BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #1
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Adding hitch for bike rack

I think I've decided on an X5MC for my next vehicle.

The only issue holding me back is that I go mountain biking about 3x per week. So a tow hitch is a must for me to mount my bike bike to. Currently using a Kuat NV 2.0.

I am aware that the X5M cannot be configured with the factory tow pkg. It seems that the stealth hitch is the answer to that problem.

My concern with the stealth hitch is that the hitch receiver is mounted below the rear bumper, and with the lowered suspension of the X5M, I'm concerned that the bike rack will be too close to the ground.

The rack sticks straight out of the hitch about 32" or so.

I'm afraid a mildly steep driveway or dip/hill will make the rack contact the ground.

Anybody already go through this? Is the ground clearance an issue or am I over-thinking this?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I think I've decided on an X5MC for my next vehicle...My concern with the stealth hitch is that the hitch receiver is mounted below the rear bumper, and with the lowered suspension of the X5M, I'm concerned that the bike rack will be too close to the ground.
"Lowered suspension"? Do you mean you plan on lowering it aftermarket? Obv a solution would be to not do that.

Also, curious are you ordering from a local SD dealer? Which one?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep

No, not planning on lowering the car at all. I'm just talking about how the X5M is low already from the factory.

None of the SD dealers ever want to discount much. I always end up buying my BMWs from the LA area.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
No, not planning on lowering the car at all. I'm just talking about how the X5M is low already from the factory.

None of the SD dealers ever want to discount much. I always end up buying my BMWs from the LA area.
I don't think it is any lower from factory. If it is you'd be talking under 1", but with that being said you are talking like 7 -8" of ground clearance.

Corrected: I've lowered my X5M almost 2" and at rear bumper is 13", you will be fine.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #5
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Heh, from the chatter around here you'd think it was the highest riding SUV on the market with the "OMG wheel gap" . I'm glad you wont be lowering, an SUV isn't meant to ride a sedan's height lol. Also if you're basing your assumption on "low already from the factory" based on photos from this forum, just know that many have chosen to lower their vehicles (and open up a pandora's box of noises that are still being sorted out).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Heh, from the chatter around here you'd think it was the highest riding SUV on the market with the "OMG wheel gap" . I'm glad you wont be lowering, an SUV isn't meant to ride a sedan's height lol. Also if you're basing your assumption on "low already from the factory" based on photos from this forum, just know that many have chosen to lower their vehicles (and open up a pandora's box of noises that are still being sorted out).
Noises are fixed by tightening a bolt about 15lbs more. I wouldn't call that pandora's box
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12963.50
      03-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Noises are fixed by tightening a bolt about 15lbs more. I wouldn't call that pandora's box
Yea but it was a long and winding road to get to that point based on the other thread. And I guess time will tell if that was the 100% solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
I think I've decided on an X5MC for my next vehicle.

The only issue holding me back is that I go mountain biking about 3x per week. So a tow hitch is a must for me to mount my bike bike to. Currently using a Kuat NV 2.0.

I am aware that the X5M cannot be configured with the factory tow pkg. It seems that the stealth hitch is the answer to that problem.

My concern with the stealth hitch is that the hitch receiver is mounted below the rear bumper, and with the lowered suspension of the X5M, I'm concerned that the bike rack will be too close to the ground.

The rack sticks straight out of the hitch about 32" or so.

I'm afraid a mildly steep driveway or dip/hill will make the rack contact the ground.

Anybody already go through this? Is the ground clearance an issue or am I over-thinking this?
This SUV is high enough where bike rack wouldn't be a problem.
Even with 1" lowering you'll be fine.
Think about how many sedans that are lower then SUV and still rocking bicycle rack with no problem.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      03-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Yea but it was a long and winding road to get to that point based on the other thread. And I guess time will tell if that was the 100% solution.
It is long and winding road because of BMW's design flaw, not the lowering spring flaw.

I don't want to Hi-Jack OP's thread.
But this is a long discussion if you want to know how I came to that conclusion.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      03-08-2021, 11:24 PM   #10
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Top of Stealth Hitch 2" reciever is 13" above ground at factory F95 comp height. I just had mine installed at their HQ last Friday. I tow a multitude of things from a cargo carrier and bike rack to a 28 foot travel trailer. I'm lowering mine an inch and a quarter in a couple of weeks after PPF. At factory height, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 11:55 PM   #11
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Top of Stealth Hitch 2" reciever is 13" above ground at factory F95 comp height. I just had mine installed at their HQ last Friday. I tow a multitude of things from a cargo carrier and bike rack to a 28 foot travel trailer. I'm lowering mine an inch and a quarter in a couple of weeks after PPF. At factory height, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Thanks for measuring.

According to those specs, the stealth hitch on the X5M will be be 1.5" lower to the ground than on our GLS550 which I currently use to carry my bike.

So it ill be lower, but 1.5" probably isn't that big of deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #12
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Thanks for measuring.

According to those specs, the stealth hitch on the X5M will be be 1.5" lower to the ground than on our GLS550 which I currently use to carry my bike.

So it ill be lower, but 1.5" probably isn't that big of deal.
I'm in the same boat almost. I have the same rack that I use on a GLS and Toyota FJ. I added a stealth hitch to the GLS and use the Kuat Hi-Lo hitch extension with the NV 2.0. The Hi-Lo hitch will raise (or lower) the rack. I felt the rack was too low without it with my stealth hitch on the GLS, plus it helped move the rack away from the vehicle, which also helps because the stealth hitch seems a bit recessed relative to a factory hitch.

https://www.kuatracks.com/product/hi-lo-pro/

Keep us posted, as I want to get an X5M when my M4 lease ends. What bike do you ride?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #13
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep

I got a Trek Rail 7 emtb a few months ago. Love it.

I've seen the hi/lo extension which can effectively raise the hitch 2", but I don't want/need the extension part. Extending the rack out another 10" or so negates the 2" increase in height.

Not sure what to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #14
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I am using a 1UP rack with two extensions when i need them with my Stealth Hitch. The extensions are stepped. Each extension is "stepped" a few inches higher. Solid, light and well built rack and folds up for storage.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #15
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

do you have the 8SL option in your F95? cause i don't see it on my window sticker nor an option. i am not sure how some were able to get it! or does it come by default but not mentioned on sticker?

the stealth hitch , do you need to order the full kit (w/wires) if you don't have 8SL?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #16
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Scroll down to March the tenth......

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805963
Appreciate 1
hdahman236.50