[0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
Could this be why requests for Laguna Seca Blue on the G80/G82 have been denied?
I was going to post this.
Besides Laguna Seca Blue, have any other Individual Manufackor colors been denied such as San Marino Blue?

Wouldn't surprise me if the rumored X8M is released towards the end of March 2023 with the rumored hybrid engine to celebrate 50 years.

BMW M had this billboard at the Ring celebrating 40 years.
I want that image! Looks like the M3 GT2 behind the M1!
      03-06-2021, 10:27 PM   #46
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post
I remember reading about a 3.0M CSE coming in March 2022 on the forums some time ago, wonder if there's any truth to that...
Doubtful. The designers have already said making retro styled cars (such as the 3.0 Hommage Concept) is a sign of brand weakness/being lost, so that won't happen
Yeah, that retro styling on the Z8 was such a failure. It marked a time when the brand was weak and lost. 2001, the worst years of BMW.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      03-06-2021, 11:22 PM   #47
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Yeah, that retro styling on the Z8 was such a failure. It marked a time when the brand was weak and lost. 2001, the worst years of BMW.
Yeah the E46, E39 and E38 were all all just so bad....
      03-07-2021, 01:12 AM   #48
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Very good shout. And here is Markus Flasch hinting (in German) at an M-only vehicle in the very near future. After being asked if it'll be out in under five years, he responded with, "more like in half that time" so that's two years from now. I'd say this all aligns with the above quotes from lemetier.
My understanding is that he more than hints, he more or less states, with a wry smile as he says it, that a «M model only» definitely will come.
«It's not a question» to quote him...
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6232.50
      03-07-2021, 03:46 AM   #49
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
My understanding is that he more than hints, he more or less states, with a wry smile as he says it, that a «M model only» definitely will come.
«It's not a question» to quote him...
Yes sure ... the question only is, what to come from M GmbH? At the time I saw this video for the first time, I instantly thought: "Uh ... he is for sure talking about the XM - or X8M"
So this would be a real let down to me!
Appreciate 2
BMWGirlFL6232.50
stein_325i25051.00
      03-07-2021, 03:58 AM   #50
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
Quote:
My understanding is that he more than hints, he more or less states, with a wry smile as he says it, that a "M model only" definitely will come.
"It's not a question" to quote him...
Yes sure ... the question only is, what to come from M GmbH? At the time I saw this video for the first time, I instantly thought: "Uh ... he is for sure talking about the XM - or X8M"
So this would be a real let down to me!
That would be the ultimate letdown if that would be the case.

However, if we look at the hints from lemetier, the head of design's statements in the Supercarblondie video as well as the context of what they are talking about in that German YouTube video, it corresponds to more of a traditional M-type of car.

My guess (hope) is that it will be a special model based on a production platform, but with the P58 engine, transaxle transmission and hybrid technology. Like the test mule we saw last year at the Nürburgring.

After all, May 1st 2022 is the 50th anniversary of BMW M and the E9 3.0 CSL
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6232.50
      03-07-2021, 04:20 AM   #51
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Isetta M-version, please!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 04:33 AM   #52
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Press releases seem to confirm at least 2.
Quote:
Markus Flasch kündigt schon jetzt „ein Jahr voller Überraschungen“ an: „Wenn ich das Stichwort Sondermodelle nenne, wird wahrscheinlich schon klar, worauf sich unsere Kunden zum Jubiläum besonders freuen können.“
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/deuts...e-ausgeliefert
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 04:42 AM   #53
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Very good shout. And here is Markus Flasch hinting (in German) at an M-only vehicle in the very near future. After being asked if it'll be out in under five years, he responded with, "more like in half that time" so that's two years from now. I'd say this all aligns with the above quotes from lemetier.
My understanding is that he more than hints, he more or less states, with a wry smile as he says it, that a "M model only" definitely will come.
Don't understand the last sentence but we're saying the same
      03-07-2021, 05:06 AM   #54
TheStanman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
And will most likely be the last non electric/hybrid.

