BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #23
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I'm still not sure how I feel about the extended leather missing the center tunnel section. I am a bit annoyed that the glass controls took away the volume button, but it's a $40 fix so I'm not freaking or anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #24
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
I'm still not sure how I feel about the extended leather missing the center tunnel section. I am a bit annoyed that the glass controls took away the volume button, but it's a $40 fix so I'm not freaking or anything.
I didn't opt for glass controls so volume knob wasn't an egregious issue but I understand how it is for owners who do.

The center tunnel trim not covered in leather is a horrible piece of large black trim which your left/right knee rests upon.

BMWNA should just rename Extended Merino to just Merino since there's nothing extended with the leather option now.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #25
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcnaughton View Post
Last week thursday i put in an order for an x5 fully loaded... Got a text today saying that they wanted to downgrade to the base system leaving everything as it is. Doesn't sound like they will honor what I ordered.
If BMW can’t supply the HK system right now, then they actually can’t honor it. But you deserve compensation/options, or else walk away.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

HK is still available in the 3 Series. I wonder if it is only US made vehicles that are effected.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 02-28-2021 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to HUD since that report was not correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #27
BRB-Prsch928S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
Please let us know what they offer in compensation. I'm looking for ideas.
I was told it is a $750 reduction in the Premium Pkg cost. Online build tool doesn't reflect that yet, but apparently when built at the dealer it does.

Does anyone know if it possible to retrofit a HK system to a vehicle equipped with the base HiFi? Speakers, Amp, what else? Coding?

Just thinking ahead if I proceed with my order without the HK, and I can't stomach the base HiFi system - if the components become available later, could they be installed and work? Maybe even source needed components from a wreck/dismantler?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #28
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
HK, and the HUD, is still available in the 3 Series. I wonder if it is only US made vehicles that are effected.
Its been quite the year since the Pandemic hit and we've been impacted in just about every aspect of our lives, some of which you wouldn't notice until you go to do something and find the rules have changed due to the virus. I can understand supply issues, I mean you can't have 112 million people sickened by the virus and 2.5 million dead and expect everything to remain as it was before the virus hit.

What really bothers me is no notification from BMW on their build site of features and options that have disappeared, though I can sort of understand that if they did that, it would help drive potential customers to the competitor. The members of this forum are relatively small in comparison to all who will buy a new X5 without knowledge of this forum and will simply accept what they see being offered. Still, for me, it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth to now become aware of the secret disappearance of certain features/options yet the pricing remains the same. This puts BMW in the sub luxo class akin to the KIA's, Hyundai's and Toyota's of the world. Between this and the shaggy BMW dealerships that seem to never end, its a real shame.
Personally I would prefer it if they would post a statement that certain items are, and I'd like to use the word temporarily, removed from new builds and the pricing lowered appropriately until supply levels can be replenished. At least this gives potential buyers the hope that if they wait, they can buy what they want. Well, I guess what I'm saying is there has to be a better way to handle this.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

^ Like you said, the forum members here represent a very small portion of those who will buy an X5. Given that, I can understand BMW's thinking in not advertising that options aren't available. Most consumers won't know what they aren't getting so why confuse the situation. They likely come to the conclusion that they will net more customers now rather than counting on potential buyers waiting some indeterminate amount of time for an option to come back. In may not seem right for us but in the end most of us have a affection for BMW and will either buy now anyway or wait for the options to come back.
      02-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #30
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

FWIW the base Hi-Fi system sounds decent for what it is. The problem is power, if you listen to music with the windows down it doesn't have enough power to overcome the wind noise. I sampled both before getting ours and I made the decision to go with HK not entirely on sound but I like to have the window down and music up.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #31
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
Heard tonight that BMW issued a bulletin that the HK option will no longer be offered on the X5 or X6 due to parts issues. Must be the chip shortage that everyone is facing.
I have a X5 xDrive40I that was ordered 2/5/21 and I have checked my status of the build via "My BMW" and it is in their build schedule. It was originally scheduled to build between 2/26 and 3/20. My build sheet remains as I ordered and the HK is still listed in my Executive Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #32
fernyweb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 s40i // 2013 F30

I have a My21 with production build 2/16 en route and can confirm that HK was installed in vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:33 PM   #33
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

