Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 50d

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Can coding (Bimmercode) be seen by BMW?

So I coded a few features on my X5 such as Start stop memory, closing windows with open door, video in motion, seatbelt warning off, fog light off when full beams are tuned on.

It went to BMW (thankfully a friend works there) to get a "replace battery" warning cleared after I retrimed the roof in alcantara and a dash cam fitted.

As he read the car all of the coding popped up, going to try reverting to back up and going back to see
I'd they're still seen will report back when I do.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:40 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
yes, if any coding was done, a flag pops up, which could void any warranties if any coding is related to an affected component or system

interested to hear what re-coding back to stock values does...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:54 AM   #3
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pringle View Post

As he read the car all of the coding popped up.
What do you mean by this? Read the car with what?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:

As he read the car all of the coding popped up.
What do you mean by this? Read the car with what?
They have a tool which plugs into the OBD port to read any errors and faults.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
yes, if any coding was done, a flag pops up, which could void any warranties if any coding is related to an affected component or system

Have you tried restoring from back up and the seeing if the coding disappears?

Just saved me from backing it up and taking it to the dealer to see so id anyone knows I'd appreciate it 🙏🏼
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post

Have you tried restoring from back up and the seeing if the coding disappears?

Just saved me from backing it up and taking it to the dealer to see so id anyone knows I'd appreciate it 🙏🏼
no! i think you just misunderstood me. I haven't done any coding yet and was waiting to hear your results after removing your coding
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #7
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They have a tool which plugs into the OBD port to read any errors and faults.
Yes, there are a few tools that can be used. Dealers tend to use ISTA, but that won't pull individual coding changes. It will allow a comparison of the stock FA at build time, and the car's current FA, but Bimmercode doesn't change that.

Esys with the cafd mappings would do it, but they don't have access to that.

There are operational logs, and error logs, plus telemetry, but none relate to specific coding. There is the FASTA data which BMW engineers could probably identify coding changes, but not likely at a dealers.

Did you see them pull up the codes you had set?

genuinely interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Yeah I'll report back when I go to the dealer, but apparently he saw all the coding 🙈
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Personal experience: I have never had any issues with dealers (multiple) with Bimmercode. Several regular maintenance trips, faults addressed and mechanical issues with the cars resolved at the dealers without problems or mentions of coding.

With Bimmercode you're adjusting user preferences, nothing that would void warranty on any components.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:47 AM   #10
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
Personal experience: I have never had any issues with dealers (multiple) with Bimmercode. Several regular maintenance trips, faults addressed and mechanical issues with the cars resolved at the dealers without problems or mentions of coding.

With Bimmercode you're adjusting user preferences, nothing that would void warranty on any components.
Yes you are just selecting options that the manufacturer does have in the car, however if you do get some asshole guy at the dealer he could say some fault was due to it (especially if it's with the electronics).

I mean they'd be hard pressed to try to claim an engine fault is due to it and I'm sure they wouldn't be able to do that either.

I just wrote the post as I thought people would be interested, I spoke to the friend at the dealer today and he told me that can see so much information that they even see "how long each door has been open for".

But I've read a lot of reviews of bimmer code and found many positive reviews so I went ahead and used to for my car as well as my fathers X7 so at the moment I would recommend it as it makes the car much nicer to use.

This brings me to an interesting question:

Has anyone actually had any negative experiences with bimmer code?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #11
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

That's just it though - the car coding changes on a regular basis. Some new apps/features change the coding. I-step upgrades heavily change the coding.
The process used is the same under the hood, as what BMW use to do their in-band changes, so I'm not convinced that a workshop engineer could spot X change using ISTA. There is no desired state config comparison car-side, other than the FA check I mentioned earlier.

They could with esys, and they could visually. They may even spot some error codes that relate to coding, which is why I always clean the error logs, and back-out coding before taking it into the dealership.

ISTA can pull detailed information about most aspects of most systems, but coding is static and would only generate a diag event if the coding triggered something specific. I can view the camber each of my wheels was at at specific points yesterday, but I cant find a flag that says out-of-band coding was performed.

So, in summary, crack on
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #12
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

This topic is dealt numerous years and no issues

Now since I drive gets updated, sometimes coding gets erased.

As long as no ecu flash, you should be good

Or have numerous BMW tech/ service advisor and manager as your friend you are good
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:53 AM   #13
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwerks View Post
Or have numerous BMW tech/ service advisor and manager as your friend you are good
Well that's exactly it for me as I have a friend working in service it's fine, but it does come up as an "error code". I also decided on doing it as I only saw positive reviews and I don't go into expert mode so not doing anything other than ticking the options which were designed by BMW.

I find it a massive relief not having to hit start stop every time I get in! And I recommend doing it myself as companies charge the same amount as it costs to get the Bluetooth OBD adapter and the Bimmercode program
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 10:35 AM   #14
NittanyG05
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 M50i

Garage List
2004 BMW 530i  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5 M50i  [0.00]
Bimmercode Dealer Issue

So I did recently (last weekend) have an issue with Bimmercode and the dealer. I brought the car in (X5 M50i) because it was 1. Losing power when hitting the gas, 2. Nav was getting lost constantly.

When they went over the car they found that 1. There were multiple error codes from bimmercode and 2. An oil seep from the high pressure pump that was running into the injectors.

Now I highly doubt that that bimmercode caused any of these issues, but I did have to pay to have the computer reset to factory before they would move forward with fixing anything. And they did "blame" the issues on bimmercode.
Appreciate 0