BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
zztops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i (N26) F30 M SPORT

DAPP capabilities

Hi guys, was trying out DAPP the other day when coming up on a bend in the road, not too large, the car failed to follow the lane and disengaged alerting in yellow lights and continuing into the next lane. Read the manual and saw that the car is supposed to slow down in situations like that to take the turn, but mine just went full speed ahead into the other lane. Haha Wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if anyone has any tips on this?

P.S. hands were on the wheel at all times and I quickly corrected.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #2
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztops View Post
Hi guys, was trying out DAPP the other day when coming up on a bend in the road, not too large, the car failed to follow the lane and disengaged alerting in yellow lights and continuing into the next lane. Read the manual and saw that the car is supposed to slow down in situations like that to take the turn, but mine just went full speed ahead into the other lane. Haha Wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if anyone has any tips on this?

P.S. hands were on the wheel at all times and I quickly corrected.
My limited experience with DAPP was the same. It seemed to do fine when other cars were around but didn't do well on curved roads when I was by myself. I decided to get it anyway because it was great for city traffic driving and I wanted active cruise control. I imagine once I get accustomed to it's limitations, I'll have a better experience with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:25 PM   #3
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
My limited experience with DAPP was the same. It seemed to do fine when other cars were around but didn't do well on curved roads when I was by myself. I decided to get it anyway because it was great for city traffic driving and I wanted active cruise control. I imagine once I get accustomed to it's limitations, I'll have a better experience with it.
Are you saying that DAPP could handle the same curved it failed if there were other cars around
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #4
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

I don’t think so. At higher speeds, some curves are just too tight for the DAPP to make. It’s common on most every system like this. That’s why you should always use as an aid card replacement to driving. I do notice the yellow alert when it thinks it won’t navigate the turn, that’s pretty nice.

I have found slower speeds on the same curve are fine but faster speeds won’t work with the system. Overall I really like it, just wish the lane keep was stronger without having the while DAPP system engaged like in many other cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #5
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Are you saying that DAPP could handle the same curved it failed if there were other cars around
No. Sorry for not being more clear. I was speaking generally. My experience with DAPP as it pertains to curves has not been great. When I test drove my friends X5, I noticed that it had a very difficult time staying within the lines especially when approaching a curve, even with other cars around. Part of understanding the technology's limitations and adapting for optimal use.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 09:27 PM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Couple of points - DAPP needs to "see" lane markers, including roadside markers, to stay in the lane. One of the limitations of all the "lane keeping" systems now, although some "see" better than others. The lane markers in the instrument cluster will turn green (one or both) when the system is active. Lighting, weather, and the condition of the markers (and the camera lenses) all make a difference. Second point - the predictive function of speed correction following the road only works if navigation is active and a destination is set. As noted, knowing the limitations of the system, and being prepared for driver intervention, makes for a better experience.
Appreciate 4
jonatious249.50
JC31674.00
thereef5101164.00
Tenac4537.00
      03-06-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Couple of points - DAPP needs to "see" lane markers, including roadside markers, to stay in the lane. One of the limitations of all the "lane keeping" systems now, although some "see" better than others. The lane markers in the instrument cluster will turn green (one or both) when the system is active. Lighting, weather, and the condition of the markers (and the camera lenses) all make a difference. Second point - the predictive function of speed correction following the road only works if navigation is active and a destination is set. As noted, knowing the limitations of the system, and being prepared for driver intervention, makes for a better experience.
One more reason for me to move from Carplay maps to BMW maps. I just hope the RTTI is decently reliable for traffic info
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:40 AM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

What model year do you have?

MY21 will adapt to known conditions (bend, junction, highway exit, roundabout, etc) by slowing in anticipation. This is shown in cic/ hud as an accepted condition before the deceleration occurs.

Supported vehicles earlier than MY21 need istep 11/2020 or later, and probably coding.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      03-07-2021, 03:45 AM   #9
zztops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i (N26) F30 M SPORT

Quote:
Great tip! This is what I missed! Thank you for making it clear. Will add navigation to many of my destinations going forward. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post

MY21 will adapt to known conditions (bend, junction, highway exit, roundabout, etc) by slowing in anticipation. This is shown in cic/ hud as an accepted condition before the deceleration occurs.