All the people complaining are stuck in the past (not saying it's a bad thing) but the truth is sticks have been dying for years, small fraction of sales are manual transmission now, sports cars and super cars. Gas engines are next to die and it's coming quicker than people think. Look at Mercedes, Audi and Porsche will be next and I bet BMW is last to fall of the Europeans. Jaguar and Volvo already said they are going all electric sooner than later.
Audi and Mercedes are definitely fully embracing the future of vehicles. Porsche is taking a dual-pronged approach, making the best driving EVs and "old-school cars" (NA, dual-clutch/manual, minimal weight gain). I feel like BMW is kind of floundering in the middle, doing neither side particularly well.

Their EVs are subpar, largely because they're not investing in dedicated EV platform. And they've alienated the "old school" enthusiast offerings due to numb feeling cars, big weight gain, and abandoning bespoke components like DCT. I do appreciate the manual but that's mostly just a carry-over.

It's going to be really interesting to see how all this plays out over the next decade and what approach is most successful.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
      03-07-2021, 06:34 AM   #55
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Would be cool to see the old CSL M stripes, mesh wheels, or even the big rear wing
1972 -2022

The early years, featuring Jochen Neerpasch (what a ///Man). About the colors: 02:00-02:50 (note: for sure he meant "the Bavarian colors" instead of "the Bahrein colors"):

The only marketing back then: show up at a race track and give it the beans. How the car performs is what matters in the end + form follows function (rather than form follows marketing):

Some more throwback trivia:
"Why is the later 3.0 CSL sometimes referred to as the "Batmobile"?
In addition to the standard front airdam and rear spoiler, 3.2-liter CSL models could be fitted with a removable "racing kit" consisting of an air guide mounted above the rear window and an enlarged rear spoiler, both designed to increase downforce on the competition machines. The addition of these rather striking appendages resulted in the nickname "Batmobile". Because these items were required on the road version for homologation purpose but could not be installed at the factory due to a conflict with various European laws, they were supplied as the removable kit."
(source: here)

"The BMW 3.0 was powered by a 3.0 liter six-cylinder engine that produced 180 horsepower. Displacement size was increased to 3.2-liters beginning in 1973, though it still retained the '3.0 CSL' name. Neerpasch and Braqungart improved the vehicles downforce by adding a deep front air dam, increased the fenders, and added a trunk-lip spoiler. A very large rear wing earned it the nickname, the 'Batmobile' The cars did not leave the factory with the wing since they were illegal for road use. The company sold the vehicles with these accessories enclosed in the trunk of the car. They were not installed on the vehicle as they left the factory, but left up to the customer to assemble. In this fashion, the company was able to side-step the homologation process."
(source: here)
The removable "racing kit":

RugbyBro7572.50
      03-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #56
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't understand the last sentence but we're saying the same
Was perhaps a bit unclear.

The quote «It's not a question» was his response to if there will be such a special model. Meaning it wasn't just a case study, but that there was a firm decision to make the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #57
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Suuuuuuuuure. The best BMW's gonna do is a flashier upholstery, more <insert "special" edition name here> badges, +20-25k$ increase in sticker price, a few "individual" (loud skittles) colors and a N'ring embroidery on the headrest and a few more places.

Most importantly, no performance upgrades whatsoever!
      03-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #58
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:

When he says "Sondermodell(e)", I think he means "CS" and/or "CSL", not "totally bespoke crazy M car like the M1".

So my guess it there will be the "M only" X8M, and the (foreseen by yngoldyn) CSL (M4 based I guess? Or maybe M8?), possibly with the P58 and additional racing goodies as hinted at by Lemetier.

That would already be much more than "just some new exterior colors and interior stitching with a 20k markup", but I have to admit that this could just as well be a "Sondermodell" (and a letdown), let's see.
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6232.50
      03-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #59
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post
I remember reading about a 3.0M CSE coming in March 2022 on the forums some time ago, wonder if there's any truth to that...
Doubtful. The designers have already said making retro styled cars (such as the 3.0 Hommage Concept) is a sign of brand weakness/being lost, so that won't happen
It still baffles me that the designers would make such ridiculous comments as that. Do they not realize BMW owns two brands (RR and Mini) whose whole design ethos is based on retro cars?

