BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Question Sound System Upgrades

Has anyone thought about upgrading their HK speakers to anything else like Focal, Eton, BavSound, etc... I have considered installing a sub in the cargo area floor, but that is acting like a gateway to whatevee will improve the overall sound of the entire system. My only caveat is that I want direct replacement speakers that can be uses with the factory HO amplifier and DSP.

I know the G05 is still very new, but I would assume the speakers would be similar to Those in the F15... what are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Has anyone thought about upgrading their HK speakers to anything else like Focal, Eton, BavSound, etc... I have considered installing a sub in the cargo area floor, but that is acting like a gateway to whatevee will improve the overall sound of the entire system. My only caveat is that I want direct replacement speakers that can be uses with the factory HO amplifier and DSP.

I know the G05 is still very new, but I would assume the speakers would be similar to Those in the F15... what are your thoughts?
I looked at and researched bavsound... they have a full set of speakers and subs compatible with the G05, they have a lot of good reviews but honestly haven't ordered it or installed it on my previous bmws
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 01:35 AM   #3
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

I had never heard of Bavsound before I joined this forum. But I have heard focal before and thought it was pretty good. But, for me, it is all about comparability and increasing the sound quality utilizing only drop in replacements. (Meaning no additional external amplifier for the highs and mids).

I have also read on the F15 threads that some people like the BavSound and some say it didn’t make much difference... Has anyone else heard either of these systems?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Msport

Quote:
I had never heard of Bavsound before I joined this forum. But I have heard focal before and thought it was pretty good. But, for me, it is all about comparability and increasing the sound quality utilizing only drop in replacements. (Meaning no additional external amplifier for the highs and mids).

I have also read on the F15 threads that some people like the BavSound and some say it didn't make much difference... Has anyone else heard either of these systems?
I'm researching Bavsound at the moment. I have the base HIFI system though. Their amps are already tuned for our vehicle and seem to be an easy replacement. I'm told (by Bavsound) that just their amp will have a dramatic effect on the system and I'm leaning toward starting with that. I think they have a 100 day try out period. Not sure how that works, but if it's an honest policy with no hangups......not much to lose.
I suspect the results would be different coming from the HK system, bc the amp is probably already outputting more power, so I'd contact them with questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

So I looked at BavSound site and they don’t have an upgraded amp for the G05 with HK. The donhave the drop in speakers and ghost subs though...

But the Focal IFBMW-S (https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...l-bmwr/ifbmw-s) look pretty good too... hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwGk View Post
I'm researching Bavsound at the moment. I have the base HIFI system though. Their amps are already tuned for our vehicle and seem to be an easy replacement. I'm told (by Bavsound) that just their amp will have a dramatic effect on the system and I'm leaning toward starting with that. I think they have a 100 day try out period. Not sure how that works, but if it's an honest policy with no hangups......not much to lose.
I suspect the results would be different coming from the HK system, bc the amp is probably already outputting more power, so I'd contact them with questions.
I am REALLY trying to figure out if the BavSound stage 1 is really that much of an upgrade for $1K, or stage 2 for $1.5K... apparently the NavSound amplifier does not work with the HK system so that would’ve been an easy upgrade...

There are also Focal speakers that should just drop right in as well. And Parts Express also has some dedicated BMW speakers and subs. I wonder if there is any difference between the BavSound, Parts Express, and the Focal offerings?

The Focal: https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/integration/plugplay/focal-bmwr/ifbmw-s

Parts Express: https://www.parts-express.com/bmw

BavSound: https://www.bavsound.com

There has to be someone here who has heard more that one system and can give advice on the best way to upgrade the HK system.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwGk View Post
Cool. I may go with just the amp. I watched their youtube video on replacing speakers on a G30 (5 series) and quite frankly I don't want to do that amount of disassembly on a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
Cool. I may go with just the amp. I watched their youtube video on replacing speakers on a G30 (5 series) and quite frankly I don't want to do that amount of disassembly on a brand new car.
The G30 in their video is mine.
Since that video, I took apart my interior 3 different times and no noises, creaking or knocking.
I even installed BavSound to other BMW, includes a week old F90 M5, with no issues after almost a year old (I still see the customer recently for more mods).
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #9
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Since that video, I took apart my interior 3 different times and no noises, creaking or knocking.
I even installed BavSound to other BMW, includes a week old F90 M5, with no issues after almost a year old (I still see the customer recently for more mods).
So is the BavSound really that good? Or is it more of an upgrade for those who only have the base system and not the HK?

