BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2023, 11:40 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

X5M Oil Temp Behavior….

On my 2020 I’ve always noticed the oil temp gauge sit right smack in the middle at 210 degrees. Doesn’t matter if I’m in sport or sport+ mode.

Recently I’ve noticed the oil temps dip below the middle 210 mark I’d say around 190ish if I had to guess. It would dip alittle lower and at some point make it way back to 210 middle spot. I honestly can’t say I noticed this behavior before so not sure if it’s normal or not. What’s weird is that i noticed the oils temps dropping while I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic which is when it should run hotter since there isn’t much air flow. Either the recent software update changed something or when the dealer changed out my drive belts and new water pump it made it more efficient?

Do you notice this happening in your car?

In my old F80 M3 once you switch to Sport+ you will almost immediately see the oil temps drop since the car goes into max cooling. Once you are back in regular or Sport the temps returns back to the middle.

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 05-29-2023 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 10:46 AM   #2
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
I noticed that on my 2020 as well once the weather got warmer. My guess is the dip in oil temp is because the thermostat opened and the coolant (either on turbo side or engine side or both) took some of that heat away. Once the temp lowered, the thermostat closed again and temps returned to “normal”. It may be software controlling the values of the thermostat but as long as the temps aren’t going up, I wouldn’t worry about it at all. I also wouldn’t put too much stock in what the instrument cluster shows. If you really want to track it, use a Bluetooth obd2 dongle and you can view real time data and temps to confirm what you’re seeing.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 12:21 PM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Thanks.

It’s just odd with this car since I could drive on the same exact roads in the same conditions and sometimes the temps are lower and sometimes it’s right in the middle. I guess lower temps is always better than the opposite.

On my F80 the moment I go into Sport+ I can see the temps decline right away.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 02:30 PM   #4
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I noticed exactly the same lower temp behavior in my F95 when in Sport+.

Not only: same thing happens also in Confort mode when outside temperature is above 37°C (about 99° F): the car goes in max cooling mode, maybe also to help not overheating the electronics and plastic fittings under the hood?
Appreciate 0