Supported vehicles earlier than MY21 need istep 11/2020 or later, and probably coding.
I have a MY21. Build date of February 2021. I would think it has the same as yours. May be wrong though. Does yours predict conditions outside of the recommended navigation. Like if you were to just turn on active lane assist during regular driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 04:12 AM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztops View Post
Quote:
Great tip! This is what I missed! Thank you for making it clear. Will add navigation to many of my destinations going forward. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post

I have a MY21. Build date of February 2021. I would think it has the same as yours. May be wrong though. Does yours predict conditions outside of the recommended navigation. Like if you were to just turn on active lane assist during regular driving?
It does but you have to indicate if nav isn't running. So with drive assist active it will slow for bends 90% of the time. If I want to take a junction, if you indicate early enough, it acknowledges the next turn off and then slows so you can turn into the road.

I have coded mine so there may be regional differences.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 06:04 AM   #11
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
The X5 feature works well in city traffic. At this point it is not in the same class as what you get in a Tesla. We have a MY and speaking from experience, it not in the same class when it comes to lane keep assist, but even the Tesla has issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 12:41 PM   #12
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Second point - the predictive function of speed correction following the road only works if navigation is active and a destination is set. As noted, knowing the limitations of the system, and being prepared for driver intervention, makes for a better experience.
I totally did not know this, thanks. I too noticed it would randomly slow down on curves sometimes, and other times it would just drift off. I never correlated that I had the navigation system engaged on the days it did slow down on the curve.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #13
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I totally did not know this, thanks. I too noticed it would randomly slow down on curves sometimes, and other times it would just drift off. I never correlated that I had the navigation system engaged on the days it did slow down on the curve.
Ja, I also have Speed Limit Assist set to "adjust to route" which will slow before making turns, a traffic circle, before a curve or stop sign.

Name:  IMG_0889.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  119.7 KB

Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      03-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

The steering and lane control assistant works well for long, wide curves versus short, sharper or narrow curves.

It's a system limitation and require many functional requires to perform as intended, for example:

- Above 43mph, lane markings on both sides need to be detected and below 43mph, lane markings on both sides or a vehicle driving ahead
- Wide curves, sufficient lane width
- No turn signal
- Cruise control with distance control active

Many more covered in manual.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #15
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it's worth clarifying for OP that there are enhancements to the 'Adapt to Route' system on MY21, at least in regions where supported.

It's now called 'adjust speed automatically to route' in idrive, and offers some additional benefits that aren't in the MY20 and earlier manual:
- With nav running it will slow the vehicle for all manoeuvres including junctions. It slows just about perfectly to take the junction. Sometimes its 1 or 2 mph a little too fast for me if I don't have good visibility of the target road
- Without nav running the car will slow for junctions if the driver indicates on the stalk
- On highways it prompts to driver to change lane in cic/hud and via a wiggle of the steering wheel, in preparation for an exit
- The urban bend control is MUCH improved, principally because it now acknowledges and slows for most bends, meaning it doesn't have to disengage cruise because it is already travelling at the right speed for the bend on approach

This video, although in German (set English CC), demonstrates the junction part quite well at around 3:45:
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #16
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Ja, I also have Speed Limit Assist set to "adjust to route" which will slow before making turns, a traffic circle, before a curve or stop sign.
1 year into ownership here's yet another thing i didn't know. How do you activate it while you're using DAPP? Do I have to press the LIM button?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 07:45 PM   #17
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
1 year into ownership here's yet another thing i didn't know. How do you activate it while you're using DAPP? Do I have to press the LIM button?
Easy for the Adapt to Route settings - under Settings:

Name:  20210307_193939.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  234.2 KB

Name:  20210307_194007.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  206.8 KB

Name:  20210307_194030.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  192.6 KB

As far as the LIM button, I've seen videos where even the Genius appears confused as to its function. If you press the button at a particular speed (I believe it has to be 20mph or above), it "limits" your speed by slowing the throttle response as you reach that speed - as you press the accelerator you get less response from the accelerator as you reach the "limit" (and an alarm if you exceed it). You can adjust the "limit" up or down with the control wheel on the left of the steering wheel, just like adjusting the ACC, and It can be overcome by just pressing the accelerator a little harder, but it serves as sort of a reminder, and it shows up as an icon on the left side of the instrument cluster ("LIM" with a little speedometer beside it).

Last edited by Paladin1; 03-07-2021 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
Auricom4360.00
thereef5101164.00