Any experience with any other brands? (And not just because you are a BavSound dealer?)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:18 AM   #10
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
So is the BavSound really that good? Or is it more of an upgrade for those who only have the base system and not the HK?

Any experience with any other brands? (And not just because you are a BavSound dealer?)
I have BAVSound stage 1 in my F15 that came with H/K. It’s noticeably better, especially the ghost subs if you like to listen with your music loud. I liked it enough to order it for my wife’s X5 as well. Like most audio, it is very subjective.

Focal does not show a plug and play option for F15 or G05 so I don’t think that’s an option for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #11
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
I have BAVSound stage 1 in my F15 that came with H/K. It’s noticeably better, especially the ghost subs if you like to listen with your music loud. I liked it enough to order it for my wife’s X5 as well. Like most audio, it is very subjective.

Focal does not show a plug and play option for F15 or G05 so I don’t think that’s an option for you.
Thanks for this input. I appreciate it.

I called a Focal rep and was told that if the install was the same as the F15, it would be plug and play. But I’m not sure how good those are. They also have replacement under seat subs as well...

I have also been doing a lot of reading up on a brand called Eton. I guess it is also supposed to be plug and play...

https://www.eton-gmbh.com/fileadmin/...st_bmw_web.pdf

As far as the ghost subs, is it true that you have to turn the volume up significantly higher than normal to get the additional bass from them? What about the sensitivity of the BavSound speakers? Are they about the same as stock - volume wise?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Surprised they didn't get the B&W system in their M5 considering it's a trivial cost on a $110k car.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So far I only been using and had experience with BavSound.
Unless other brands willing to give me a free set, I am not going to spend my own money to do a review or testing for them.
I believe BavSound pioneering the idea of plug and play speaker upgrade for BMW and Mini, then others followed.
Improvement wise, it is a noticeable upgrade. Both in HK or Base Hi-Fi system. More noticeable in HK IMO though since the amp is stronger.
With that saying, for base Hi-Fi, amp upgrade also required.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Surprised they didn't get the B&W system in their M5 considering it's a trivial cost on a $110k car.
Car was bought off the lot. Some people don't have the patience to order a car.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #15
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Car was bought off the lot. Some people don't have the patience to order a car.
Makes sense, I'm still surprised most aren't ordered by dealers optioned that way. I've yet to see an M5 by me without the system or a M760i because at those price points it should be standard
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense, I'm still surprised most aren't ordered by dealers optioned that way. I've yet to see an M5 by me without the system or a M760i because at those price points it should be standard
You'll be surprised how stupid some of the guys who worked at the dealer that got assigned to do the ordering.

When my F15 X5 lease was up, my dealer offer me a nice deal on F85 X5M.
But, I couldn't pull the trigger since all of their F85 X5M in stock are without LED light package.
How can I go from F15 X5 sDrive35i with LED light package to F85 X5M without LED light package?
Audio wise, I could careless since I can always do upgrade, while LED light, it will cost me so much and a lot of work to do a retrofit or an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #17
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Why not just opt for the factory offering of BW audio?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #18
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You'll be surprised how stupid some of the guys who worked at the dealer that got assigned to do the ordering.

When my F15 X5 lease was up, my dealer offer me a nice deal on F85 X5M.
But, I couldn't pull the trigger since all of their F85 X5M in stock are without LED light package.
How can I go from F15 X5 sDrive35i with LED light package to F85 X5M without LED light package?
Audio wise, I could careless since I can always do upgrade, while LED light, it will cost me so much and a lot of work to do a retrofit or an upgrade.
Where are you located to have such a great dealer /s most dealers I've seen are atrocious
Appreciate 1
skullman132.50
      01-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where are you located to have such a great dealer /s most dealers I've seen are atrocious
Los Angeles area.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #20
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Los Angeles area.
that's surprising is expect them to fully option a lot more than under option.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #21
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that's surprising is expect them to fully option a lot more than under option.
That's what I said to the Sales Manager, lol.
Especially they are located where money is not a problem for most of the buyer.
Most would just buy the car just because it is the most expensive on the lot, while not understanding what is special with the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #22
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Why not just opt for the factory offering of BW audio?
I would have in a heart beat - if it was available . When I ordered my G05, the HK was the only system available.

Ideally I would have the B&W system and add a separate, custom 10” subwoofer/amp hidden in the trunk space are. That would have been ideal for me...
Appreciate 0