of the car windows prevent enough darkening (hence polarization), but darken enough to be effective sunglasses. Neat trick if it works.

Last edited by Paladin1; 03-07-2021 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
If you have "polarized" lenses that work with HUD, then the polarized part is not too good, given the fact that HUD is essentially glare on the windshield.

For driving lenses I found these to be the most versatile; the level of the shade will adjust depending on the amount of light coming through so they will not drive you crazy on a cloudy day where you drive above patches of clouds, then you have sun, etc.

https://www.revantoptics.com/product...y-photochromic
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
GKW
Private
Rep

Hi - I've been away so just wrapping up this thread that I started...

Since this is my first pair of transitions, it was interesting to read more facts about how they work.

I guess my main point is that (for me) these work very well. There is barely any distance in my RX, so maybe that makes a difference.

I find they are quick to darken outside and slow to recover, but they do get clear and I don't really notice unless I'm going from bright sun to a darkened room.

YMMV, but I pick up my second pair this afternoon!

GW
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 03:07 PM   #14
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Pilots don't wear polarized lens for these reasons. Can't see instruments and some glare can be advantageous when flying. Good aviator sunglasses such as Randolph. One of the best sunglass investments you can make.

https://www.randolphusa.com/

Appreciate 1
Russ103308.00