Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I could be wrong but I believe that the light conditions for the high beam will also need to be met in order for them to kick on. In other words, coding the anti-dazzle doesn't change the light level required for the auto high beams to turn on. I'm sure someone who has done the coding can confirm/correct that.
I believe that's true as well but I'm basing my theory on my driving experience thus far.

I live in a quiet neighborhood and even though are streets are well lit, around twilight the auto high beams will usually kick on if there's no cars around. Leads me to believe if I had anti-dazzle and there were cars around it would still kick on and adjust the projection accordingly.

Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can shed some light (LOL...see what I did there?) on this.
My main beams kick in at dusk on non-highways at low speed (30-40mph). They'll stay on at the near side most of the time when the other conditions are met.

Was that illuminating enough for you?
Appreciate 4
smomin23311.00
codex57214.00
Paladin15556.00
      03-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #46
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
[
I believe that's true as well but I'm basing my theory on my driving experience thus far.

I live in a quiet neighborhood and even though are streets are well lit, around twilight the auto high beams will usually kick on if there's no cars around. Leads me to believe if I had anti-dazzle and there were cars around it would still kick on and adjust the projection accordingly.

Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can shed some light (LOL...see what I did there?) on this.
My main beams kick in at dusk on non-highways at low speed (30-40mph). They'll stay on at the near side most of the time when the other conditions are met.

Ifr, your contributions have once again proven to be enlightening
ifr1198.00
Paladin15556.00
      03-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #47
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
[

Ifr, your contributions have once again proven to be enlightening
Nice to be appreciated.

Brightened up my day
Appreciate 4
smomin23311.00
codex57214.00
Paladin15556.00
      03-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #48
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Thank you all for shedding light on this dazzling topic 🙂
smomin23311.00
ifr1198.00
Paladin15556.00
      03-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #49
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Assume you have the coding process done to enable the anti-dazzle functionality in the USA, how much is lost when a firmware update is later applied? I know that the removal of the module does not get redone, but are the other module changes something that could be reset using say BimmerCode, or is it another session with the original provider, just maybe not as significant? I know BimmerCode doesn’t support this functionality update, but not sure of the switches in other modules are accessible.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #50
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

Thanks VTENGR for the explanation! I'm technically inclined but have no experience with coding.

I'm very interested in coding the anti-dazzle, whether I learn it myself or have it done remotely.

It sounds like the VO coding will stick but the other will require updating after new firmware.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #51
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 (G05) 50i

Are the videos out there more or less how to do the coding applicable to the G05?

I wish we just had a sticky with the right information.

Think I’m gonna attempt to tackle this shortly.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #52
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Have fun 👍

03-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #53
Tehnoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i, X6Mc

Thank you for this I’ve been looking for it for months!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #54
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 (G05) 50i

I had posted in the other thread, forgot about this one. Here is what i did to get it working on my G05.

Coded my anti-dazzle tonight. I updated all of my computers to 3/2021 with ISTA earlier today, and then tackled the lights with esysx, esys version 3.36.2 and psdzdata of 4.28.22.

i removed 5AP then updated BDC_Body3, Kafas4, FLM (both), Dkombi.

Then I went in and changed the following:

FDL Code the following in Kafas 40F9:
COUNTRY_VARIATION Europe_RC [01]
C_FLA_BS_ENTER_THRESH Rest of world [03]
C_FLA_BS_EXIT_THRESH: Rest of world [02]

Also code the following in 40F9:
C_FLA_CC_MESSAGE_3:
CC_message_active to no_CC_message [00]
C_FLA_US_SENSITIVITY_MODE:
US to Normal [00]

I did the additional coding since i saw some on newer than 3/2020 possibly had issues, so figured i'd just go ahead and do it.

Just got back from a test drive and everything was working great, could see it blocking out for an oncoming car, and also followed one for awhile and said it block out for the car in front, but still have lights on the sides. Really cool!
Appreciate 3
LexxM31698.50
IFlyX5236.50
      04-06-2021, 06:16 AM   #55
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

r33_RGSport coded this for me, and several other options.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 10:01 PM   #56
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Can I code anti dazzle on adaptive LED

Is there any advantage to coding anti dazzle with adaptive LRDs? Is it even possible?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 12:12 AM   #57
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The anti-dazzle functionality works with both the LED and laser adaptive headlights. With the laser version, you'll get a longer beam coverage when the conditions allow it, but the carving out for traffic should work on either once enabled.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 04:40 AM   #58
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnbobby View Post
Thanks to everyone for all of the detailed explanations on coding. I am coming from a lifetime of Acura ownership so BMW ECU coding is new to me.

But being a tech geek I understand what the issue is.

Question. Without coding, what then is the advantage of the laser lights vs standard LEDs? Is it just that the high beams are a bit brighter on the lasers? Are the low beam outputs the same?

I’m asking because the only reason I wanted the executive package was the laser lights and my perception that they’re significantly better than the stock LEDs that some with the premium package.

Looking for all opinions. Thanks so much. This seems to be a really passionate owners group. Similar to the groups on Acurazine.
Long story short - it’s the same crap. You won’t see the difference unless you drive to some deep jungle a$$hole where these lasers would apparently light the way for you “6k miles away”

But don’t you like how it sounds?? “BMW Laser”.

