BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-06-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 X40i M Sport

DAPP vs HK take it or wait???

So I have a decision to make and looking for some feedback.

I have a build scheduled for WK14.

My dealer contacted me today and stated they have another build coming in this week with the exact same build as one I ordered, except for the DAPP.

Due to the recent shortages and delays, my ordered build, the HK system seems like it was removed and it will come with w HiFi system but will include the DAPP.

I only commute about 15 mins a day to and from work with some weekend driving. This will be a leased vehicle. Without the DAPP, does the cruise control still have the blinking steering wheel and lane departure features?

I know that the HK system is nothing spectacular from what I have read, but it is much better than the standard Hifi system. So I kind of want the HK system.

I can wait and gamble that the HK systems start showing up again and wait another 5-6 weeks for the build I submitted with the DAPP for sure, or I can forego the DAPP and take possession of the one with the HK system this week.

If I knew the HK system was going to be built, I would just wait it out. But with the way things are going, who knows. And I really dont want to put an aftermarket stereo in a leased vehicle.

Decisions....

Feedback?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
zztops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i (N26) F30 M SPORT

Easier to upgrade speakers than adding DAPP.
Appreciate 2
TREKER61.50
jonatious249.50
      03-06-2021, 06:12 PM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

I also lease, have both options but value the benefits of Active Driving Assistant Professional (SA 5AU) more.

Here's a quick visual of what's standard and what 5AU adds including visual steering wheel indicators for driving system assistance status:

With the optional equipment Active Driving Assistant Professional (SA 5AU) there is an LED above both the left and the right control pads on the MFL.

The two LEDs provide additional visual indicators to the instructions issued in the instrument cluster and the Central Information Display.

• Green: The assistance system is active and assumes lateral guidance (does not apply to the US market)
• Yellow: Interruption of the assistance system pending
• Red: The assistance system is deactivated

The LED indicators are used in conjunction when Extended traffic jam assistant is active (under 40mph)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TREKER61.50
JC31674.00
      03-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztops View Post
Easier to upgrade speakers than adding DAPP.
Hifi system will require more than just speakers, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
I also lease, have both options but value the benefits of Active Driving Assistant Professional (SA 5AU) more.

Here's a quick visual of what's standard and what 5AU adds including visual steering wheel indicators for driving system assistance status:

With the optional equipment Active Driving Assistant Professional (SA 5AU) there is an LED above both the left and the right control pads on the MFL.

The two LEDs provide additional visual indicators to the instructions issued in the instrument cluster and the Central Information Display.

• Green: The assistance system is active and assumes lateral guidance (does not apply to the US market)
• Yellow: Interruption of the assistance system pending
• Red: The assistance system is deactivated

The LED indicators are used in conjunction with Extended traffic jam assistant.
Very informative. Thank you. Of course I would like to have the extra bells and whistles, but would you wait another 5-6 weeks and also roll dice that there would be no HK sound system when you did get it?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREKER View Post
Hifi system will require more than just speakers, no?
If you are buying (not leasing) then you can add Focal Inside amp + speakers and you’ll end up at least as good as the B&W if not better. But it will also cost you B&W money. If you don’t want to go Focal there are other options that are plug and play with G05. It’s easy and likely you’ll do better than HK.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #7
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

It’s a personal choice. There are some people who dont like using assistive systems for driving, but most do these days. As others said, you can upgrade speakers after market if you wanted to, but can not with DAPP. Go for the car without DAPP only if you absolutely do not need the assistance
Appreciate 1
TREKER61.50
      03-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #8
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
DAPP or HK won't be must have options for me as neither is perfect. Go with your heart. Could your work place move 50 miles away next year? If so DAPP is likely to come in handy. If no and you are hardly ever going to use DAPP HK would be a daily use option.
Appreciate 1
TREKER61.50
      03-06-2021, 08:12 PM   #9
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
DAPP or HK won't be must have options for me as neither is perfect. Go with your heart. Could your work place move 50 miles away next year? If so DAPP is likely to come in handy. If no and you are hardly ever going to use DAPP HK would be a daily use option.
Yep! I could wait for the build and have a stereo and DAPP. Just not the HK.

I guess I wanted to know if the Hifi system is really that bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #10
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:

The best option would be for you to hear it for yourself at a dealership. I dont think it would be that bad compared to HK. BMW would not be having a bad speaker system as standard on a $70+k car. Also I think the HK is not significantly better than the HiFi system. B&W is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 01:07 AM   #11
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post

I listened to both of them today and i must say hifi on x5 is pathetic. I don't have an ear for high fidelity sound systems but when i heard hifi i knew something is way off. I found HK good enough for my ears and thats subjective but hifi does not belongs to this vehicle. I have hifi on my 4 series and i was content with it which makes me think my expectations were not much to start with and it failed miserably with hifi in X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 03:20 AM   #12
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

If you use active cruise systems a lot, and like that kind of autonomy in your driving, then the DAP is a no brainer.

it also might save your life, or at least help avoid an accident.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 06:10 AM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
If you use active cruise systems a lot, and like that kind of autonomy in your driving, then the DAP is a no brainer.

it also might save your life, or at least help avoid an accident.
The driver assist implementation on the latest X5 and X7 is quite impressive. I hope BMW keeps providing updates to it. If I were OP, I'd take the DAP and upgrade my speakers on my own.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101164.00
volodp196.50
      03-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #14
TREKER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffrey View Post
The driver assist implementation on the latest X5 and X7 is quite impressive. I hope BMW keeps providing updates to it. If I were OP, I'd take the DAP and upgrade my speakers on my own.
This is a lease and I do not plan on having to modify the vehicle at all.

As much as I would like the DAPP, I think I am leaning towards taking the vehicle this week with the guaranteed HK system and not chance on getting the Hifi.

I have some of the DAPP features on my SQ5 and I hardly use it. Nice gimmicky option which adds safety, but I like to drive my vehicles. So unless something changes in the next few days I think I may just go for the build coming in this week.
Appreciate 0