BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
stevejin
@sugu.m3
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G05 X5, AP2 S2000

Alarm system randomly going off when parked. Anyone else experiencing this?

As the title states, I've been having issues with the alarm system randomly going off with my 2021 X5, and was wondering if anyone else was having the same issue.

I purchased the car in September of 2020, and everything's been fine until late December when the alarm started going off sporadically. The alarm randomly went off during the day at work and at night when the car was parked in my driveway.

I read that the alarm can potentially be triggered by things hanging on the rearview mirror, so I was hoping that removing my "hanging charm" from the mirror would solve the issue. It didn't, so I decided to take the car to the dealership a few days later. The dealer had my car for a few days to "diagnose" the problem, and told me that they had to do a "software update" and reprogram my car. Unfortunately, this fix only lasted 4 days.

I took the car back, and the service advisor told me the following day that the module needed to be replaced. I was told that the module was on backorder and the ETA would be 3 to 4 weeks. The dealership switched me out of a loaner into a rental because I didn't want to bring the car back home with the alarm going off randomly for another month. The X5 has been sitting at the dealership for 6 weeks now, and the module is supposedly coming next week.

Once I get the car back, I'll update this post to see if the new module solves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejin View Post
As the title states, I've been having issues with the alarm system randomly going off with my 2021 X5, and was wondering if anyone else was having the same issue.

I purchased the car in September of 2020, and everything's been fine until late December when the alarm started going off sporadically. The alarm randomly went off during the day at work and at night when the car was parked in my driveway.

I read that the alarm can potentially be triggered by things hanging on the rearview mirror, so I was hoping that removing my "hanging charm" from the mirror would solve the issue. It didn't, so I decided to take the car to the dealership a few days later. The dealer had my car for a few days to "diagnose" the problem, and told me that they had to do a "software update" and reprogram my car. Unfortunately, this fix only lasted 4 days.

I took the car back, and the service advisor told me the following day that the module needed to be replaced. I was told that the module was on backorder and the ETA would be 3 to 4 weeks. The dealership switched me out of a loaner into a rental because I didn't want to bring the car back home with the alarm going off randomly for another month. The X5 has been sitting at the dealership for 6 weeks now, and the module is supposedly coming next week.

Once I get the car back, I'll update this post to see if the new module solves the issue.
There's an SIB on this issue. I'm surprised your dealer didn't mention this. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...87482-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
stevejin
@sugu.m3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
There's an SIB on this issue. I'm surprised your dealer didn't mention this. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...87482-9999.pdf
Thanks for the link to the SIB!

The dealer (Park Ave BMW in NJ) hasn't been very communicative with what they've been doing with the car. I always had to get in touch with them to find out the status of the car since leaving the car with them 6 weeks ago. Thank goodness they've been using a text messaging system, which has been somewhat convenient in trying to get ahold of them. I'm already typing up my review for this dealership.

I believe what they initially did when I first dropped it off was reprogramming/updating the module(s) following the SIB. Unfortunately for me, the alarm kept going off even after the updates, so I'm assuming that's why they're replacing the module this time.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
stevejin
@sugu.m3
Rep

Update:

Finally got the car back on Monday (3/8), and according to the paperwork the FZD module was replaced, programmed, and encoded.

It's been 3 days since I got the car back and the alarm hasn't been going off randomly anymore (yet).
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4632.50