They even admitted in the interview that the concepts received positive reactions from press and customers, yet they don't want to do it. :

Meanwhile, Ford made a new retro-styled Bronco, and received hundreds of thousands of pre-orders, and Mercedes' retro-styled G-Wagon is so in demand and sought after that its sold out for two model years with ADM's as high as $75k.

But ok BMW, make an X8M, because apparently designing a retro-styles sports car would mean the brand would be more lost doing that than making a two ton plus X8 M flagship SUV.
      03-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #60
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
The 50th Anniversary of Bmw ///Motorsport and launch of the E9 3.0 CSL is May 1, 2022.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
How does BMW ///M 3.0CSe sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
  • M4 CSL is possible with SOP 07/22 and a very short production run.
So, for 2022 a CSe for the wealthy few and a CSL for the mere mortals ?

BMW M boss Markus Flasch recently on Instagram:
Name:  MF_BMW_M_Vaults.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  169.0 KB
Name:  BMW_CSL_OriginOfSpecies.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  47.9 KB
GerryM5249.50
      03-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #61
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Markus Flasch kündigt schon jetzt „ein Jahr voller Überraschungen“ an: „Wenn ich das Stichwort Sondermodelle nenne, wird wahrscheinlich schon klar, worauf sich unsere Kunden zum Jubiläum besonders freuen können.“
Here's the official English version (source: here):
Quote:
With this setting of agenda with which the “Power of Choice” strategy has been realised within the model range of the BMW M GmbH, and an exceptionally strong product range, the company is heading full of optimism for the forthcoming anniversary year. 2022 will be the year in which the BMW M GmbH celebrates 50 years of its existence. Markus Flasch has already announced “a year full of surprises”: “If I mention the keyword special edition models, it should be clear what our customers can look forward to during the anniversary year.”
      03-07-2021, 08:59 AM   #62
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
Isetta M-version, please!
Here you go: take an Isetta, add some M livery and M badges + charge the "M tax".

Name:  Isetta_M.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  73.2 KB
      03-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #63
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
1972 -2022

The early years, featuring Jochen Neerpasch (what a ///Man). About the colors: 02:00-02:50 (note: for sure he meant "the Bavarian colors" instead of "the Bahrein colors"):

The only marketing back then: show up at a race track and give it the beans. How the car performs is what matters in the end + form follows function (rather than form follows marketing):

[/IMG]
Also highly recommend this documentary. Saw it in 2015 in the cinema. It's available on Vimeo for a few quid.

03-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #64
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Gaudy interior like the Jahre and unwanted headrest embroidery for an ungodly sum I'm sure
Brother from another mother.

The amount of M badging and general gaudiness in the M's is just a turn-off.

As an example, the M5 should be this super luxurious stealth road rocket barely discernible from a regular 5 on the outside - except for 3 things (quad exhaust tips, the side marker lights, and the M5 logo).

Instead, it seems to be something that has an insane amount of gaudiness (red paddle shifters, red ignition button, really?) and M logos plastered everywhere (case in point, the new M5 has illuminated M5 badges just below the headrest - wtf seriously why?)

<end rant>
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 01:17 AM   #65
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Gaudy interior like the Jahre and unwanted headrest embroidery for an ungodly sum I'm sure
Brother from another mother.

The amount of M badging and general gaudiness in the M's is just a turn-off.

As an example, the M5 should be this super luxurious stealth road rocket barely discernible from a regular 5 on the outside - except for 3 things (quad exhaust tips, the side marker lights, and the M5 logo).

Instead, it seems to be something that has an insane amount of gaudiness (red paddle shifters, red ignition button, really?) and M logos plastered everywhere (case in point, the new M5 has illuminated M5 badges just below the headrest - wtf seriously why?)

<end rant>
People that spend 100k on a car don't always want subtle.

That being said, the F90 isn't bad - park one next to an M Sport 5 series and I doubt most people would know the difference.
      03-08-2021, 04:51 AM   #66
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

An another limited edition model. Just what we needed.

BMW is of cars what Panerai is to watches.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0