BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-06-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Arrow 2021 Samsung 4K TVs

samsung recently debuted its new 2021 4k line up: q60a, q70a, and q80a.
i don't game and the tv will only be used to watch apple tv and netflix mostly.

for $1,300 would you rather have:
q60a 70"
q70a 65"

the only difference i see on the q70a model is 120hz. to my understanding the refresh only applies when console gaming as tv and movies are all filmed at either 30 or 60fps.
      03-06-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
FizzyElf
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X30e on order

I had a Samsung previously. Everything about it was buggy. Went with a Sony and it’s way better.
Clark_Kent2208.00
E92inNC1704.50
TiMSport12786.50
      03-07-2021, 12:12 AM   #3
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Is Samsung still trying to stick to their QLED tech? When will they align with OLED?
      03-07-2021, 01:54 AM   #4
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
samsung recently debuted its new 2021 4k line up: q60a, q70a, and q80a.
i don't game and the tv will only be used to watch apple tv and netflix mostly.

for $1,300 would you rather have:
q60a 70"
q70a 65"

the only difference i see on the q70a model is 120hz. to my understanding the refresh only applies when console gaming as tv and movies are all filmed at either 30 or 60fps.
I'd still go with 120hz or more if its available in the price range you want to spend. Gaming or not, the faster refresh rate will be better for fast paced movies, anything in HD, 2K or 4K.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2021, 02:44 AM   #5
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Go with the best level you can. It’s not just refresh rate but processor speed, backlighting (one zone or multiple zones), etc. size is definitely important but I have a Q60 for a daytime office TV and it’s fine. But if this is going to be your main TV, I would probably look/ wait for a sale if a few hundred dollars is important to you and get at least the 80 series or higher. Just my $.02 based on a bunch of factors that affect picture quality.
Appreciate 2
FizzyElf133.00
      03-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
gtr2M3
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
Is Samsung still trying to stick to their QLED tech? When will they align with OLED?
That is unlikely to ever happen.

QLED has a significantly brighter picture which is what matters in brighter rooms and the blacks in the Q80 and higher are excellent

It also doesn’t suffer from burn in

In a dark room and for a videophile, OLED would likely be a better choice
Appreciate 2
shimmy232330.00
      03-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Sort of OT but will ask it here. I have a Panasonic Plasma, last one they made, image is amazing.

I have an LED in basement, high end Hisense model, brother in law has two samsung LED. All 3 LED images look insanely fake, I have looked up the issue and it seems to me to be "soap opera effect" where the objects in the foreground do not look attached to the images in the background. For example, Star Wars blue ray, on the plasma it looks good for 1977 but on the LED sets, there is this unnatural look to foreground items like saw a starship, it seems detached from the rest of the image.

I am not really explaining it right but I cannot get past it, it really ruins the experience for me.

On my set, I have turned off EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING related to Soap opera Effect as per instructions on the web. But I am not sold this is the issue as it perists despite me turning off all related settings.

Firstly, are y'all aware of what I am referring to? Why is the plasma so natural and the LEDs are all so......fake?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #8
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Sort of OT but will ask it here. I have a Panasonic Plasma, last one they made, image is amazing.

I have an LED in basement, high end Hisense model, brother in law has two samsung LED. All 3 LED images look insanely fake, I have looked up the issue and it seems to me to be "soap opera effect" where the objects in the foreground do not look attached to the images in the background. For example, Star Wars blue ray, on the plasma it looks good for 1977 but on the LED sets, there is this unnatural look to foreground items like saw a starship, it seems detached from the rest of the image.

I am not really explaining it right but I cannot get past it, it really ruins the experience for me.

On my set, I have turned off EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING related to Soap opera Effect as per instructions on the web. But I am not sold this is the issue as it perists despite me turning off all related settings.

Firstly, are y'all aware of what I am referring to? Why is the plasma so natural and the LEDs are all so......fake?
I felt this way on older LEDs. Haven't noticed it on anything relatively newer
      03-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 235i m

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyElf View Post
I had a Samsung previously. Everything about it was buggy. Went with a Sony and it’s way better.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #10
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

Definitely the 120hz. Too much money to pay for a 60hz tv.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #11
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Quote:

I have an old school 64' Panasonic G25 plasma and 65' Samsung FT85. Both phenomenal TV's. Have an itch for something new, but these two have been bullet proof.

What you're experiencing is called motion control or motion smoothing. It's a problem for many LCDs. Sometimes they can't render fast movie scenes properly and they get blurry, or the image judders when panning. Motion control / motion smoothing fixes this by increasing the frame right or inserting black frames causing that smooth soap opera effect. It's horseshit. Hate it.