As I work for a tier 1 supplier to BMW Spartanburg Plant, there is always a "Pipeline" of parts to meet demands. Depending on where a particular part is manufactured will dictate how many parts are in said pipeline. I am not sure when the HK was removed from option lists but their system knows "what is on the water" so to speak and where every part in each vehicle is. If an order was accepted to have HK in it most likely it will be there. there was most likely a rather large buffer of HK systems in hand to cover any order even well after it was removed from option listing.
IMO
Appreciate 5
volodp193.50
Beefcake188.00
Ibiza3479.50
      02-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #34
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardea View Post
As I work for a tier 1 supplier to BMW Spartanburg Plant, there is always a "Pipeline" of parts to meet demands. Depending on where a particular part is manufactured will dictate how many parts are in said pipeline. I am not sure when the HK was removed from option lists but their system knows "what is on the water" so to speak and where every part in each vehicle is. If an order was accepted to have HK in it most likely it will be there. there was most likely a rather large buffer of HK systems in hand to cover any order even well after it was removed from option listing.
IMO
Makes sense
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #35
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Quote:
IMO
Well I guess we'll see. I ordered last Friday. Had no indication this might be an issue. Had the order printed to make sure I knew what I paid for. Of course that just says "premium package". Who would imagine the goal post would be changed mid game. I paid the old price for the package with HK. Even when I called today my dealer guy had no clue what I was talking about. I don't think he was the sharpest tool in the shed, but I wiuld hope this would be a major thing at a dealership. I am afraid they are just going to take off the price difference (if that) and assume that makes me satisfied. The fact that I am paying top dollar for a car with a car rental stereo in it is just a major unsat to me. An 800 dollar compensation does not fix that.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #36
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB-Prsch928S View Post
I was told it is a $750 reduction in the Premium Pkg cost. Online build tool doesn't reflect that yet, but apparently when built at the dealer it does.

Does anyone know if it possible to retrofit a HK system to a vehicle equipped with the base HiFi? Speakers, Amp, what else? Coding?

Just thinking ahead if I proceed with my order without the HK, and I can't stomach the base HiFi system - if the components become available later, could they be installed and work? Maybe even source needed components from a wreck/dismantler?
If you bought the components new, I’m betting that it would cost a lot more to retrofit the HK system than the discount they would give in not having it, especially if someone else is doing the labor.

Wasn’t there a thread where someone looked at retrofitting the spare tire that goes under the cargo bay floor, and it was many times the $150 option cost?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #37
jcottonfieldx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
Quote:
IMO
Well I guess we'll see. I ordered last Friday. Had no indication this might be an issue. Had the order printed to make sure I knew what I paid for. Of course that just says "premium package". Who would imagine the goal post would be changed mid game. I paid the old price for the package with HK. Even when I called today my dealer guy had no clue what I was talking about. I don't think he was the sharpest tool in the shed, but I wiuld hope this would be a major thing at a dealership. I am afraid they are just going to take off the price difference (if that) and assume that makes me satisfied. The fact that I am paying top dollar for a car with a car rental stereo in it is just a major unsat to me. An 800 dollar compensation does not fix that.
Confirmation that my order went through today with a $750 price reduction due to HK change to standard.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #38
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillbimmer View Post
If you bought the components new, I’m betting that it would cost a lot more to retrofit the HK system than the discount they would give in not having it, especially if someone else is doing the labor.

Wasn’t there a thread where someone looked at retrofitting the spare tire that goes under the cargo bay floor, and it was many times the $150 option cost?
I agree. I was told by the dealer to get the trailer hitch from factory, it is a $550 option. If dealer had to install it, it would be around $2,500.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 06:21 PM   #39
Bmw2626
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Well, I was going to trade in my 2015 35i and order a new X5 in March so car arrived when it got a little warmer outside. Got a quote in hand and everything. This HK thing now has me on hold. No way I’m ordering a $85k car with a crappy stock radio. Am I off on this? I guess I need to check the Mercedes offering out. Haven’t looked at them yet, but going to. I guess the only way I would continue now is if the dealer discounted further to at least partially offset the cost of a third party upgrade...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 06:30 PM   #40
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Not to mention soft close doors and heated/cooled cup holders
So glad I have all that in my 2020! I am in the market for a second SAV and was immediately going for another loaded X5, but will wait to see if everything is back for 2022. Looking at an X3m40i, but it has even less tech and may wait to see what the 2022 LCI brings. Fortunately I am in no hurry as my 328 will be kept and used as a back up buying either vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:10 PM   #41
Ebomb808
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

I ordered an x45e on January 26, in production as of February 15, build date in the upcoming days. Contacted my dealer today and they confirmed my vehicle will still have HK sound. FWIW, they stated that cars without HK sound will be identified as "Premium 2 Package" in the order system.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 10:57 PM   #42
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Damn looks like I might have to cancel my order. I've had a few bmw's before with the base sound system and it sounds like trash. Definitely not fit for a $80k car
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      02-24-2021, 11:23 PM   #43
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

This sucks - at least an option to upgrade to B&W in all trims would help but I’m sure there is limited supply for that system due to the cost and expected lower volume sales for that option.

Wonder how they’ll handle replacement parts if someone’s HK goes on the fritz. Not saying this is BMW’s fault per se, just strange times we’re in.

I’m just hoping I can avoid any warranty work needing replacement parts for a loooong while (if at all). I’ve already seen some horror stories with super long wait times for parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 11:31 PM   #44
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

I'm just curious as to what is the next shoe to drop. The issue is the availability of semiconductor material. And there's a lot of that in this car.
Appreciate 0