BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Pete7_li
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Weird Underbody (maybe)/Rear Squeaking Noise?

Hi all, has anyone experienced a strange squeaking noise coming from the underbody? It sounds like (for lack of a better description) a rubber chicken squeak toy. I heard it on a few occasions over the last few months going over manholes/speed bumps at parking lot speed, and the noise was very brief. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't duplicate it (of course).

But today, the squeak lasted a good 4-5 seconds in the first mile or so of driving (then nothing after I was ready to record it); and the pitch changes a little as I was going down the road, which led me to think it may be suspension related (I don't have air suspension). In terms of driving conditions, temperature is the first much cooler day in my area (50-55F), I was going about 30-40mph, heard it with driver's window open.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences....

Last edited by Pete7_li; 10-18-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7_li View Post
Hi all, has anyone experienced a strange squeaking noise coming from the underbody? It sounds like (for lack of a better description) a rubber chicken squeak toy. I heard it on a few occasions over the last few months going over manholes/speed bumps at parking lot speed, and the noise was very brief. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't duplicate it (of course).

But today, the squeak lasted a good 4-5 seconds in the first mile or so of driving (then nothing after I was ready to record it); and the pitch changes a little as I was going down the road, which led me to think it may be suspension related (I don't have air suspension). In terms of driving conditions, temperature is the first much cooler day in my area (50-55F), I was going about 30-40mph, heard it with driver's window open.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences....

I had the same noise about a month ago for a couple hours... Wanted to show my wife and then it disappeared - ???

Hasn't returned! Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Pete7_li
Private
Rep

Thank you! It's at the dealer now, hope they will find a cause...Here's an audio clip from last weekend if anyone has or may experience it.

Last edited by Pete7_li; 10-15-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Totalangle
Rep
Drives: 335+M5

Weird underbody (Maybe Suspension Related) Squeaking Noise?

Hi I have the same issue, I like to say it's like you blowing in a Kazoo for 1- 4 sec. definitely rear of the vehicle and cooler days. I have air suspension and rear steering.

Pete do you have rear steering(HSR) ? I have a good audio clip too that ill try to post.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Thank you! It's at the dealer now, hope they will find a cause...Here's an audio clip from last weekend if anyone has or may experience it.

Sounds like you need a plumber! Very bazaar sound indeed. That audio clip should be enough for any dealer to know there's an issue in the event they say they can't hear it themselves when driving the car.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Pete7_li
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalangle View Post
Hi I have the same issue, I like to say it's like you blowing in a Kazoo for 1- 4 sec. definitely rear of the vehicle and cooler days. I have air suspension and rear steering.

Pete do you have rear steering(HSR) ? I have a good audio clip too that ill try to post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Sounds like you need a plumber! Very bazaar sound indeed. That audio clip should be enough for any dealer to know there's an issue in the event they say they can't hear it themselves when driving the car.
I don't have air suspension or rear steering...guess we at least eliminated those possibilities. I just got my car back last night from the dealer from trying to diagnose that...they couldn't duplicate it, did an inspection and couldn't find any faults. But they have the audio clip, and told me they sent the audio clip to BMW HQ (I'm guessing technical folks) for their take and will get back to me in a few days...so we will see. Glad I'm not the only one having this issue but share your frustration.

And for reference in case anyone is curious, my X5 is a March 2019 build (leased in April) and has just over 5,000 miles.

Last edited by Pete7_li; 10-17-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have air suspension or rear steering...guess we at least eliminated those possibilities. I just got my car back last night from the dealer from trying to diagnose that...they couldn't duplicate it, did an inspection and couldn't find any faults. But they have the audio clip, and told me they sent the audio clip to BMW HQ (I'm guessing technical folks) for their take and will get back to me in a few days...so we will see. Glad I'm not the only one having this issue but share your frustration.

And for reference in case anyone is curious, my X5 is a March 2019 build (leased in April) and has just over 5,000 miles.
Does it only make the noise when going over bumps, manholes, etc or will it do it on smooth pavement as well. It just sounds like someone plunging a toilet so something liquid comes to mind. Lots of air in your cooling system, etc so I was looking for correlations or what triggers the sound to happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Pete7_li
Private
Rep

Quote:
Does it only make the noise when going over bumps, manholes, etc or will it do it on smooth pavement as well. It just sounds like someone plunging a toilet so something liquid comes to mind. Lots of air in your cooling system, etc so I was looking for correlations or what triggers the sound to happen.
The first few times were over manhole covers at parking lot speeds and the sound was a short squeak. In the last few weeks, it's over fairly smooth roads at higher speeds. I heard it earlier today and I was going about 50 mph and it was first time I heard it with the window closed. Couple other data points: incline of the road makes no difference - heard it on both downhill and uphill; more pronounced in cooler conditions. It's not there all the time, usually a few seconds at most in the first few miles, then nothing...