Disable this in your menu function. Might be called motion control, motion smoothing, motion flow, motion plus, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
What you're experiencing is called motion control or motion smoothing. It's a problem for many LCDs. Sometimes they can't render fast movie scenes properly and they get blurry, or the image judders when panning. Motion control / motion smoothing fixes this by increasing the frame right or inserting black frames causing that smooth soap opera effect. It's horseshit. Hate it.

Disable this in your menu function. Might be called motion control, motion smoothing, motion flow, motion plus, etc.
I have disabled EVERYTHING related to motion smoothing but what I am seeing is not just in fast movie scenes. Foreground and backgrounds look very separated, almost like a weak 3D. It is so disconcerting and I see it on all 3 LED i frequently use, i cannot stand the look. Even the wife, WHO CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENC EBETWEEN HD AND SD, instantly sees the difference when we move from one TV to another.

Best example is the STar Wars remastered blu-ray of the original trilogy. We used the same blu ray player but on the LED the speeder, even standing still, looks like someone is controlling it with string it is so damn fake. On the plasma, 100 times better.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...ung-tv-381583/

EDIT: Just did more searching but with new terms and yeah still seems like a "motion setting" issue but I have turned absolutely everything off.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #13
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Two weeks ago my 5/6 year old Samsung finally hit the bit and I was researching for a new one. This is for the 2020s cuz they 21s weren’t in stores yet but I landed on the Q80T, only a bit pricier than a Q70T but has variable refresh rate for sports and gaming. Best Buy often has $100-200 sales on them so just wait for it if you can. I ended up going with an LG 55CX OLED and am very happy with it so far.

Samsung is coming out with micro-LED this year and it’s supposed to compete with OLED. Like all new tech, if it turns out good I might get it in a few years once the bugs are fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #14
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Quote:
I have disabled EVERYTHING related to motion smoothing but what I am seeing is not just in fast movie scenes. Foreground and backgrounds look very separated, almost like a weak 3D. It is so disconcerting and I see it on all 3 LED i frequently use, i cannot stand the look. Even the wife, WHO CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENC EBETWEEN HD AND SD, instantly sees the difference when we move from one TV to another.

Best example is the STar Wars remastered blu-ray of the original trilogy. We used the same blu ray player but on the LED the speeder, even standing still, looks like someone is controlling it with string it is so damn fake. On the plasma, 100 times better.

EDIT: Just did more searching but with new terms and yeah still seems like a "motion setting" issue but I have turned absolutely everything off.

Ouch that's unfortunate. You may want to try searching the AVS Forums. Those folks put professionals to shame with their audio visual knowledge.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      03-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #15
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:

Used to have a pioneer pro plasma and was worried about that same issue, don’t notice this at all with my Panasonic OLED (family room) or LG OLED (basement) slight effect on the LG LED in the master bedroom and the LG LED in my daughter’s bedroom and more noticeable on the Hisense LED in the spare bedroom.

It’s tough to compare what was a higher end set (your Panny plamsa) to a budget LED even though the panny is years older.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #16
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyElf View Post
the only tv in my entire life that i've had fail after 1 year of usage was a sony...

samsungs are bulletproof, LGs are close 2nd.

In any case... at this point and time, it's oled or bust... the black colors really do make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #17
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr2M3 View Post
That is unlikely to ever happen.

QLED has a significantly brighter picture which is what matters in brighter rooms and the blacks in the Q80 and higher are excellent

It also doesn’t suffer from burn in

In a dark room and for a videophile, OLED would likely be a better choice
Are there good quality TVs out there still that suffer from burn in?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #18
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
the only tv in my entire life that i've had fail after 1 year of usage was a sony...

samsungs are bulletproof, LGs are close 2nd.

In any case... at this point and time, it's oled or bust... the black colors really do make a difference.
Not sure when you bought your Sony or what model it was, but I have always bought Sony and they've all been great.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #19
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Not sure when you bought your Sony or what model it was, but I have always bought Sony and they've all been great.
From Best Buy... 1 year of usage and screen blacked out and it would never turn on again... once i started looking at service costs... twas time to let it go for something newer.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Have you tried searching online to see if there were any professional reviews of your model TV or on the forums where calibration settings were posted. I have a Hisense 42" in my bedroom and a 55" TCL at my vacation home. I found calibration settings for both and the adjustments made a dramatic difference with the picture quality. It's not the same as having a pro do an ISF calibration but it's good enough.

This is why it just pains me that few people ever bother to dial in their TVs the correct way.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #21
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I am pretty good at tweaking things to look realistic, i tend to back off the sharpening, back off the noise reduction, tweak the colours so the primaries are accurate etc...but this dang puppetry i see is like a tick on my eye.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Sure. You can probably get in the ball park with eyeballing it. But there's a reason all the pros use a meter to do their calibrations. And I guarantee you that you're not going to get close to what these guys can do using a good meter.

For my Hisense TV, the calibration settings I found had a ton of adjustments just for the white balance.
Appreciate 0