Holly crap!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18170.00
      06-18-2021, 11:51 PM   #59
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The US implementation of the laser headlights has them producing less intensity than those sold elsewhere (I think it's partly the supplied voltage is lower) and, obviously, the DOT hasn't approved the dynamic capabilities of the lamps...the codes are pretty much stuck in the 1960's that requires two modes: low beam and high beams and gives illumination levels and positioning requirements; the anti-dazzle capabilities have not been approved for use here. There was hope it would happen last fall, but we're now at least 9-months from that expected date, and who knows if, or when, it will change. Prior to that, technically, enabling it could cause a vehicle to fail an inspection, but it would be a big stretch for them to actually do that or catch someone with that enabled. Here's hoping the DOT approves it, and we get it enabled in an OTA updated. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Certain roads, terrain, and lighting conditions will make the laser lights obvious, then keep in mind, they do not get enabled below about 38mph, so running around in many areas, they will make absolutely no difference because they're just not turned on. Where I typically drive, I just can't actually use my high beams much at all.

If you're in an area where you can enable high beams, driving through that speed switch should show the difference...prior to that, you're relying entirely on the visible LED lamps (the lasers are LED, but not actually in the visible range...they shine backwards and cause phosphors to glow).
Appreciate 1
ladra17.50
      03-10-2022, 07:51 PM   #60
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90/G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Yes - that would be mostly true but BMW updated the software 03/2020.xx to make it such that some FDL coding is required even after the VO code to remove anti dazzle is done. So to correctly describe what will happen - the VO code that removes the "decode anti-dazzle" feature will remain intact after software updates. However, you'll have to redo all the FLD coding to re-enable it.
5AP is not listed in SALAPA-Element so it appears that the VO coding stuck after the OTA software update.
Do I still need to VO code the following modules before FDL coding KAFAS?
-BDC_Body
-HU_MGU
-FLM2 (both)
-KAFAS
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 07:54 PM   #61
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknbimmers View Post
Quote:
Yes - that would be mostly true but BMW updated the software 03/2020.xx to make it such that some FDL coding is required even after the VO code to remove anti dazzle is done. So to correctly describe what will happen - the VO code that removes the "decode anti-dazzle" feature will remain intact after software updates. However, you'll have to redo all the FLD coding to re-enable it.
5AP is not listed in SALAPA-Element so it appears that the VO coding stuck after the OTA software update.
Do I still need to VO code the following modules before FDL coding KAFAS?
-BDC_Body
-HU_MGU
-FLM2 (both)
-KAFAS
I didn't. If 5AP is not listed then technically those modules were VO coded when the OTA update happened. I would just go straight to FDL coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 01:39 AM   #62
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't. If 5AP is not listed then technically those modules were VO coded when the OTA update happened. I would just go straight to FDL coding.
My G05 X5 with laser lights was coded for anti dazzle before the software update. As mentioned earlier the 5AP is not listed in SALAPA-Element when reading the FA.
I will attempt to FDL code the KAFAS module next.

This appears to be a BIG debate question but I’ll ask again, can you FDL code with a licensed version of Launcher Pro?
Or is EsysX the only option but has no attainable license.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 08:37 AM   #63
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknbimmers View Post
My G05 X5 with laser lights was coded for anti dazzle before the software update. As mentioned earlier the 5AP is not listed in SALAPA-Element when reading the FA.
I will attempt to FDL code the KAFAS module next.

This appears to be a BIG debate question but I’ll ask again, can you FDL code with a licensed version of Launcher Pro?
Or is EsysX the only option but has no attainable license.
I think most people, myself included, use EsysX to get your token to code with Esys. I tried with launcher pro first, but it seems like TokenMaster was not supporting the latest versions of Esys. I'm not sure what you mean about no attainable license for EsysX. Did the developer stop supporting the software? I just went to the website and paid for a license and within a few minutes I had it in my email.
I haven't coded my car in awhile, so I'm not 100% up-to-date on the coding scene.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #64
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think most people, myself included, use EsysX to get your token to code with Esys. I tried with launcher pro first, but it seems like TokenMaster was not supporting the latest versions of Esys. I'm not sure what you mean about no attainable license for EsysX. Did the developer stop supporting the software? I just went to the website and paid for a license and within a few minutes I had it in my email.
I haven't coded my car in awhile, so I'm not 100% up-to-date on the coding scene.
You can no longer purchase EsysX due to the passing of one of their team members. No doubt they would continue to support existing clients.
In my case I should of, would have purchased EsysX earlier but never did.

Mission completed, will test this evening.
Thank you for the assistance VTENGR
Attached Images

Last edited by lknbimmers; 03-11-2022 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #65
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

Without coding, what then is the advantage of the laser lights vs standard LEDs?
Quote:
In the US - many will argue this point but I'll say it anyway - it's mostly for looks. The addition of cornering lights is nice, but for me 100% looks.
This.

The lasers are the worst illuminating fancy lights I've had. A rental suburban (and Expedition) had/has better illumination than my 2022 lasers. And if you break a laser, it's $3500 each. According to a BMW engineer I heard from the idea is being able to see at extreme distances at very high speed vs a wide illumination pattern; this guy breaks that down:

So it's really about looks and knowing the risk of damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 06:21 PM   #66
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Without coding, what then is the advantage of the laser lights vs standard LEDs?
Quote:
In the US - many will argue this point but I'll say it anyway - it's mostly for looks. The addition of cornering lights is nice, but for me 100% looks.
This.

The lasers are the worst illuminating fancy lights I've had. A rental suburban (and Expedition) had/has better illumination than my 2022 lasers. And if you break a laser, it's $3500 each. According to a BMW engineer I heard from the idea is being able to see at extreme distances at very high speed vs a wide illumination pattern; this guy breaks that down:

So it's really about looks and knowing the risk of damage.
Great. This was the only reason I just added the Exec package to my M50i. I do like the looks on mineral white, but I do daily night driving in the mountains and I've wanted to try these since they were released. Especially now with the loss of the LED fog lights that I use every night in a dark winding and often icy canyon. Knock on wood I've never broken a lamp in 30 years of driving. Price not that far really though from our windshields. I've otherwise heard good things and will also be interested in coding the anti-dazzle.
Appreciate 0