Totalangle's description of a kazoo is pretty accurate, as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The first few times were over manhole covers at parking lot speeds and the sound was a short squeak. In the last few weeks, it's over fairly smooth roads at higher speeds. I heard it earlier today and I was going about 50 mph and it was first time I heard it with the window closed. Couple other data points: incline of the road makes no difference - heard it on both downhill and uphill; more pronounced in cooler conditions. It's not there all the time, usually a few seconds at most in the first few miles, then nothing...

Totalangle's description of a kazoo is pretty accurate, as well.
Can you make more recordings?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #10
Pete7_li
Private
Rep

Quote:
Can you make more recordings?
Yep; will give it another go this weekend and share if I can get a better quality clip.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Yep; will give it another go this weekend and share if I can get a better quality clip.
borrow a gopro and clip in on the fender, video and sound would help.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #12
Totalangle
Rep

Hi there here is the link to youtube I just posted. speedy driving 30- 40, seam to happen "after" the vehicle was accelerated. but the noise usual happen on coast/decal/ or light steady throttle.

you might need to cut and paste the link, not sure how to embed the video right in the sight.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
Pete7_li
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalangle View Post
Hi there here is the link to youtube I just posted. speedy driving 30- 40, seam to happen "after" the vehicle was accelerated. but the noise usual happen on coast/decal/ or light steady throttle.

you might need to cut and paste the link, not sure how to embed the video right in the sight.
Totalangle - Do you mind if I share this with my dealer service advisor since they are talking to BMW directly about this?

Last edited by Pete7_li; 10-17-2019 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #14
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

We heard this same sound today for the first time. Ours was built in July 2019.

i ll be very interested in what you find out.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #15
Totalangle
Rep

Pete fell free to share if you think it's the same noise. I like the go pro idea I might try that too. My audio clip was the I phone in the back set. It very interment but worse on cool morning for the first 1hr of driving. Never noticed on bumps just normal road and it seams outside the vehicle. It will happen in all 3 modes comfort/sport/eco. 30-80. Occasional it will do it after accelerating on to the highway. Very int. And hard make it happen. Ie at the dealer
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #16
FrozenGas
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

I would like to confirm I have the EXACT same noise, tested with similar driving situation as Totalangle - mine was built in Sept 2019 - booked into the dealer next week - the sound Totalangle did will help a lot - if you have similar noise, please go to your local dealer and make a request to look into it with your and Totalangle’s recording - the more people who reports this the more and faster BMW will come up with a response/solution - hope this is not serious or another recall will be issued....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #17
Pete7_li
Private
Rep

Here's a new video/sound clip I took this morning. Totalangle is right that it's coming from the rear as this was taken from the back seat with windows closed; between 40-65mph; temperature ~45-50F outside. It went on for a good 20 seconds, sent it to the dealer.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #18
FrozenGas
Private
Rep

Yup - same here - from the rear for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #19
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's a new video/sound clip I took this morning. Totalangle is right that it's coming from the rear as this was taken from the back seat with windows closed; between 40-65mph; temperature ~45-50F outside. It went on for a good 20 seconds, sent it to the dealer.
That sounds quite a bit diff than what I heard before, this time it sounds repetitive like something that is scraping on a rotation. However, you said you were going between 40-65mph, right? I did not pick up on a frequency change that would correlate to your speed increase.

Sorta sounds like when a bit of oxidation forms on rotors overnight or after washing the car and then when driving, the brake pads slowly grind it off. If so, its normal and easy to test. Once you take off and you are hearing it, you apply your brakes rather hard in both forward and reverse so as to grind it off both front and rear brakes. Its more common to hear it in the rear since the rear brakes don't see the pressure as much which is why you need to get up to a little speed in reverse and then hit the brakes. If you do this and it goes away, then I wouldn't worry.

The other way to test it is to first just look at your rear rotors, are they oxidized? Not sure on the G05 but if its possible to put it in neutral and turn the car off, you can jack up the rears and spin the tire by hand and listen. One other thing to look for is the brake dust shield, possibly its a little out of whack (bent) and might be scraping against the rotor as it turns.

Well, those are some thoughts off the top of my head, if you do get it solved, let us know.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #20
FrozenGas
Private
Rep

Wanna bring this back for update - dealer checked - of course they can NOT duplicate the noise - kept the car for 2 days - came back, weirdly noise disappeared for awhile but just came back today AGAIN for roughly 2 seconds.

Anyone else have updates from dealers in regards to this weird noise???
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #21
rcrc
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90

Finally others with the same issue!! I've been dealing with this for the last month. Also took to the dealer and they could not duplicate. Augist 19 build, 2020 model. Comes and goes. Can't duplicate if I tried. Annoying, but at least so far does not seem to have any other impact on the ride. Will keep others posted if we find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #22
FrozenGas
Private
Rep

Mine is the same - everything looks fine. Dealer advised to go back if sound happens more often so they can “catch” it.
Appreciate 0